Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Folks. Just looking for some info and direction here.

The short story is I just picked up a set of staggered, 3-piece GFG Baghdad-5 Chrome wheels for the challenger. 20x9 front, and 20x11 rear. Unfortunately, they turned out to be in less-than-described condition. This was an email/pics/shipping deal, so I know it was a risk to begin with.

But, now that I have them, and have seen how they are. I want to know other's options and experience with wheel repairs, powder coating, and/or re-chroming.

Also, I've already contacted the guy I got the wheels from, and he's willing to give me 100% refund (though not sure on the return shipping, yet) for the wheels, tires and the shipping I already paid. But, I do believe got a great deal on these wheels. So, depending on my options in regard to getting them fixed and re-chromed, or Powder coated, I would like to try and keep them.

So, here's the issues;
*Both rear wheels have curb marks, one wheel worse then the other, with the marks going almost all the way around.
*Both faces of the front wheels have small chip issues in the chrome. (very small, but there)
*Both front rims have the chrome plating lifting on the front barrels (one a lot worse than the other, as one has a spot the size of an eraser, while the other has two spots, one three+ inches long, and the other almost two inches long)
*All of the center caps have been removed and reinstalled many times, it seems. (the lip/hook on the retaining tabs are worn down to nothing) And, two of the caps are missing the C-spring to help them stay locked in, so they fall out with minimal pressure.

I'm including pics of just some of the issues, to simply give you an idea of what I'm talking about. There's more. But, I can't post them all. So, if you have an idea on repairing wheels, you can have a somewhat fair assessment of the condition of these.

What would be your opinion, or advice on the subject?

*Install them as-is, and just wait for them to get worse.

*Get the curb rash repaired, and then get them re-chromed.

*Get the curb rash repaired and get the wheels powder-coated.

*Get the Curb rash repaired and get the wheels painted.

*Give the wheels back, and get my money back.

Of course if you're able to offer a service to fix, or paint, or chrome these wheels, please let me know. Or, if you know a shop that can.

Thanks for any and all help

Abe

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some over-all pics of the wheels..

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
It'd probably be best to go get a quote on how much it'll cost you to get them fixed (as long as you got a good deal on them)

·
Registered
155 Posts
From what I read, it seem your not happy with the wheels cause of the marks in them. I would send them back as the seller stated he would refund your money. Even if you have to pay for shipping, it would still be money back in your pocket and you can save for another set of wheels.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm disappointed in that they were portrayed to be "show wheels", with "no miles" on them. And, they showed up with the rear wheels slightly curbed, the chrome lifting and chipping off in areas, and so on.
But, I can't ignore the deal I got on them. I haven't found these wheels listed for less than $850 a piece. Most places seem to want $1060 a piece. Roughly $3500 for a set of wheels. These are 3-piece, forged, light-weight wheels, like Asanti's, or MHT. Then there's the practically-new 245/45/20, and 295/40/20 Continental DSW tires ($900+) that came with the rims, and the correct set of TPMS sensors ($100-$125), all shipped for about $1650. (new would be $4500-$5300+ shipping, technically)
So, though I'm disappointed, I'm really just looking for ideas and options to make these wheels right, and possibly still be ahead of the game, because I do like the wheels, the look, and design. If there are no realistic options, I'll just send them back to the seller.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's what I was thinking. I felt it was a decent deal, even with the issues. But, would have been a great deal if they were in clean shape.

$400 wouldn't be too bad, providing I could get the job/coloring I wanted. I'm not a huge fan of all chrome. do you think that cost would also include striping off the old chrome, too?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Refund! You'll have way too much $$ in them by the time they are done correctly. You can't just scuff and powder-coat. If the chrome is peeling, then it will be nearly impossible to stop. It will take the powder coat off as it continues to peel. Re-chroming is difficult at best and cost prohibitive for sure. Old chromium, nickel and copper must be stripped and from past experience, re-chromed wheels suffer from adhesion problems. Then there is the problem with fixing the curb hits. You have to sand them out, polish which means stripping the chrome anyway. Sometimes a deal isn't a deal at all at any price.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I've already got a partial refund from the guy I bought the wheels from, which will help when it comes time to powder-coat these wheels. I don't think I'll be going the re-chroming route next spring. But, who knows. I've already located a few places locally that can handle whatever I need in re-finishing these wheels.

BryanB, Thanks for all that input. I did assume that all the chrome had to be removed prior to whatever I do with the rims. So, thanks for the confirmation. The way I see it going is that at some point, I'm going to break the wheels down myself, get them media, or soda blasted to remove the chrome, and then get them powder coated, or painted (and cleared) the way I want in a some combination of Red, Black, polished, or machined finishes.

Also, the seller is also getting me all new center caps, which from what I've read and seen can be anywhere upwards of $65-$85 a piece. People spend this much on this stuff??? lol

All-n-all, I think it's tough to buy used rims in perfect condition. Then, adding shipping in on top of that reduces the chances even further.

I'm content for now. In the end, if I looked at it purely financially, I basically paid for these rims, TPMS sensors, tires and shipping, what I would have for just the tires alone, or just a little more. So, the wheels and new caps are just a bonus. Funniest part to me, is that the guy told me he didn't pay a dime for the wheels, because he's in the aftermarket automotive business, and they were given to him for a project car, which happened to be a Silver, 2009 SRT8 Challenger. So, no matter what, he's not hurt in the deal at all.

I'll post pics up as soon as I get them on the car. After all said and done, I think it was a really good deal.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts