Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading from my Fully loaded RT Classic to an SRT8. From the SRT owners, are you truly happy with your car? Is it worth $10,000 more than the RT? Please advise. Thanks, JR

·
Registered
216 Posts
I purposely did not drive an SRT, I have and R/T (I did not want the temptation). I like the RT, but these two cars have some different engines. If you live in a cold location and need a daily driver I question (don't flame me SRT owners) the longevity of the SRT engine with its tighter tolerances running in the cold (e.g. Chicago). If you are gonna have a garage queen, and have the extra $10k, then go for it. :)

P.S. I will say if you notice the throttle lag issue on the RT (I have) the SRT would be worth trying to see it it is any better on that engine.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The difference is night and day. My recommendation would be to sell yours privately and locate a used SRT8. The upgrade may be less costly than you think. I bought my 2009 SRT8 for less than 32,000 bucks with 15,000 miles on the clock. It had a small dent and needed tires. It was well worth the over 13 grand I did not spend to get a "fresh" one.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I do NOT want to KNOCK an R/T, R/T is a darn nice ride!

But if you can afford it go for it, dont lok back.

Much better car in many many areas, it is not about the HP alone, but the car and trim levels etc... :)

Mine is the 9th SRT 6spd in 09 got her in Nov of 08, best car ever owned!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I do NOT want to KNOCK an R/T, R/T is a darn nice ride!

But if you can afford it go for it, dont lok back.

Much better car in many many areas, it is not about the HP alone, but the car and trim levels etc... :)

Mine is the 9th SRT 6spd in 09 got her in Nov of 08, best car ever owned!

Agreed.

The brakes, seats and standard EVIC are great atributes. The SRT brakes are serious and way past effective.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Just so happens that we have our 2009 SRT8 6speed for sale. Has new Spec Stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter and stock shifter and drive shaft loop. Replacing it with a 2010 SRT8 Auto. Just too old to drive a 6 speed anymore.

If interested PM me.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There you go. Ready to rumble.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you can afford it then go for it dude.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
If you can afford it, do not hesitate. Low mileage used SRT is the best car on the market right now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am buying a Challenger and was going to get a R/T with the STP which has upgraded features, steering, suspension,the engine will be comming out for a stroker.

Besides the engine and brakes and suspension what are more specific differences between this and the SRT and the R/T with STP,

I was just going to start a thread on this today but maybe I'll just combine with this one seeing it is the same question.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Go for the upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
There is a ton of differences, I need to do a search to find them all. The evic is awesome with the 180 mph speedo, 1/4, 1/8, 0-60, g force and braking distance features. Cooling is much better as well. Seats are also much better to me.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I am buying a Challenger and was going to get a R/T with the STP which has upgraded features, steering, suspension,the engine will be comming out for a stroker.

Besides the engine and brakes and suspension what are more specific differences between this and the SRT and the R/T with STP,

I was just going to start a thread on this today but maybe I'll just combine with this one seeing it is the same question.
Al, are you buying new or used? Auto or 6Speed? We are selling our 09 SRT8 6speed. Getting to old to drive a 6 speed.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if your switching to the 2011 than id say heck yea...

if not id wait until next year for a used 2011

i never drove a RT, but 1/4 mile times arent much worse than a SRT.....im sure you can tell, but the 1/4 mile times between a 2009 rt and a 2011 srt are alot more significant

looks wise its hard to tell the difference between the RT and SRT..your average person will never see the differences

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought my car because it was more vintage than the SRT8. Not knocking the SRT8, just saying that the R/T was the highest model. Although a used PC or DY SRT8 is tempting me so bad right now!!

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
Get an SRT and you will never second guess yourself.

Here are some engine specs, from allpar, about what makes a 6.1 special:

The SRT engine includes numerous modifications from the standard Hemi, such as:

• Reinforced bulkheads.
  • Larger cylinder bores, by 3.5 millimeters, honed with torque plates to ensure a truer bore.
  • Oil squirters, aimed at the underside of each piston, aided by a special oil pump pressure relief valve.
  • Modified oil pan and windage tray.
  • Larger-diameter, flat-top pistons with high-load capability.
  • Revised connecting rods using higher-strength powder metal material. New floating piston pins.
  • Crankshaft forged from micro-alloy steel, in tri-metal main bearings, with retuned damper.
  • Head ports designed with larger cross-sectional area. This allows 11 percent higher flow in the intake ports, and 13 percent higher flow in the exhaust ports.
  • A billet steel, high-strength camshaft features more overlap and lift for better performance.
  • Intake valves feature hollow stems and 2 mm larger heads. The hollow exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to dissipate heat. Premium valve springs with external dampers enable higher engine speed operation to 6,400 rpm and allow the peak output engine speed to increase to 6,000 rpm from 5,000 rpm.
  • Specially designed intake and exhaust manifolds.
  • Cast aluminum intake manifold with shorter, larger-diameter and tapered runners for high-speed tuning. Internal runners are core-dipped to smooth the runner finish and improve air flow.
  • 14% higher fuel injector flow capacity; higher-flow air cleaner box with a tuned resonator delivering a deep performance sound character (and good for an extra eight horsepower).
  • Exhaust headers are individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell. Exhaust runners allow increased gas flow while maintaining fast catalyst light-off, while adding 12 horsepower over the 5.7-liter engine’s cast manifolds.
  • Dual knock sensors with premium fuel.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts