Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
washed the car in the evening and I guess the humidity was higher and got dark quicker. anyway I have water spots. Should I be okay in the morning doing a quick re wash section be section and drying section by section? I don't have a clay bar or anything just hose and wash and cloths.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Get yourself something like this for the future. There are various systems but you need to get the hardness out of the water. I have a double filter for where I live.

you may have a lot of work ahead of you in the morning as the calcium can harden very quickly and be extremely difficult to remove. You'll get lots of input shortly but when this happened to me some time ago I used a lite treatment of "scratch ex" to get all the stains off the paint. Worked fine, just lots of work. Washing simply didn't do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Get yourself something like this for the future. There are various systems but you need to get the hardness out of the water. I have a double filter for where I live.

Poly Guard GP15S System Hard Water Softener Alternative: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

you may have a lot of work ahead of you in the morning as the calcium can harden very quickly and be extremely difficult to remove. You'll get lots of input shortly but when this happened to me some time ago I used a lite treatment of "scratch ex" to get all the stains off the paint. Worked fine, just lots of work. Washing simply didn't do it.
Ugh thanks. Any brand/product you recommend to help remove it?
This is a dumb question but is that product you posted a direct hose fit treatment/ softener?

I think I might end up having the clay bar treatment then wax it in the garage tomorrow nightwould also work correct?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lmao, I did the exact same thing last night. I washed my car right before it got dark. My job called and I ended up working the rest of the night. Woke up this morning to huge hard water stains.

I tried 3 waxes and the only one that really helped was Nu Finish liquid wax. I used that wax, decent amount of pressure and a new microfiber cloth. 2 hours later and I still have some spots but at least 75% better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
If you have a good coat of wax on your car a simple detail spray or even a rewash should take care of the spots.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Clay bar should be the safest way, but I've found spray detailers used during drying works well. Both of these products should be available ay any major auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I recommend any acrylic-based cleaner/polish/wax, such as Turtle Wax Ice. Such quick-spray detailing products act almost as a micro-abrasive to easily and safely remove and polish away minor surface blemishes such as water spots.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A good random orbital buffer, I have a groit's and foam pads will work great. Any wax will work with these buffers. I had the same issue with a new Ram 1500, spotted from dealer washes. Clay bars, vinegar, etc will help but you need to polish them off and a coat of wax will keep them from coming back. No one magic product except elbow grease.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ugh thanks. Any brand/product you recommend to help remove it?
This is a dumb question but is that product you posted a direct hose fit treatment/ softener?

I think I might end up having the clay bar treatment then wax it in the garage tomorrow nightwould also work correct?

the filter has an inlet and outlet for your hose. There are other versions on the market. The filter media itself is a replaceable cartridge, they are not expensive. The rig I have has a particle filter in the first cartridge and the water softener in the second. I originally found it at Auto Anything (on line) but if you do a search you'll find others.

I found this setup was the key to keeping spots off the car. Where I live there is low humidity and the warm summer breeze acts as a continual air dryer. The water here is brutally hard. As I suggested Scratch X is available from any auto parts store. It doesn't take much and it did a good job of getting the calcium rings off. It was a lot of work. Go easy and do a small spot or two at first.

I agree with other comments about good wax jobs but I haven't found any wax/polish that removes the rings if they've really dried, YMMV. Good luck to you as I know it sucks to have this kind of problem.

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
125 Posts
He needs to start with a good quick detailer and then go to clay if that doesn't work. Then you go to orbital buffer. Start the least aggressive method. I like optimum no rinse for all kinds of things. (wash/quick detail/clay lube) It also has built in water softener.

Clay will take your wax down also BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
One idea I thought about but have not tried yet is to get a couple gallons of distilled water to just pour over the car before drying, it should flush most of the hard water off of the car. That said, if the hard water has already dried then it's too late.

Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A re wash made it about 50% better. Wednesday will be clay bar time. After every bar treatment wax is recommended right? What should I apply? Turtle wax or any other good brands ?
Thanks for all the tips for the future so I can avoid this.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
How about washing with a light vinegar solution? The acid should dissolve the calcium in the rings

Reactions: Czechman

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
A re wash made it about 50% better. Wednesday will be clay bar time. After every bar treatment wax is recommended right? What should I apply? Turtle wax or any other good brands ?
Thanks for all the tips for the future so I can avoid this.
If you want to this right, after the clay bar use a polish, then a sealer and then wax. As far as brands, I have no suggestions because they all yield great results when applied according to the instructions.

But first, try the vinegar wash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want to this right, after the clay bar use a polish, then a sealer and then wax. As far as brands, I have no suggestions because they all yield great results when applied according to the instructions.

But first, try the vinegar wash.
How light of a vinegar wash for a 2-3 gallon bucket? A cup, tbsp?
Also straight vinegar and water or my normal cleaning soap too? Sorry i'm clueless at "home-remedies" never had the spots before :(

If that wash works can I still apply wax on directly after the wash? Or is polish still always recommenced before wax?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Vinegar is supposed to dissolve calcium so just wet down a panel at a time with water/vinegar solution, then rinse and see how that works. If it doesn't work, any cleaner/wax should do the job.

That whole clay bar, polish, seal, wax thing is the ultimate thing you can do your paint. You can skip all that because a cleaner/wax will protect your paint. Cleaner/wax cannot be layered so if you want to put more wax on just pick up some carnuba and layer away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.