Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Need advice on 2011 RT

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ceri 
#1 ·
I have been poking around this forum for while now. I don't own a Challenger, but I have plans on buying one. I was going to wait until next summer. The reason for waiting was so I can pay off a few more of my debts before I get my Challenger. I did some internet research and I found this dealer about 100 miles from the house that had 3 2009 RT still on his lot. I called thinking I could get a good deal on a new car. The salesman said the computer was wrong and they had no 2009s, but he could try to make me a good deal on a new one. i told him it would have to be a hell of a deal for me to drive 100 miles. He has a 2011 White RT with red hood to fender stripes he can sell for 29800. He said it stickers for 31500. Is this a hell of a deal? It is a basic package RT with no leather. I could wait another year and get exactly what I want, one with leather or will I hate myself for passing it up. It is automatic, which we like, so my wife can drive it. We can afford it now, just the debts will be paid off in 3 years, instead of a year and a half. Should I wait? Will there be better deals? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Man, pay your debts off and then get the exact car you want. Don't settle!

Sent from my Milestone X using AutoGuide App

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, IMO If your married you will always have debts so that isn't a reason to not get the car (unless it's to the point you'll have to give it up). I have to have all the bells and wistles on my cars and I think that might be a problem for you if you have to get a some what stripped one. You'll put more money in it in the long run than if you get what you want to start with. Good luck

#4 ·
I sold GM for 4 years (some one point stores, some 2 or more point stores). I've bought and sold a bunch of cars myself. I say go with your instincts. If it feels right and you can see yourself driving this thing 10+ years from now, go for it. Salesman are trained to tell you everything you want to hear. Do the research and then go buy it. I waited 30 years to buy this one, so you can't accuse me of being impulsive, lol. When I got that bug, I made some phone calls, drove to the dealership, eyeballed the one I wanted, took a lame test drive and negotiated on the deal. Simple. No brain damage. I'm 47 so I was like, dang, I've always wanted one, I'm not going to live forever, might as well jump now. I won't ever regret it, I don't care about the car deal, I am so enthralled with this machine I am forking out all the dough to create the perfect machine for me. So, if you feel passionate about it, do it. If you are having reservations, wait. You know what's best. Nothing wrong with automatics, these have the tiptronic/sporttronic transmissions, not sure what Dodge is calling it, so you do have SOME control. I'm also wondering myself, the 5.7, is Dodge calling that the LS1 like GM does?

#5 ·
IMO: pay off the debt first and then build yourself a good down payment. These cars will still be around in a year and a half. There are new 010's still sitting on the lots and Ebay has a constant parade of them, many with so few miles it's just silly. I'm sure many of them are there because someone "just had to have it right now" and then lost a job or the shine wore off.

FWIW: I'm 54. Been a MOPAR guy all my life. I saw the concept car and was hooked. I saved for two years to have decent down payment on mine and I ordered the exact car I wanted. Be patient.

#7 ·
$1700 off sticker on a $30K car isn't much of a deal IMO - especially if you've got to drive 100 miles to get it. I got $4000 off sticker on my SRT8 (new) just for contacting the dealer on the internet (only 20 minutes away). A little more after we started talking. Next summer is only a year away. 2011s will still be on the lots, as will the new 2012s. Each year these cars get a little nicer - and still sticker about the same for most of the option packages.

I'd say wait - get what you really want when you're best positioned financially to do so. While most everyone will always have bills to pay - why push yourself when you can wait a while and be in a better position? These cars are a little pricey overall - but worth it if you really like what you end up buying. To me, that's the important thing - being totally thrilled with what you've got. Sounds like you already know what you want, and have a plan to get it on terms that are in your favor. Go with it - it will work for you.

#10 ·
Buddy, that is no deal. Stripped down R/T's were going $25K-$27K this past winter. Those were 2010's. 2011's are nearly a year old now.

As others have stated, get your house in order first before buying a new car. That's just good, common sense. Do not get caught up in the hype of buying a new car.

#11 ·
That's not a BAD deal, but it's not enough to disrupt your plans over. Pay off that debt now because once you've got a $500-600/mo. car payment, you wont be able to as easily. Plus you should get the options you want. If you finance for 5-6 years, it will be at least 3 years before you can get out from under the negative equity (assuming the down payment isn't more than 5-15%). Set yourself up for the 2014 model year. By then, we should know if they plan on bringing out a 4th gen challenger and you can make a more informed decision. Plus, you can wait for the aftermarket to catch up on mods. You WILL want to mod if you've already joined this forum before buying.

That's one future owner to another. I've got about a year before it makes sense financially for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.