Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.... so this isn't about my Challenger, but my wife's Chrysler Aspen with the 5.7 Hemi. It seems to be burning a lot of oil. I did an oil change a little over 5k miles ago and yesterday the check engine light came on stating low oil pressure. Go figure we just dropped off my Challenger at the port for shipment back to Germany and were headed back to NC from FL after visiting family before moving again.

Anyhow... It takes 7qts and I had to put in 5qts. I know I know, that's low. I have never had it burn oil between changes. It currently has about 131k miles on it. There are no symptoms such as power loss, oil on the ground or motor, and no smoke what so ever. This is a problem since I need to ship it soon and really don't have the cash to deal with an engine tear down, with all the other moving expenses that the Army doesn't cover. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Five quarts is a lot of oil to lose in only 5,000 miles. Since you noticed no oil burning, it could be leaking from the oil filter gasket. Maybe the old oil gasket was left on when you last changed the oil. Run the motor and watch for leaks when the oil is under pressure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oil blow by, check PCV valve and hose to see if it has oil on it. Will smoke very little but use a lot of oil. I had a car that used 1/2 a quart about every 50 miles I use to carry a case of oil with me.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did replace the PCV valve during the last oil change as well as the plugs and cleaned out the throttle body. I suppose it could be a bad part. Thanks.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should add that I have checked the coolant and there are no signs of oil in it. I did just pull the PCV valve again and there is some oil on it, but I thought that is normal. Also, did the "shake test" and it rattles. Not sure if that still holds true.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you haven't experienced oil loss in the past, anything related to the last oil change would be most suspect. One quart every thousand miles is a lot to come on suddenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
I did replace the PCV valve during the last oil change as well as the plugs and cleaned out the throttle body. I suppose it could be a bad part. Thanks.Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...
Again, I would thoroughly inspect your car while it is running. Specifically, look at the oil filter and oil pan gasket for leaks. Either of these two areas may be the problem but it won't show when the oil is not under pressure.

Also, what were the condition of the plugs? Were they sooty or oily? If so, there could be a problem with the rings. If all of the easy solutions are checked out, you may want to do a compression test on each cylinder.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not posting anything in a while regarding this situation and thank you to all that responded. Including Voler Vive who sent me a PM. I did as Cuda suggested, which I do at every oil change. After each oil change that is I let it run at idle and after it's warmed up I'll run it for a couple minutes at 2500-3000 rpm as well. So that I can make sure everything is tight and sealed. I did that again as well as checked the radiator fluid again for oil and all around for any leaking. I also checked he exhaust each morning after sitting all night right at start up and later in the day as well after it's was sitting for hours. Still no visible leaks, no oil in the coolant, and no smoky exhaust. I has racked up over 800 miles since adding the 5qts of oil and there has been no loss of oil in those miles. I would imagine at the rate it seemed to have lost it before, I would have seen a loss at this point.

So here are my thoughts. First off this is nearly speculative and I don't mean to offend anyone. At the end of April I took the SUV in to have the front/rear differential fluids changed, the transfer case fluid changed, radiator flushed and the suspension checked and an alignment done. Two days after I picked of the vehicles the transfer case started going crazy by shifting in 4low on its own. This is a all time 4wheel drive SUV by the way. However, there was no reason for it to do so when it was deciding to do this. Seemed to me to be a strange coincidence... So before I took it back to the dealership I checked the front and rear dif and saw that the Royal Purple fluid that I gave them to put in wasn't used. The next day I took it back and explained the issue and told them about the fluids. The tech came out a swore that he used the fluid I provided. Okay... whatever I figured. Look at the vehicle and figure out the issue. I was also then told hat they didn't actually change the transfer case fluid, even though I had paid for it.

As it turned out the control module for the transfer case suddenly went bad. Coincidence??? Fine fix it I said. So where am I going with this. Never have I had a problem with this thing burning or leaking oil. And still nothing now since filling it back up. Once again this is speculation, but perhaps oil was drained to cause another issue so that I would have to back again. Fact... I don't know. It all seems fishy to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts