Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Detailing forum as well, but was hoping maybe someone here might have experience with this & could give me some advice.

Last month I did the unthinkable to my Challenger se. I always keep my car clean, washed & garaged at my house. About a month ago I got my new mopar shifter in. So I opened the garage halfway (car was in garage) to let the natural light in while I worked on the shifter. I was following the directions & put the shifter in Drive. When shifting through reverse the car must have rolled back a bit. I honestly didnt feel it. I finished up & was heading back inside & hit the garage clicker. 4 seconds later I heard the loudest metal grind ever. The metal piece on the garage that holds a metal wire caught my bumper. It made 2 deep scratches about 5 inches long going vertical. I was so upset with myself. (Why didn't I put the
E-Brake on when shifting gears?!!! Car wouldn't have rolled back.)

Within the next 48 hrs I got my 3 quotes from various body shops. ($150, $225 & $300 to repair it.) I opted for the $225. Picked up my car 48 hrs after leaving it at shop. Everything looked good. I saw a white line running horizontaly on the black plastic trim (above the bumper, but below trunk). Had to be from where they taped it off. I thought after a wash it would come out. But I have washed it twice already & the white marks are still there. What do you recommend to remove this? Thanks for the help. I want my baby looking brand new again.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Is it glue residue? If it is, I'd try and rub it off with the pad of my finger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a large eraser to get wax off those plastic parts, might work here depending on what the substance is. Could also carefully try some nail polish remover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
goo gone?

do you have any pics of the repair??? I'm asking because i made a d*ck move in the garage with my baby the other week, and now have a small crease in my front bumper....could be worse, but sticks out like a third eye to me. I'm wondering how a body shop could even get the ding out of the bumper.. it's like creased right into the plastic (it was our hottest day of the year, and the bumper must have been really soft...) Guh. Couldn't I have at least done that with the crappy civic I had before... : (

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any pics yet. I will try to take some & figure out how to upload them here. My bonehead accident didnt bend or crease any part. Just made what I thought was 2 deep scratches. So they removed the entire bumper, buffed or sanded it down & painted it. To any normal on-looker the car looks very nice & wouldn't notice the paint difference. But to me (who spends about 2-3 hours washing & cleaning my Challenger) I can notice the paint is slighty off. My car is Brilliant Black & it seems like when they were mixing the paint they didn't add enough of the diamond-crystals or whatever it's called in the mix. But I have to live with it. It just really irks me whenever i'm done detailing the car & I really inspect that area.

·
Registered
323 Posts
if the paint doesnt match why do you have to live with it? take it back and have it done right. quality shop should be able to match it. id also have them fix the white mark they left on it, it should have never left the shop that way. on a side note you have to be very careful whenever u pickup a vehicle from a body shop to make sure its exactly how you want it before you leave the lot. much easier to have issues resolved if you havn't paid for it yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya. I have the next 2 days off from work & actually plan on heading back to the shop to see what I can get worked out. Im living and learning as time goes by. My previous car was a used '99 Grand am gt. So I never had any experience with body shops. I kept my grand am in decent condition & zero accidents. But as time went by it accumulated door dings, hood dents & paint peeling. It was an old car so I never had it worked on cosmetically. Now that I have my Challenger i'm trying to take the best care of it. Thanks for the input & advice.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I feel for ya friend. While I don't have any suggestions to help in terms of corrective action, I can sing a tune you'll recognize. Like you, I'm a stickler for how I care for my baby. In 99% of cases, I hand wash my car and give plenty of attention to detail often spending multiple hrs in the process. It's that 1% that'll get ya every time. I usually do my thing at night, which is the only sane time around here, and I pulled into a gas station to use thier automatic wash to clean the car then I'd do the drying and detailing by hand. After paying and getting my reciept with the code, I was backing away from the store-front curb looking out my right side mirror so I wouldn't hit the pumps. What I should have been doing is looking out the left side cuz next thing I hear is BANG!!! I hit the pump guard post directly behing the drivers side of the car resulting in a 9 inch crack horizontlay across the top of the rear bumper and a 3 inch crack vertically where it hit the post. I was barely moving and it didn't seem like the punishment fit the crime. :notallthere: Believe me when I say I was looking around for something to drive my fist through I was so mad but had no-one to blame but myself. If I just stuck to my own rules and done it by hand.....In my case, in the end, the damage was over $1k and after ponying up my deductible and having a new bumper painted and installed, I've learned my lesson. While you may be wondering why I'm letting go with these less that stellar facts, I'm trying to get the word out that our bumpers " will not take a lot of abuse ". I have a 09 with 17k miles and despite the inevitable ding here and there from the road, it's still in pretty top condition. Just wanted you to know that you're not the first to pull an " el-dummo " and surely won't be the last.

Cheers.

P.S. I even wash my wheel wells. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Take the car back and have it redone- If it doesnt match it aint right. They should be able to blend the color off the ends of the bumper and no one could ever tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I found an all purpose cleaner that they sell at dollar stores here in Texas called "Awesome". It worked wonders on the marks. It took a bit of elbow grease, but it removed it completely. As for the paint, I took it back to the body shop & they said they will re-paint it to match as closley as possible. It took a semi-heated conversation with the owner, since I took so long to bring up my dissatisfaction. But we worked everything out after I told him I would be sending him some other customers who need body work done. Which is in fact true, but not until I get my car re-painted & I am satisfied with it. Once again, thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts