Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, I just bought a like new 2008 SRT8 and it is all stock except for a K&N Typhoon intake kit. I have done some research on here and the net and I am not reading good things about the K&N, especially the Typhoon filter. I am most concerned with picking a intake that will not cause any harm to the engine, I will never take this car to the track. I do like the CAI sound but thats not my biggest concern.

Can any experts chime in with what should I replace it with? I was considering going back to a stock SRT8 air box with a drop in filter or........

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a k&n cai on my r/t and it seems to work fine. I cant speak for the other intakes but I have always had a good experience using k&n's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I read the more confused I get. To be honest, except for the stock and long fender TCAI. They are all the same, a cone filter sitting in the engine bay attached to a hose. It is baffling how so many claim their advantages vs other intakes. LMI seems to be highly recommended but their intake looks just like my K&N Typhoon intake. I am waiting to hear back from the owner of LMI.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
My Himi tech says to stay away from any oiled filters or Cai. The oil can mess up the throotle body and if it does it won't be covered by the warranty. This was after i got my Mopar Cai so he wasn'y saying it to sell anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Himi tech says to stay away from any oiled filters or Cai. The oil can mess up the throotle body and if it does it won't be covered by the warranty. This was after i got my Mopar Cai so he wasn'y saying it to sell anything.
I have heard that from a tech at Chrysler as well, when I was trying to buy a Mopar CAI. He advised me quietly that it was not a good idea to buy what his dealership was selling. He also said the stock air box was equivalent if not better than almost all aftermarket intakes. Gains of 5hp are of no significance considering dynos can vary that much from time to time.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
i only have a RT auto and i've heard that too about no gain in power but my seat of the pants dyno could tell a big change when i put the mopar CAI and 93 CAI tune in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the C&L intake, seems like the stock box setup with bigger diameter pipe and better filter.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
SRT intake with good dropin is as good as most CAI. CAI may sound a little nicer tho.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If your looking for another CAI option, we make a true Cold air intact that pulls fresh air from the front lower airdam of the vehicle, our units are made from stainless steel and come chrome coated, all fittings are AN -8 as well and we use a AEM Synthetic water resistant air filter.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts