Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Need headlight upgrade.

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jkim1978 
#1 ·
To clarify my improvement, I live in the boonies in Oklahoma, and Halogens just don't cut it. I cannot seem to find any "good" upgrade path for my 2015 SXT Plus with OEM Halogens. And from all that i have read on these forums and other areas, it's looking like i'm pretty much stuck with them. Would really like some insight into how to fix this. I've done upgrades to cars, but none with such a limited selection as this specific year.

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to Challengertalk . I haven't done it myself, but something like https://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Elite-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion/dp/B01H2EIKLC?th=1 would give you brighter/whiter light. I can't confirm if you'd need to trim the OEM cover. I know some sites sell cupped covers that would extend the space in case these didn't fit under the cover. These are adjustable for like pattern with just a twist. Not an expensive proposition either. You can also get brighter bulbs for the foglights for more light IE: Fog Light LEDs for 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger (pair) - Challenger - Dodge - Products By Vehicle

For more $$

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger - Challenger - Dodge - Products By Vehicle

These are just examples of course, there are tons of possibilities out there

A Guy

Headlight cap extensions

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials/rubber-housing-caps.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials/rubber-housing-caps-52024.html

#3 · (Edited)
I have GENSSI Elite LED Headlight Bulbs on my 2014 and was a great improvement over even Silverlight high-end Halogens. You get a bright white light (not blue-ish) that really helps on my country back roads where I live. There was no modification necessary to my stock headlights (2014) just Plug and Play. You also can adjust them for the best beam pattern and they should last the life of your car. Make sure you get the high/low beam version. Highly recommend them.

#7 ·
I am interested in the anti-flicker part myself. Most offer some sort of anti-flicker, but don't tell you if you indeed need them. The Challenger has Canbus, but do we need any anti-flicker?

A Guy

#8 ·
I just got off the phone with the guys at JDM Astar, and they said that the Challengers WILL need a decoder, but not resistors. Said that without the decoder the lights will come on when in ACC mode, but once you turn the engine over and start driving around, they will flicker and die.

So, im gonna pick up a set of LEDs from them and post my finding when they come in the mail and get installed.

#10 ·
Results

I'm sorry that it has taken some time to get back to this, but money was an issue. Anyways, I do have them installed. The pics that ive uploaded are the Front end with the lights on, low beams and high beams.

The company that i used was JDM Astar. These one's (Plus the Decoder): 8TH Gen. 9012 LED kit

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm sorry that it has taken some time to get back to this, but money was an issue. Anyways, I do have them installed. The pics that ive uploaded are the Front end with the lights on, low beams and high beams.

The company that i used was JDM Astar. These one's (Plus the Decoder): 8TH Gen. 9012 LED kit
Sweet! What kind of range are you getting out of them? Also, which Decoder - where did you get it?

#12 ·
How do you like them? Big improvement? Good light pattern? No one flashing their brights at you for blinding them? :)

A Guy

#14 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ajq69. The same parts in this thread will fit 15-17. Including the ones Drendi0819 got, which would be THESE apparently (with the W/Decoder from the Size drop down).

A Guy

#15 ·
I have only been flashed once or twice, but they were more mad that my brights were blinding. 8000 lumens (@6500K color) is a lot to stare at. I can see farther than the Halogens; light pattern is good, i might have to adjust them up a little bit, but other than that i can drive without needing the foglights to see the side of the road now.
@mcm95403 If you get the decoder that JDM Astar sells with the light kit it's all that you need, but getting them installed is another issue. I had to take it to a buddy of mine to have it done because he owns a garage and the proper tools. I tried to install them myself with my father-in-law's help (Old school MOPAR man) and we couldn't get them out.

Thanks for the insight and i hope this helps future members!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.