Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I've been looking at the Challengers lately, and have decided to get a '10 SE V6 with 5 speed automatic. Sure, I'd like an R/T, but that is more money and less gas mileage than I can handle right now.

I need to know some tricks about dealing with dealerships. I have owned many 1970's Mopars over the last 20 years, and since '03 I have had mainly the 1980's Turbo Dodges. But I have always paid cash to private sellers for my cars, and once to a dealer. Never had to finance anything.

Here in the Los Angeles area, most '10 SE's I see are priced at $21K to $24K, with 30K or less miles. I think it's too much, I'd like to pay under $20K, with LA county 9.75% tax and registration, all in.

So what can be said or done to get these dealers down in price? How can I know what THEY paid for the car?

I looked at a clean '10 V6 SE today (at a Honda dealership) with 24K miles on it, it was formerly a RENTAL car, and I told the sales guy I was afraid it had been beaten on a lot. I got them down from 21.8 to 21.1, but by the time registration and taxes were added I was back up over $23K.

I do not have what anyone would consider to be good credit, nor do I have much free cash, so dealer financing is my only option. I would never be able to get a loan to buy from a private seller.

Can anyone tell me any GOOD news?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well first off, the good thing is that you know what you are willing to pay, under $20k is a good idea. I wouldn't pay over $20k for a NEW SE much less one that has 20k + miles on it. I'd pay like $15k for that. Those prices you mentioned are pretty high. I think your best bet would be to buy online from out of state. You can EASILY find used SEs for under $20k, EASILY. Do NOT buy the rental car, those are bad news.

If you can't get the price you want just wait a little more for the 11s to hit the dealerships. With the new upgrades on the new SE the older SEs are pretty poorly equipped and not many people will want them thus the dealers will have to start cutting prices on them to get them off the lot.

Sum it up:
1. Start looking online and out of state
2. Wait, the 11s are hitting the dealerships, older models will have to be reduced to be shipped, ESPECIALLY the SE which has had the biggest upgrades in my opinion

DO NOT PAY OVER $20k for the SE you want, unless it has a sc in it :p

·
Registered
320 Posts
There were a bunch of brand new base 2010 SEs in the SoCal area going for $17,XXX a few months ago at various dealerships. Too bad you missed these, as almost all are now gone. Do a search on cars.com. Orange Coast Dodge in Costa Mesa still may have a couple in black and grey, and I think there might be some in Oregon and Phoenix. It would be worth the drive. You might consider holding out for a 2011. If you could wait until fall of this year, you might get a similar price. I personally wouldn't pay over $15,000 out the door for a used 2010 SE with low mileage.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Hard to predict the EXACT dollar that a dealership will have wrapped up in a used SE. In my area, my experience is take about 70-90% of what KBB or Edmund states as "trade-in value" and that should be somewhere near AUCTION VALUE (aka "black book value"). Oh yeah, also make sure you use "good" condition as dealers will rarely, if ever, give "excellent" condition to a used vehicle.

Using the theory above, I pulled a 2010 SE with leather and 25k miles for my area. Good condition states trade-in should be around $19,125. Now if I take 70% of that value I get $13,387 as the low value whereas 90% gives me a high value of $17,212. I'm guessing being a rental they bought closer to the $13,500-$14,500 range. Now the dealership will have to run the car through their service department and fix minor things, maybe add a new set of tires, clean it up, change the oil, etc. So there will be at least another $500 added to the dealers cost when it's all said and done, maybe more depending on the amount of things the car may need.

When you see things like new tires on a car, you know the dealer has a little more in it. The tricky part is if the car needed $1,000 mechanical work and there is no real way to tell.

But again, we can make some reasonable assumptions. A dealer probably owns a previous rental SE with leather for $14-16k. And of course they will need and want to make some money on the deal to make it worth their while. How much profit is always a big question and will vary dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've seen new SE's advertised in the Atlanta area for under $20K, but that's probably a bit farther than you wanted to go to get one. Dealers are anxious to get rid of the '10s now that the '11s are rolling in. I agree that your best bet would probably be to look out of town or out of state. Cars.com and Autotrader.com are both good places to start your search.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I might add if you can make an '11 fit into your budget, you might be happier as the new '11 models sport 305hp and 268lbs torque vs the older models that only have 250hp and 250lbs torque.

Obviously making it fit in your budget is primary. But that is one of the biggest upgrades of the newer '11 models. Something I would like to know prior to buying a used '08-'10 model if I were in your shoes.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Just checked with Dodge.com and searched under new inventory, Ceritos dodge has SE's for under $20k. I would start with a dealer that has already knock down their prices.
This was also the first dealership I came to that had em for under $20k, you might find another even lower.

Good Luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far.:thumbsup:

I did look on cars.com, and it seemed like the ones there were generally priced lower.

One thing is for sure, the value of '10s will NOT increase, although some dealers certainly will try. As more and more '11s get out there, '10s will get cheaper and cheaper.

Just like with the R/Ts, I'd like to have an '11 V6 because of the increased power, but I'll be pushing the budget to the max even to get a '10 for 15K. The newest car I ever owned was 5 years old and that was back in '91.

It won't kill me to give it a couple more months and see how the prices drop, I'll be able to put some cash in the bank if I do that too. As long as my current car, ('89 Spirit ES 2.5 Turbo 5 speed) stays on the road, I'll be ok.

I'm going to keep looking, and I'll try to get a few more test drives too. Driving a Challenger makes driving a Spirit ES feel like driving a lightweight sports car! Challengers are heavy, but Chargers are TANKS! I tried an '07 3.5 Charger a few days ago. It felt so weird, especially with the roof sticking out so far in front of my face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts