Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed and cleaned my throttle body today and now the check engine light is on. I used Mopar throttle body cleaner.

The throttle body was barely dirty, so I used very little spray cleaning it with a microfiber towel.

One thing I noted when removing it....the screws were very loose. I didn't have to "break" them lose...it just seemed it came out too easily. So when I put them back, I snugged them a little tighter, but not too much becuase I don't know the torque settings on these.

I drove the car a little bit (about 2 minutes) down my street and it seems fine....but didn't want to drive anymore than that.

Any ideas what it is? Do I need to disconnect the battery or anything or just drive it more?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you have a fault code?You shouldn't spray cleaner into the throttlebody,the chemical can work its way around the throttle shaft & get into the electronic part of the unit & cause damage.You may have left the air temp sensor off or loose also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd check the airflow sensor, blow it off reconnect the plug and see if the light goes off. If you have a predator. It will read the codes and clear them. Or you can go to trak auto or pep boys and they can read the codes for free.
You can drive the car without damaging as long as the light is solid. If it flashing do not drive it or you will do damage.

Ken

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it appears just disconnecting the battery got rid of the light.

Concerning the bolts...I think they were too lose. I don't know if it's just in my head or not but I think the car actually feels a little snappier since I tightened them up a bit. I'm going to run out now to pick up a torque wrench and get it to spec.

itzrick, that is an awesome site! Never saw that before, thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Without a scanner or a Predator, you can still display the OBD-II Trouble Code by following these steps:

1. Get in the car, close the door. Perform steps 2-6 fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds total time). (The key should not return to the OFF position through out the sequence!)

2. Turn key to "ON" position
3. then back to "ACC"
4. then to 'ON'
5. then back to "ACC"
6. then to "ON"

If there are any stored codes, they will appear immediately, in place of the odometer. For instance an "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH" error will set a code of P0113.

Once the codes have been displayed, you'll see "-----".
If there are no trouble codes, the dashes will be the first item displayed.
After a few seconds, the display changes to "DONE".

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Without a scanner or a Predator, you can still display the OBD-II Trouble Code by following these steps:

1. Get in the car, close the door. Perform steps 2-6 fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds total time). (The key should not return to the OFF position through out the sequence!)

2. Turn key to "ON" position
3. then back to "ACC"
4. then to 'ON'
5. then back to "ACC"
6. then to "ON"

If there are any stored codes, they will appear immediately, in place of the odometer. For instance an "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH" error will set a code of P0113.

Once the codes have been displayed, you'll see "-----".
If there are no trouble codes, the dashes will be the first item displayed.
After a few seconds, the display changes to "DONE".
I tried this and couldn't get it to do anything :scratchhead:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Did you have any stored codes... I had someone else try this with a SE without EVIC and they said it worked.
I don't have any CEL or anything. Predator says no stored codes, I was just curious if it showed the ----- or not. Mine didn't do anything. Just showed the compass and Temp and miles.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I don't know, I've got an EVIC and it yelled the codes out on the display the one time I had a CEL. I just know there have been times that people had CEL and thats how they found the code. That's straight out of that 160 tips web site alot of us use and it's usually right on.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
I had to try the ON/ACC trick a few times to get it to work. If you don't see a "service engine" light on, there are no stored codes and nothing to display.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts