Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New user my 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Plus. Makes this noise when its in idle. Can’t really explain the noise and don’t know if I can upload a video on here so I posted the link to it on YouTube. I’ve asked the dealer about this when I have gotten my oil changes but they said it’s nothing to worry about. The car just eclipsed the 60,000 miles. I bought the car with 44,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a bad water pump. Not an uncommon problem for the HEMI motors but I think you meant you have an SXT+. If so, not 100% sure it could be the water pump but sounds like a similar noise the hemi pumps make when they go bad.

Basically bearing is bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a bad water pump. Not an uncommon problem for the HEMI motors but I think you meant you have an SXT+. If so, not 100% sure it could be the water pump but sounds like a similar noise the hemi pumps make when they go bad.
Thanks Chally, now to see if the dealers warrant will cover the water pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes my 2017 R/T 392 Scat Pack started making the same noise at 6k miles. It's definitely a bad water pump/pulley issue. The dealer replaced it...was under warranty for me and topped off my coolant since it had started leaking. Apparently it's a common issue w/ these cars. Possibly due to the huge engine vibration. Either way, get it looked at immediately since it can cause major damage to the engine if the water pump was to fail completely.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Yes my 2017 R/T 392 Scat Pack started making the same noise at 6k miles. It's definitely a bad water pump/pulley issue. The dealer replaced it...was under warranty for me and topped off my coolant since it had started leaking. Apparently it's a common issue w/ these cars. Possibly due to the huge engine vibration. Either way, get it looked at immediately since it can cause major damage to the engine if the water pump was to fail completely.
It seems to be common on the V8s but the OP has a V6 so not sure if it as common for that engine?

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Hello all,

New user my 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Plus. Makes this noise when its in idle. Can’t really explain the noise and don’t know if I can upload a video on here so I posted the link to it on YouTube. I’ve asked the dealer about this when I have gotten my oil changes but they said it’s nothing to worry about. The car just eclipsed the 60,000 miles. I bought the car with 44,000 miles on it.

When was your last visit to the dealer regarding this concern? Feel free to shoot us a PM if you need help with anything and we can try to look into additional resources on our end.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
Thanks Chally, now to see if the dealers warrant will cover the water pump.
Should be covered.

Unless you have an early 2015 and the 5 years has run out, the water pump and even the belt tensioner if needed is covered under the 100K powertrain warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow at 6K that’s horrible

It seems to be common on the V8s but the OP has a V6 so not sure if it as common for that engine?
I have a V8 Engine emailed the dealer about setting up a service date waiting to hear back today from them. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Ah, that you do. Your SRT+ threw me...I thought you meant SXT+ but it looks like you have an RT+ (5.7L). I know see it in the vid. So it is definitely the water pump.

I have read folks replaced the pump 3 times within 65K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read folks replaced the pump 3 times within 65K.

Thanks for sharing this Chally. Mine has the shaker too so guess it was right on schedule to start going out at 6k miles :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
On my JGC the bearing failed but the seal was fine (no coolant leak) and the impeller was intact (although you can see where it rubbed against the housing). I still have one of my failed pumps...might take a sawzall to it and see what is up with the bearings. Wonder if it is the OAT coolant lubrication properties?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts