Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new battery in my 2017 SXT Challenger key fob and I mash the lock button, the trunk button and the panic button and they all just lock it, and it makes that one single beep when it locks but I mashed the unlock button and it won't unlock, when I put my hand under the handle, it don't work and it won't unlock for me I don't get what's going on why is the car acting like this with a brand new battery in the fob, i know i can use the emergency key to open it, but it sets off the alarm.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,842 Posts
The dealership service dept will be your best bet on diagnosing this issue.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have a brand new battery in my 2017 SXT Challenger key fob and I mash the lock button, the trunk button and the panic button and they all just lock it, and it makes that one single beep when it locks but I mashed the unlock button and it won't unlock, when I put my hand under the handle, it don't work and it won't unlock for me I don't get what's going on why is the car acting like this with a brand new battery in the fob, i know i can use the emergency key to open it, but it sets off the alarm.
What Nuke said.

I can add with other cars and their key fobs once in a great while the fob buttons wouldn't work as they were supposed to. What helped -- sometimes -- was to remove the fob battery and press a fob button -- to bleed away any residual electrical power (the key fob electronics doesn't require much power to operate) -- then reinstall the battery.

In the event the above didn't work the recommendation (I believe this was from the owners manual or some "official" source) was to remove the battery and install it "backwards" (negative to positive/positive to negative). This worked because it really drained all the residual power from the circuitry.

I would not recommend you do this with the Dodge key fob however as this may not work or worse may damage an otherwise good key fob, unless you can find something from Dodge that offers this procedure as a possible solution to a non working key fob.

Never had this problem but it might be something to consider. Take apart the key fob and if you can get access -- without destroying the key fob -- check that no "dirt" has managed to get lodged in such a way it interferes with the button movement.

Two other things... One I had a button stop working. I traced it to a bad button on the circuit board. I had a bad fob and took a button off of its circuit board and used this to replace the bad button on the otherwise good key fob.

In another case I had a rear trunk lid that would open on its own. And when I shut it and then pressed the lock button the car's security system would sound an error beep.

Turned out the rubber membrane over the button had failed and the button was somehow tangled in the membrane and this was causing the button to operate and open the trunk lid. I "fixed" this temporarily by using a needle to pry the membrane away from the button but I had to replace the key fob as the membrane was compromised.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I have to ask, did this FOB work before you replaced the battery? Do you have a second key FOB?

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
438 Posts
Maybe you shouldn't mash you keyfob?

My used 2016 didn't come with two fobs. I made the dealer get me another. He used a mobile locksmith and the guy easily programmed both fobs with remote start. Maybe there is one in your area? I didn't have to pay but I think they charged the dealer about $250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts