Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hope this is in the right place, could not find a section on drive line.

I recently bought a 2010 SRT Challenger (M6) with 8,200 miles. In the last year a Magnason (sp) supercharger was installed (approximately 800 miles ago) by the previous owner. This is my first "modern" muscle as all my other mopars are 1968 to 1971 versions.

Everything works great, and she really halls butt nice.

My problem is, when I shift from 1st to 2nd I get a "clunk". If I shift slowly it is very light, almost gone. The faster I move the shifter the louder the clunk.

I put in a Barton shifter last week (sweet) and now the clunk is more pronounced. Again, shift slowly almost no clunk. The faster I move the shifter and the more RPM I have the louder the clunk. It never refuses to go in, it just clunks.

I am assuming it is second gear synchros, as none of the other gears do it. I have no idea how this car was driven or maintained in the past.

As there anything else I can check?

Clutch seems to work fine, releasing completely and engaging solid.

If it is synchros I can pull the tranny myself but do not have the tools or knowledge to go into the tranny. Where could I go to have it rebuilt? Shipping???

Thank you for your time, any and all advice welcome,

Varooom

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check out CDV delete on the forums. I have not done it yet but everyone rants and raves about it. I did however install the skip shift eliminator and it made that chunk a lot better but it's still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coldsteel,

Are you saying the "clunk" is just part of life?

If so I can live with it, just don't want it to get worse.

Thank you,

Varooom

·
Registered
173 Posts
Coldsteel,

Thank you,

Varooom
It may just be a part of life. I have a 16 M6 RT and first to second sounds terrible. Feels fine and I know there isn't actually anything wrong, it's just louder than the other gears. I did the CDV he was talking about and it did make it better, in my opinion. It's still there when I'm really banging the gears but it is definitely more quiet when I'm just normally driving, and I tend to always shift on the quicker side.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Coldsteel,

Thank you,

Varooom

I'm saying to read up on what already exists on this topic in the forms. I'd link it for you but not really sure how but I'm almost positive A Guy will get on and do it for me. We have a great group of helpful people on these forums and I, in my head, thank them for their vast knowledge.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I feel kind of stupid.

I was ready to pull my tranny and send it out to be fixed.

Did the CDV mod last nite (took longer to get the car on jack stands than to do the mod).

Took her for a test spin and the sweet beam of Mother Mopar descended upon me.

It shifted perfectly. Wound out first and jumped on second. Wow.

There is a slight noise (very low thud) but nothing I cant live with. Actually it lets me know its in gear, kind of like it.

Clutch feels more like my 69 RoadRunner, just like a clutch should.

Thanks again guys. You saved me much down time, money, and work.

Varooom,

PS: That CDV must be hell on clutches.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Glad it was the fix u were looking for. I really want to do it but have no means to lift my car. Wish I had some car wrench monkey buddies :(

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Glad it was the fix u were looking for. I really want to do it but have no means to lift my car. Wish I had some car wrench monkey buddies :(

I bought a set of Race Ramps for mine, these cars are a pain to jack. Ran mine up on the ramps and did the CDV delete and installed the skip shift eliminator at the same time. 20-30 mins.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts