Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I typically don't get into personal stuff on this forum; however I have a somewhat interesting situation that I need to handle.

Back in April, I met a seemingly nice guy at my local track and he came to my home and I helped him with his car on a couple of occasions. He has a 2015 Scat Pack as well and he seemed to be a decent fellow.

Back in May, he asked if he could borrow my drag tires / wheels for a Friday night test and tune. He had street tires and was trying to crack the 11's. I was thinking about getting a better set, so I offered to sell them to him for a good price. He agreed to buy them, but still asked to borrow them until he got the money.

Unfortunately, I agreed. He came and picked them up and a few weeks went by and I didn't hear from him. Initially, I had his cell phone number, but it was accidentally deleted from my phone.

Long story short, I haven't heard a word from him since May. About a month ago, I saw his car in town and left him a note asking him to call me ASAP. He didn't respond.

I do have his license plate number and I am considered reporting them stolen to police. I did take pictures of them before he picked them up (just in case) and I have all the purchase proof of where I bought them.

I honestly don't think his intent is to steal them.. I think he is just a stupid kid with no regard for other peoples stuff. I really just need his contact information so I can go to his house.

So, how would you guys handle this? I shouldn't have loaned them to him, but I thought I could trust him. Never again.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find someone who can run his plates to get his address. When you show up at his door and if he refuses to return them then call the authorities.
I wish I knew some local LEO that would give me some information. Like you said, I want give him a chance to return them.

I keep looking for him in town. Problem is... even if I find him, he won't have the tires and wheels with him.

The money isn't really the issue with this... it's all about the principle. I may never get them back and I can live with that; however if he sold them I'm gonna burn him.

I may go down to the track and just wait and see if he shows up some Friday night.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I wish I knew some local LEO that would give me some information. Like you said, I want give him a chance to return them.

I keep looking for him in town. Problem is... even if I find him, he won't have the tires and wheels with him.

The money isn't really the issue with this... it's all about the principle. I may never get them back and I can live with that; however if he sold them I'm gonna burn him.

I may go down to the track and just wait and see if he shows up some Friday night.
I'd call your local PD and explain it to them. Tell them you just want to contact the person before you file charges. They might advice you on how to proceed.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Ken,
The question is, what's your motive? What do you want to accomplish? Are you asking us because you want to get your tires back, or because you want to get your new friend back?
If you are genuinely concerned about your tires, this forum has already given you their advice.
If you simply want to try to teach this guy a lesson, you don't need to ask advice.
If however you are genuinely concerned about helping this fella become a better person, then the answer would look very different. The best advice I ever read was here: Lk 6:27-36.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't waste your time with the police. Call a private investigator, get the guy's contact information, send him a letter certified mail that he has to sign for asking him to return the property or pay for it within 30 days. When he ignores your letter, file a case in small claims court for the money and have him properly served to appear in court. Do not show up at his house. He will call the police and have YOU arrested for trespassing, and he will make up a story that you threatened him and you're going to end up in trouble. Don't take the law into your own hand. Take him to court. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You say you had his cell phone number. Did you ever call it? Or did he ever call you? If so, you might be able to pull up your cell phone bill and find the number in the list of calls. Might even still be in the list of "Recent" calls on your cell. That is, if a call was ever made/received to/from that number.

Mike

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Be careful about approaching him at the track, should you be so lucky as to run into him. Other than pictures of the wheels/tires, what proof do you have that those particular wheels and those particular tires in his possession are the exact same as in your pictures, and the exact same as you claim to own.

Did by any chance your pictures include him or his car? If not, then even if you saw him at the track and called the police, without proof that those wheels/tires in his possession are your wheels and tires, even your receipt from your purchase of an identical set of wheels/tires won't be conclusive enough...

...unless you know of a distinctive characteristic of the wheels, such as a scratch somewhere on the inside not easily visible unless the wheel was off the car...then you might get the police to support your position enough to make the kid take the wheels off to verify.

Otherwise, without such proof, possession is 9/10s of the law.

I empathize with you; no good deed goes unpunished. Good luck!

·
Registered
407 Posts
No LEO in his right mind will run that plate and give you the info.

I can't believe anyone would suggest that as good advice lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
There are no "charges" that can be filed here. You "gave" him the property. This puts it in the Judge Judy court of a civil dispute. You can go to the police and file a report for documentation of the incident, in case you do proceed to civil court. No good deed goes unpunished. If the guy is a real scumbag, take him to civil court and bring receipts for the tires value and get a judgement against him. 90% of the people that I deal with never follow up with a civil suit. They feel that they just don't want the hassle. Some DMV's will provide you with registered owners address if you bring in a police report. If you know any good friend cops, they can run the plate......although it is frowned upon by the agencies. Good luck.

Reactions: 1968rt

·
Registered
255 Posts
The last few posts here are the best advice. This is a civil matter, not a theft. Would it really be worth it to you to take him to court over a set of wheels? It wouldn't be worth my time and energy.

Call it a lesson learned. Don't trust anyone to just be a good guy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I honestly don't think his intent is to steal them.. I think he is just a stupid kid with no regard for other peoples stuff. I really just need his contact information so I can go to his house.

So, how would you guys handle this? I shouldn't have loaned them to him, but I thought I could trust him. Never again.
This jack-wagons actions show his intent, if he intended to pay he would have contacted you either to return or ask for some time to pay. His silence is deafening so don't fall for a BS sob story when you run across him again he could have came by or called you by now. You need to know what you intend to do if you see him will you confront or walk the other way might want to decide before it happens so you will have some control over the situation. I may catch some heat for this but you asked and I am not saying you should do this it is what I would do if they are not returned or paid for. I would wait and look for the car and if the situation presented itself (wont get caught) I would causally walk by and accidentally on purpose drag my key down the side. Those who are of turn the other cheek proclivity I can understand why you would do that and that is your choice and I know two wrongs don't make a right but it sure would make me feel better.......and that guy needs a little karma in his life.>:)0:)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on....not worth the hassle and now its he said she said...

Reactions: 1968rt and HDCowboy

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Get an engraver, etch your name into your shit before you let people borrow it. If you can sneak it in where it's not easily found, even better.

Or stop letting people borrow your stuff.

Reactions: Idoono

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
This jack-wagons actions show his intent, if he intended to pay he would have contacted you either to return or ask for some time to pay. His silence is deafening so don't fall for a BS sob story when you run across him again he could have came by or called you by now. You need to know what you intend to do if you see him will you confront or walk the other way might want to decide before it happens so you will have some control over the situation. I may catch some heat for this but you asked and I am not saying you should do this it is what I would do if they are not returned or paid for. I would wait and look for the car and if the situation presented itself (wont get caught) I would causally walk by and accidentally on purpose drag my key down the side. Those who are of turn the other cheek proclivity I can understand why you would do that and that is your choice and I know two wrongs don't make a right but it sure would make me feel better.......and that guy needs a little karma in his life.>:)0:)
There are cameras EVERYWHERE these days and it would go from a civil issue to the wheel owner getting charged if he got a little justice to even things out.
As stated if you lend something it doesn’t become a theft when not returned.
Now if you went to the track with him, you’d either have the wheels or money by now. It sucks but may this be the worst thing happen in your life. In comparison look at Las Vegas, that’s a real tragedy that will have lifetime consequences for many families, be happy you can just go out and get a “do over” and buy new parts.
This guy will get his, karma does come back and kick you.

Reactions: MuscleCarProf
1 - 20 of 43 Posts