Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a problem that just started recently. When I first start my car whether in the morning or afternoon. If I don’t let it warm up and I put it in reverse or first gear(6spd manual) I get this shudder. Kind of feels like it is coming from the rear of the car. But if I let the car warm up for a bit , it shifts fine. I have a 2012 Challenger R/T 6spd manual. Only happens in first or reverse. If I start off in 2nd gear it seems not to happen. Any suggestions on what might be the issue or cause. All your advice is much appreciated.....

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
Here is a problem that just started recently. When I first start my car whether in the morning or afternoon. If I don’t let it warm up and I put it in reverse or first gear(6spd manual) I get this shudder. Kind of feels like it is coming from the rear of the car. But if I let the car warm up for a bit , it shifts fine. I have a 2012 Challenger R/T 6spd manual. Only happens in first or reverse. If I start off in 2nd gear it seems not to happen. Any suggestions on what might be the issue or cause. All your advice is much appreciated.....
Not clear from your post. Does the shudder occur concurrently with you letting out the clutch pedal?

When the car/engine/drivetrain is cold if you start the engine with the car on flat ground with the parking brake set, and with the clutch pedal fully pressed down can you select any gear with no issues?

The car has 30K miles. The engine behavior from cold vs. after a bit of warm up might be down to the engine's tune.

How are the plugs? When are they due to be changed?

Have you been running the right grade (octane) of gasoline? Have you tried a bottle of Techron mixed according to directions?

What about the engine air filter?

Is there a serviceable fuel filter and when should it be replaced? Have you replaced it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind cof hard to get explain. The shudder feels like it maya come from the tranny. I run 93 in the car. It happens whether on flat ground or on a slight hill. I can put the car in all gears easy while parking brake is set. My car is stock with no tune that I know of. Only had the car for a little over a year now. Like I said when it’s warmed up the car runs good, it’s just that initial first cold start. There are no leaks under the car that I can see or on the driveway.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
On the earlier cars (like my 2010) there was a problem with the factory grease on the clutch splines that would cause the clutch discs to "stick" on the input shaft. I'm not sure what the cutoff is on the problem, but you may be feeling the discs no engaging evenly which could cause a shudder. It's also possible that you're feeling the rear cradle bushings "winding up" and releasing - meaning that as torque is applied the rear cradle twists on the mounts, then moves back as the car move, then repeats. The easiest solution to this problem is The Solution To ?Wheel Hop? For Dodge Challenger - Six Speed & Automatic Challengers I did it on mine and it solved that bucking problem immediately.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's the clutch not fully disengaging so when you put it in gear it catches slightly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts