Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this weekend I picked up my InTune. After work today, it's going into the car. I already know that I should set it to the 91 octane tune and 20% throttle boost. For now I'm on the stock thermostat but that will change soon. Anything else I should set it up with? Please let me know.
TIA
-Hell Ride

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Shouldn't need the boost up to 20. The 91 tune already raises it to 11 or so. I would start with 12 and see how you like it. If you're a M6, too much throttle boost can make it jumpy.
Make sure you have at least 91 octane in the tank, 93 would be better if you have it in your area.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 6 speed so I have to run premium fuel. Unfortunately they don't sell 93 here but once I move back to Houston in the Fall I will run it.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
you can always go for an octane booster;
a bit more expensive but depends what u r looking for

i have the trinity on a M6 SRT8 2013 w/ 93 Octane tune and 20% T Boost; adjusted the fans because i have kept the stock thermo and by default the 93 tune is meant to be working with a 180 Tstat.

my fans were working constantly so it sounded a bit too weird

if you have a push button, by all means remove it and use the key so you can go through the cycles error free;

i drive pretty hard as i am told, but the wife drives it everyday and likes the 20% boost, but she takes that car sideways and counter locks it whenever needed so go figure...

20% boost is fun and in my opinion not a big deal for one who knows his car; the tune has made it a different car; there is more power everywhere!! and better fuel consumptions; picked up 1.5 miles/2 miles per gallon

hope this helps

ODP

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to put it at 12% and see how I like it. I don't want to tinker with it too much because I want to make sure that I don't kill the battery

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
on that note; i was worried at first too, as it turned on all of the headlights but if your battery is at 13.85 or close to 14 then i can tell you it does support time

from a first 93 install, i re-installed the stock set, then re-installed again the 93 tune back to back and all of the lights must have been on for a good 30 minutes and the battery output did not put any signs of weakness; started it right up and good to go

ODP

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Shouldn't need the boost up to 20. The 91 tune already raises it to 11 or so. I would start with 12 and see how you like it. If you're a M6, too much throttle boost can make it jumpy.
Make sure you have at least 91 octane in the tank, 93 would be better if you have it in your area.
I have a 91 custom tune from Diablo and I agree, 20% is TOO jumpy and very hard to modulate the gas to drive smoothly. You will kill your gas mileage.

I have it set at 8% and with my ported throttle body it's fast, responsive, but VERY smooth. JMO

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you guys would recommend somewhere in between 5 and 10 percent throttle boost?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Throttle boost is easy enough to change, so experiment with it and find out what you like the best. It's not going to make the car faster, it'll just make it feel that way. :)

I found even the stock boost with the 91 tune to be too much and made the car too jerky at low speed (parking lots, etc) so I set it to 0 and never looked back.

Enjoy the inTune! Enjoy it even more with a custom tune. :D With a 6-speed you're probably not going to notice much difference compared to stock (I know I didn't), a custom tune makes all the difference for us 6-speed owners.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really don't think I'll notice anything with the canned tunes? People said that the canned tunes remove the torque management and that makes the difference. Is that not true? That's the whole reason I bought this sucker.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
You really don't think I'll notice anything with the canned tunes? People said that the canned tunes remove the torque management and that makes the difference. Is that not true? That's the whole reason I bought this sucker.
You'll probably notice a slight improvement, it's just not going to be anything like what the automatic guys experience because the factory 91 tune is already pretty close to the canned 91 tune. Since you're also running the OEM t-stat you're going to still get hit by heat soak/temp related timing loss, IMO.

With the canned tune and 180 t-stat the power was more consistent across varying ambient temps and I no longer felt like 75+ temps were costing me 100HP.

Then I went with a custom email tune including sending data logs after the initial custom tune and that made the biggest difference, felt a lot stronger across the entire RPM range and I'm seeing no more LT KR than before (Max of 1-2 when under load at cruising RPMs, 0 the rest of the time).

I'm just trying to set your expectations a little lower since you have a 6-speed, if it ends up making a big difference for you then that's awesome and you'll appreciate it, but if you're expecting a life-changing experience and it doesn't happen then you're going to be disappointed. At least until you get a custom tune. :D

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I set mine to 5% and it made a decent change. I might increase it some, this weekend. It didn't seem to increase the top end power but it did make it feel a ton stronger under partial throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts