Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey community, Im new here and this is my first post. I want to purchase a few stuff for my 5.7 rt challenger, but I need some help deciding which ones to purchase. I'm trying to figure out which cold air intake is best for my challenger, as well as what exhaust tips you guys recommend.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
295 Posts
Welcome from California RT.angie!
You will find tons of great information and ideas here.

I purchased my 4" quad tips from ebay. Got them installed at the muffler shop as he welded them up.
Product Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Screenshot
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey community, Im new here and this is my first post. I want to purchase a few stuff for my 5.7 rt challenger, but I need some help deciding which ones to purchase. I'm trying to figure out which cold air intake is best for my challenger, as well as what exhaust tips you guys recommend.
"Cold air intake" Is a complete scam and waste of money for these cars. If you want any horsepower gain from them you will need to have the car tuned which involves buying an unlocked PCM or having yours unlocked, either way you'll throw any remaining powertrain warranty away when you do that for little to no actual gain. The factory intake is capable of flowing far more air than the engine can inhale remember, the filter boxes and intakes are nearly identical all the way from V6's up to Hellcats, and it pulls air from behind the front bumper outside of the engine bay. If you really want to tinker just get a hellcat lower airbox and headlight intake tube it's cheaper than aftermarket CAI's and is proven to lower intake air temperatures slightly. As for the tips, do what you think looks good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"Cold air intake" Is a complete scam and waste of money for these cars. If you want any horsepower gain from them you will need to have the car tuned which involves buying an unlocked PCM or having yours unlocked, either way you'll throw any remaining powertrain warranty away when you do that for little to no actual gain. The factory intake is capable of flowing far more air than the engine can inhale remember, the filter boxes and intakes are nearly identical all the way from V6's up to Hellcats, and it pulls air from behind the front bumper outside of the engine bay. If you really want to tinker just get a hellcat lower airbox and headlight intake tube it's cheaper than aftermarket CAI's and is proven to lower intake air temperatures slightly. As for the tips, do what you think looks good.
Cold air will always make more power than hot air. That's why Dynamometers are always temperature corrected. It might not be a lot of power but there will be some advantage to cooler air. Cooler air is denser and thus has more oxygen. The ecu's in our cars will compensate for hotter inlet air. But cooler air is still better. With some of the cold air intakes any gain is lost due to heat soak. The Hellcat lower box is about as good as you can get. And the factory piping does a pretty good job handling the heat soak.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
what year? If new I would get this:

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Thanks. But way too much money. I've blocked of the air from the hood. The turn signal will do fine.
bought the Hellcat bottom section and the connecting plastic pipe for under $100.
Now researching drop in filters.
AEM Dry drop in, or other dry drop in, do not use oiled filters like K&N

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did a Mahle LX3482 filter for a hellcat in my 5.7 with the hellcat lower box and intake tube.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 5.7 6-speed
164 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on tips. I stuck with the mopar quad tips. The round tips are nice but the square quads matched the body characteristics and fit well in the bumper nice. Each have their own opinions. Round looks great on a lot of challengers, not dissing at all.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

Reactions: A Guy and Loopy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
its a 2015 sorry I forgot to mention
Then that intake duct for the hood is not needed and won't work. there is a set up that uses that filter and open top for your factory airbox or Hellcat box and tube that does not have the hood duct and scoop and is about half that price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The last of the parts needed for the hellcat lower box swap came today. I got an open box Mahle filter on Amazon for $12, opened it up and it's brand new just some damage to the box. Going to put everything in tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The last of the parts needed for the hellcat lower box swap came today. I got an open box Mahle filter on Amazon for $12, opened it up and it's brand new just some damage to the box. Going to put everything in tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Finished the install today. Everything except the filter itself went easy the Mahle filter is a little thicker than the original one. There are three tabs on the sxt airbox cover. I had to trim one off to make it fit easy. I could have fought with it and got it to work, but 3 clips were redundant. Put the hose on the passenger side turn signal to direct air to the bottom the the engine bay (to keep it cleaner) it fit fine.
Total cost of the whole project $125 and about an hours work.
I'll probably get a set of the turn signal inserts with the screening in them. With the money I saved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts