Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase a new vehicle and 2013 Challenger R/T is in the lead.

I have a few questions if you could help.

How does the Challenger handle in the snow and rain? I know it is a RWD and I live in Northern VA.
I do have an old AWD SUV that I plan to use during the winter months, but unfortunately it will only last another year or two.

What is the average cost of maintenance? Oil change, tires, etc?
I plan for the Challenger to be driven daily except in winter.

If you have any other advice or comments, please share.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I live in Toronto and I drive my Challenger every day of the year(rain snow, ice). When driven properly (not like a lunatic teenager) the car handles excellent in the rain and snow and ice unless you turn off the Traction Control.

What I would suggest for winter though is a set of 4 good snow tires. It makes it handle even better! Never been stuck once!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello everyone!

How does the Challenger handle in the snow and rain? I know it is a RWD and I live in Northern VA.
I do have an old AWD SUV that I plan to use during the winter months, but unfortunately it will only last another year or two.

Thank you!
Mine is garaged for the winter. I don't really want to spend the money for an extra set of tires just for winter driving when I can keep it in the garage and drive my other vehicles. Before I got mine, everyone told me it was terrible in the winter. From the 2 times I had it out this winter, I concur. Shifting into 2nd from the start is helpful, but I just prefer keeping it in the garage. No salt worries if I do that. Where I live, they salt the roads like it's going out of style.

Maintenance is like any other vehicle. I take mine in 5 times a year for routine maintenance. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of what they work on or what it costs from my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Hello everyone!

Thank you!
You ask some tough questions because they are either subjective or relative.

As for handling in the snow that depends more on the amount of snow and how you drive. Is it going to plow through 18" of powder like a Jeep? No. Is it going to feel like you're on ice on a snow covered road? No. Next time it snows look around at other cars on the road... that's going to be you. Then look at all the cars in the ditch, that's going to be you if you ignore simple driving-in-snow rules.

As for maintenance, personally I don't think it's any worse than any other 4,000 pound car. You biggest expense is going to be gas. Manual transmission cars should run on Premium which when you look at the per gallon price is pretty disappointing but when you look at the actual difference for a fill up it's not that big a deal. But if you get a V6 it's no big deal... but not an eco-box by any stretch.

All that is entirely cancelled out when you drive your Challenger. These are great cars and the fun you'll have at the wheel is a huge part of why you own one. Not hard on the eyes either.

Good luck and if you do buy, you have to give us the details and a picture.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Not a lot of snow down here in Houston, although we did just survive iceopalypse.

I did have a Charger rental up in Alberta last year in February. Took it up to the mountains in Jasper. No problems at all on the snow/ice covered roads. Like Czechman says, if you drive sensibly on snowy roads then you'll be fine.

I also found the RWD very effective at helping me u-turn on the main street in Jasper. A quick blip of the throttle and a slight turn of the steering and we would face the other direction really quick.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Geez, I just realized that back in my day (right before the Jurassic Period) everybody drove 1-wheel-drive RWD cars and we got by pretty good. Just slap some retread snow tires on and have at it.

OP, be sure you get limited slip differential.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I guess it depends on your prospective really. Compared to a Civic it is going to be expensive... compared to another sports car... the same...

It is recommended to have the higher grade fuel... if you get an RT Classic the performance tires are not that good in snow and ice... and RWD will make it tougher if you are used to FWD... but... it doesn't handle any worse than any other RWD vehicle. If you experience freezing rain though I will tell you the auto drop windows could be an issue of freezing. many folks have that issue. Also, from what others say the high performance tires only last about 20,000 miles so expect to replace them earlier than normal.

All things said though owning the car is a blast.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
if you get an RT Classic the performance tires are not that good in snow and ice
That's another good point... Those high performance 3-season tires are a no-go for freezing temps or snow. Tread compound hardens and the tread pattern is not suitable for snow. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Malibu SS and I dare not drive it in snow and am a bit cautious in sub-freezing temps. Although I've not noticed any decrease in traction I'm not pushing my luck.

Unless you're willing to buy a set of winter tires to swap out get all-season tires on your car. You may want to read up on the subject.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your advice!

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 that does take premium fuel so at least I know what gas cost will be.

As for tires, I hope I don't have to get winter tires if I do not keep the Lexus.
I figured tires will cost between $700-1200 depending on the performance.
I'll check out Blizzaks tires too.

Oil change will cost around $50-60.

I would be purchasing an automatic, I am still learning to drive manual.

I really want a Challenger to enjoy as my 1st brand new car before I have kids in the next 2-3 years.

I'll post pics and all when I do decide to purchase the Challenger.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
As for tires, I hope I don't have to get winter tires if I do not keep the Lexus.
!
I also had to read Czechman's comment twice to make sure what he said.

You can choose either
1. buy an extra set of winter tires and put them on a spare set of rims (or swap the original rims in and out) for winter driving.
or
2. buy good all season tires and use them all year round.

Option two is a slight compromise in summer tire performance, but I suspect that isn't what you are caring about. you just want a car that is safe to drive in the winter. A Challenger can be that car if you drive smooth and have sensible tires on it for the conditions. No need for an extra set, unless you really want to optimize your winter or summer driving.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I strongly recommend tirerack.com for tire research. They have excellent side-by-side comparison videos which I've found very helpful. They are an EXCELLENT resource for researching tires.

You may find that all-season performance tires aren't that much different than 3-season performance tires, especially in the Michelin line... the only brand I buy.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
You may find that all-season performance tires aren't that much different than 3-season performance tires, especially in the Michelin line... the only brand I buy.
I'd agree with this too.
The differences in performance are found in the more spirited driving situations. I think most people don't drive like that, even though they might think they do. The only time they really stress their tires is when they are busy checking a text message and have to brake suddenly to avoid hitting the car in front that has slowed.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 that does take premium fuel so at least I know what gas cost will be.

I really want a Challenger to enjoy as my 1st brand new car before I have kids in the next 2-3 years.

Thanks again!
Last car fling before kids... that's beautiful! :D
Best of luck... you are going to be thrilled!

I do believe that every new Challenger comes with 4 free oil changes, at least mine did and I beat them to death over the price so I don't think they just threw it in because they liked me. Of course it's probably just to get you in the service department for more work but who knows.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I have no trouble in the snow and/or ice at all. But then I have winter tires on the car. And my work is on top of a 1 mile, 9% grade hill. I go up and down without issue in the snow and ice.

I have Firestone Winterforce tires in 225/60-18. Mine were about $80 a piece a few years ago (I think they are around $100 now). Much less than some others in the 235/55-18 or 245/50-20 size. Slightly narrower is better in snow.

I bought a set of take off R/T wheels to mount the snows on. It takes me about 1/2 hour to put them on in my garage when needed. And they have been needed a lot this year in PA!

·
Super Moderator
15,394 Posts

Thanks again!
As was mentioned in the previous post - get the Anti-spin differential (optional on automatic cars) - for $275, its a bargain compared to what the parts would cost to retrofit.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Thanks again!
hey,
i would talk to a friend or relative that can teach you the basics of driving a manual transmission, real simple, trust me you wont wanna go back to an automatic, so much fun!!! just my opinion

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I will warn you... if you are going to have kids and are going to use a CHallenger and a baby seat it isn't easy getting a seat or small kids in and out of the back....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts