Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so let’s start with what I have. I drive a 2017 challenger rt with the manual 6 speed transmission. It is stock as far as performance parts go besides a corsa cold air intake, mid muffler delete, and a trinity t1000 programmer. Which none of this actually seems to have made my car any faster or peppier. So now I wanting to purchase a supercharger for it. I have my eye on the whipple 2.9l but have a few questions before I buy it since I have never done forced induction before. Will I need to put forged internals inside my block or will the stock 5.7 support the supercharger? The website says I should gain around 150 horsepower at the rear wheels. I don’t know how much boost it will be running but I don’t want to push it that hard. If I’m not mistaken the 2017 challenger rt manual comes with 375 horsepower stock. I’m wanting to get 450 or so to the rear wheels not the crank. Also does the kit come with everything I need? Or will I need to buy a fuel pump, injectors, etc. before I install the whipple? The next question is will the stock transmission handle that much power? If so, how much power can the stock transmission handle? I’m sorry for all the questions but I don’t know anyone personally that deals with this kind of thing. Thanks I’m advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
So short answer. Running say 6lbs you SHOULD be fine. Like most things nothing is guaranteed. It will be more hp and you will like it for a while. But it will get to a point that you want more.
So without a long drawn out story. Stop. Buy a hellcat. Aftermarket superchargers don’t drive like factory period
Money plan on 9grand for tune and blower and odd stuff you don’t plan or trade yours in take the 9 grand out it down in a car and move on

I am sure there will be a bunch of opinions to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
I can't comment on the whipple, although I think their kit is a little more well thought out. I bought my 8lb maggie kit through Arrington (now under new management and located in Michigan) for $7600 (forgot I returned the PCM) and it came with everything I need to install including a high output fuel pump. Arrington still has their customer builds posted (see first link) and it gives dyno charts along with detail. A while ago I put together a chart showing gains for a 5.7. Trust me you will feel the power. I drove a scat and off the line the scat pulls but once my RT hits 3K rpm it hits redline quick while pushing you back in the seat! I now launch in 2nd gear, wheels a spinning whenever I get the chance. The maggie is quiet and if I stay out of boost the car behaves like stock. When boost hits it is smooth with no surprises, again this is made possible by the tune. BTW the manual trans and rear diff can handle the extra power, same as used on the Scat. Also if you keep it around 8psi you don't need forged pistons provided the tune is solid.

shopHEMI.com

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/power-adders-vs-dyno-numbers-5-7l-623426/?623426=#post7954402

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
So short answer. Running say 6lbs you SHOULD be fine. Like most things nothing is guaranteed. It will be more hp and you will like it for a while. But it will get to a point that you want more.
So without a long drawn out story. Stop. Buy a hellcat. Aftermarket superchargers don’t drive like factory period
Money plan on 9grand for tune and blower and odd stuff you don’t plan or trade yours in take the 9 grand out it down in a car and move on

I am sure there will be a bunch of opinions to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to agree with us1champ on the hell cat. Used ones can be had for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t see myself buying a hellcat just because I like making my own little projects and I would like to build this 5.7 to be a hellcat killer in the long run. I like taking the road less traveled you can say. But thanks for the help. So I should be able to support the whipple kit the way my car is now? A performance shop can use my trinity t1000 tuner to put a custom tune on the car after the supercharger installation correct?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
I don’t see myself buying a hellcat just because I like making my own little projects and I would like to build this 5.7 to be a hellcat killer in the long run. I like taking the road less traveled you can say. But thanks for the help. So I should be able to support the whipple kit the way my car is now? A performance shop can use my trinity t1000 tuner to put a custom tune on the car after the supercharger installation correct?
Yes, the 5.7 can handle a whipple without forged parts as long as boost is under 8psi and tune is solid. A performance shop does not need the trinity as they can load the tune with their equipment. As for hell cat killer, be prepared to spend a lot more money than the cost of a hell cat.

If you are handy, the SC can be installed over the weekend (did mine by myself...only help I had was mounting the SC). I emailed logs to Arrington who would then send tunes. Took several tries to dial it in. Just installed headers so when weather warms up I am going to have it re-tuned.

Just to clarify, if you plan on installing the SC yourself you will need a baseline tune (mine was emailed to me) otherwise you cannot drive the car on the factory tune as it will not run correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The kit that Whipple puts together is very complete and well thought out. I purchased mine through Arrington also, getting them to provide me a base tune took them longer than it should have but everything went well. My SRT is running great but now is getting forged internals and the boost cranked way up. Enjoy

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
That 375 HP stock is more like 320 RWHP since that 375 is at the crank.
Hellcat killer huh... Why not a big 4.2L Kenne bell supercharger then?

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
without a serious engine your not going to turn your 5.7 into a Hellcat killer, not happening

we routinely get 500 whps reliably with 5.7's, Magnuson supercharger with Kooks ling tubes and green catted high flow cats, last one 5.7 whps and 544 ft/lbs at the wheels

currently on special for 11900.00 + applicable taxes, what do you get a new Magnuson supercharger, 8 lbs pulley, stage one fuel system, not a boost pump, Kooks long tubes with green catted high flow cats, professional installation and tuning.....

the 5.7L is significantly more robust than the 6.4 and will take significantly more punishment
Luke:grin2:

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
5.7L Magnuson supercharger 8psi, Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow cats

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
both the Whipple and Kenne Bell will deliver slightly higher horsepower, but both have significantly worst daily driveability

for a great daily driver or weekend warrior with great manners the Magnuson is really the only choice, it delivers the power and boost in a very linear manner

Luke

Reactions: mbflatlander

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
5.7L Magnuson supercharger 8psi, Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow cats

Sweet another datapoint for my table!

Luke-do you guys perform the tunes in house or is it sent out? I had suspicions that Arrington was using an outside tuner.

Really would be nice for Magnuson to finally start selling the TVS2650 units for non-HC applications.

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
Sweet another datapoint for my table!

Luke-do you guys perform the tunes in house or is it sent out? I had suspicions that Arrington was using an outside tuner.

Really would be nice for Magnuson to finally start selling the TVS2650 units for non-HC applications.
Arrington basically no longer exist, we use a local tuner that has been tuning for us for years, and the only guy that touches Bigred.....

Luke

ps, Bigred, 800 whps with a Magnuson 2.3L

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
Agreed. At the end of the day though, if money is not a problem you can get a 700HP R/T to match the hellcats power
its all about money.....speed cost how fast do you want to go
Luke

1 - 20 of 51 Posts