Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT 5.7, JLT CAI Series2, Eibach Pro Kit LS, JLT Catch Can, Barton shifter, TB 87MM,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am in need of some advice on the following: I have a 2019 challenger rt 5.7 naturally aspirated
Current setup on Vehicle:
jlt 3.0 catch can
jlt performance series 2 intake
87mm modern muscle throttle body
160 T-Stat (removed stock 203 T-stat)
Muffler delete
Stock Spark Plugs
93 Octane
NO TUNE

Add ons coming down the pipe in a bit, but not now will be:
Stainless Longtube header w/ catted midpipes
Magnaflow XMOD Exhaust
Brisk Silver Racing Plugs ER15YS

I am keeping this vehicle NA, no forced induction at all. I wanted to know with my current setup up top do I need a TUNE, I ask because today I installed the 160 T-stat I got warning light on dash saying engine is HOT and it is. Please see below photos of dash with the 160 T-Stat installed.

Appreciate any support/guidance. Thanks All!
Vehicle Car Technology Electronics Auto part
Vehicle Electronics Car Multimedia Technology

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
926 Posts
No tune required with your current setup ... unless you consider changing the fan temperature settings a "tune."

My guess is that you still have air in the cooling system from opening a closed system to change the thermostat. The air is stopping the coolant from being able to do its job. I think you can solve your overheating issue by spending some time burping the system. Nothing difficult .... but it can be a little time consuming.

BTW ... unless you go into the programming (voiding your warranty) to change the fan temperature settings, your car still thinks you have a 203 degree thermostat. There are a number of threads debating whether it's a worthwhile mod. I'll let you read and decide for yourself --- or maybe you already did since you installed a 160. Personally, I side with the Dodge engineers and figure that they put a 203 thermostat in there for a reason.

Once you install the long tubes (I'm jealous) you'll need a tune to take full advantage of the headers.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT 5.7, JLT CAI Series2, Eibach Pro Kit LS, JLT Catch Can, Barton shifter, TB 87MM,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No tune required with your current setup ... unless you consider changing the fan temperature settings a "tune."

My guess is that you still have air in the cooling system from opening a closed system to change the thermostat. The air is stopping the coolant from being able to do its job. I think you can solve your overheating issue by spending some time burping the system. Nothing difficult .... but it can be a little time consuming.

BTW ... unless you go into the programming (voiding your warranty) to change the fan temperature settings, your car still thinks you have a 203 degree thermostat. There are a number of threads debating whether it's a worthwhile mod. I'll let you read and decide for yourself --- or maybe you already did since you installed a 160. Personally, I side with the Dodge engineers and figure that they put a 203 thermostat in there for a reason.

Once you install the long tubes (I'm jealous) you'll need a tune to take full advantage of the headers.
Awesome thanks for the support.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,021 Posts
Unless the car is being tuned for performance I don't see the advantage of a lower temp thermostat. A defective thermostat is another possibility. When I researched thermostats for mine I found many complaints about standard auto parts store thermostats not working properly so I went with Mishimoto. If bleeding the system doesn't solve the problem I would reinstall the OE thermostat then check the 160 stat.

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
No reason to use 93 octane if the cars not tuned. 260° is very hot for coolant btw, I hope it didn't get hotter than that and it wasn't that hot for long. Could cause major engine damage (I know first hand).
In order to bleed air from the system, there is a bleed port on the water pump just to the right of the thermostat, facing towards the front bumper. It is a hex allen bolt. Remove it and if coolant doesn't come spilling out there is air in the system. Fill from coolant reservoir until coolant pours out of hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No reason to use 93 octane if the cars not tuned. 260° is very hot for coolant btw, I hope it didn't get hotter than that and it wasn't that hot for long. Could cause major engine damage (I know first hand).
In order to bleed air from the system, there is a bleed port on the water pump just to the right of the thermostat, facing towards the front bumper. It is a hex allen bolt. Remove it and if coolant doesn't come spilling out there is air in the system. Fill from coolant reservoir until coolant pours out of hole.
I will be getting a TUNE. Was at 258 for brief moment, no prolong period. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions and advice. all is well now. there was air in the system, did exactly what ALL mentioned and sealed everything back up. drove for 15 minutes temp stood at 185 heavy driving, then did 15 minutes in idle got to about 199. thanks all for the assist here. Please see below pics of readings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts