Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been looking to buy a new car sometime this year, but I'm in no rush. My budget is 25k, and instead of getting a plain car like a civic/accord/etc, I decided to see if I can get a challenger. I know my budget is a little low, but I think I can get a used one with under 30k miles for that price. My question to you all is, which one should I buy?
Hemi orange is my favorite, followed by B5 blue. Wouldn't even consider any other colors. So, that being said, I guess im stuck between 2009 and 2010 MYs (I've looked at '13 hemi oranges, but havent found one under 25k with ~30k miles).
The car would be a DD.
Which one is better, 2009 or 2010? Im extremely satisfied with an R/T, but if the price is right on an SRT, i wouldnt mind splurging, but I've heard the SRT isnt too great as a DD.
Opinions?
Major differences between 2009, 2010, and 2013s? do they all have pretty much the same options?
any info you have is much appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Also, im thinking of waiting until the 2015 is revealed and see if I can snag one from somebody trading it in- im sure there will be much more in dealer lots when the 2015 is released.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
For 30K, You should be able to get:

1. 6.1 SRT
2. Used Loaded 5.7, perhaps blower equipped or New base RT
3. Maybe even a used high mile 6.4 SRT

-I daily drive my SRT (45 miles total). It's a 6 speed. I wonder where this DD SRT myth originated.
-There are NO major differences between ALL RT's (Super Track Pack Cars are better). The 11 and up SRT's have 6.4, vice 6.1 Hemi's. The 6.1 SRT seems like your best bet. They have ALL the good stuff every SRT has; Brembo Brakes, Big Sway bars, Bilstein shocks, good steering gear, functional hood scoop, functional front splitter, forged crank, better seats, etc.

Like all Challengers, they are great candidates for superchargers. You can stroke it into a 426...the possibilities are endless.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The 2009 and 2010 should basically be identical in build, design and options available. The update happened in 2011 and this changed the front fascia, the suspension setup/geometry, the interior, the door handles, and various other changes.

If you can find a 2011 you like I would recommend that over a 2009 or 2010 simply due to the improved handling and better looking front-end, steering wheel, etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a decent 2011 R/T for your budget, though it might be tough if that also includes tax and fees. I don't think you'd be able to find an SRT8 within your $25k budget, but you never know. It doesn't hurt to look!

For a DD there's no reason why an SRT8 would be any better or worse than an R/T, the biggest difference is going to be fuel economy. Drivability isn't a problem.

I'd say just take your time and find the car that speaks to you, when you find it you'll know. :) If you have any doubts then don't make an impulse decision you might regret.

Good luck!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you have a $25K budget, then it sounds like you're not exactly in a position to throw a bunch of cash at a car. That's the same place I'm in right now. So my advice is to buy one that has warranty remaining on it. Reason being is the R/T had timing chain failures and I've heard of a few rear end failures also and the last thing you want to do is pay for that stuff out of pocket. So I highly recommend asking about warranties. I ended up buying a 2014 SXT for $24,500 instead of a used R/T. Sure, it's 25 less horsepower but it's got better fuel economy and a full 100K powertrain warranty.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wait for the 2015 models to start hitting the dealer lots in October and the get a brand new leftover 2014 for a big rebate and nice discount!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Timing chain failure is being debated here...

If you have a $25K budget, then it sounds like you're not exactly in a position to throw a bunch of cash at a car. That's the same place I'm in right now. So my advice is to buy one that has warranty remaining on it. Reason being is the R/T had timing chain failures and I've heard of a few rear end failures also and the last thing you want to do is pay for that stuff out of pocket. So I highly recommend asking about warranties. I ended up buying a 2014 SXT for $24,500 instead of a used R/T. Sure, it's 25 less horsepower but it's got better fuel economy and a full 100K powertrain warranty.

See threads. I don't mean to minimize a potential major problem. I personally believe the occurrences were rare, and have been since rectified.

More importantly.....6 speed manuals do NOT have a history of this problem. If your are going to get a Hemi...might as well enjoy the beauty of "rowing through gears."

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. 6.1 SRT
2. Used Loaded 5.7, perhaps blower equipped or New base RT
3. Maybe even a used high mile 6.4 SRT

-I daily drive my SRT (45 miles total). It's a 6 speed. I wonder where this DD SRT myth originated.
-There are NO major differences between ALL RT's (Super Track Pack Cars are better). The 11 and up SRT's have 6.4, vice 6.1 Hemi's. The 6.1 SRT seems like your best bet. They have ALL the good stuff every SRT has; Brembo Brakes, Big Sway bars, Bilstein shocks, good steering gear, functional hood scoop, functional front splitter, forged crank, better seats, etc.

Like all Challengers, they are great candidates for superchargers. You can stroke it into a 426...the possibilities are endless.
I like the idea of a 2010 SRT. Can you give me more info about what the SRT has over the R/T? I know you mentioned tons of them, are there any more things I should know about?
I checked out new R/Ts, and I would want one with Auto and a sunroof, so total would be around 31-32k + tax

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about considering Header Orange as well as Hemi Orange?
I've seen the 2014s when I stopped by the dealer. They're OK, but I like hemi orange much better. and B5 blue is just a great color with the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I considered getting a 2014 in header orange, but after some time thinking about it, that's not what I want to settle for. If I can get one a couple years older in a color I want with a v8, I think its worth the risk. Congrats on the purchase. My cousin had a '13 SXT and it was smooth. If they had it in hemi orange or B5 i would consider it, but for now, I dont think it's what I'm dreaming about. Thanks though

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2009 and 2010 should basically be identical in build, design and options available. The update happened in 2011 and this changed the front fascia, the suspension setup/geometry, the interior, the door handles, and various other changes.

If you can find a 2011 you like I would recommend that over a 2009 or 2010 simply due to the improved handling and better looking front-end, steering wheel, etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a decent 2011 R/T for your budget, though it might be tough if that also includes tax and fees. I don't think you'd be able to find an SRT8 within your $25k budget, but you never know. It doesn't hurt to look!

For a DD there's no reason why an SRT8 would be any better or worse than an R/T, the biggest difference is going to be fuel economy. Drivability isn't a problem.

I'd say just take your time and find the car that speaks to you, when you find it you'll know. :) If you have any doubts then don't make an impulse decision you might regret.

Good luck!
Well, I saw some '11s, but GWE is the only color I like from that MY. If I saw a GWE R/T with the right price, I would take it. I would love a '11 SRT8 but the price is too high on those when I look
I personally like the '10 steering wheel, and dont mind the front end. What's that about the handling though? does the '11RT have better/equivalent handling to a '10 RT or '10 SRT?

I know a little bit about the '11 refresh on the SRT's, but those are out of budget. the '11 RTs I know added VVT and the cylinder deactivation, but im slightly weary about the latter. I plan on keeping the car until it dies (or I die), and I just feel that the 4 cylinders will wear too quickly. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait for the 2015 models to start hitting the dealer lots in October and the get a brand new leftover 2014 for a big rebate and nice discount!
Theres no color in '14 that I care for. I'm hoping to still get a discount because of the flood (hopefully in my case) of cars coming back to trade in for the '15s. my Ideal purchase time would be any time from the fall to the winter of this year, whenever I find a nice low mileage car with a good price.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so far, Ideally, I would get a '10 SRT. Like c26bt34c said, They have ALL the good stuff every SRT has; Brembo Brakes, Big Sway bars, Bilstein shocks, good steering gear, functional hood scoop, functional front splitter, forged crank, better seats, etc.

Next, Im thinking the '13 RT (hemi orange). I dont care about leather/heated seats, as long as it has auto and a sunroof. It has a warranty and is new, which is a big plus, but lacks all the goodies of the SRT.
and third, im thinking a '10 B5 blue/ hemi orange RT. It's the most affordable, and as long as it has low mileage, I think itll be fine.
any disputes? things I should know?
I love any info I can get on any of these cars.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Got A 2010 r/t with 29000 miles...Manual trans, Leather, Sunroof for 25k after taxes. Clean carfax.

Took me a while to get the dealer down to that price.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I found a '09 Hemi orange SRT vs a '10 hemi orange SRT, is there any difference at all?
I know Yahoolagin mentioned that the 09/10 are similar, but I read somewhere that the '09 doesnt have ABS. is that true?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got A 2010 r/t with 29000 miles...Manual trans, Leather, Sunroof for 25k after taxes. Clean carfax.

Took me a while to get the dealer down to that price.
How is it? enjoying it? anything you wish you added? or wish you got an SRT? or does it do its job well enough

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, what about an 08 SRT? are there too many problems with those considering they're the first batch? or are they more expensive because of the first addition on most of them

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
What's that about the handling though? does the '11RT have better/equivalent handling to a '10 RT or '10 SRT?
IMO, the '11+ R/T and SRT8 handling is much better than pre-2011. They made changes to the camber, among other things, which helped give the car more responsive steering and better handling. The previous years were a bit boat-like.

the '11 RTs I know added VVT and the cylinder deactivation, but im slightly weary about the latter. I plan on keeping the car until it dies (or I die), and I just feel that the 4 cylinders will wear too quickly. I could be wrong.
The Gen III 5.7L HEMI w/ VVT and MDS has been used in the automatic R/Ts since their debut in 2009. 6-speed models don't have MDS but they do have VVT. There have been various changes to the exhaust and engine tuning along the way, but the 5.7L itself hasn't changed between 2009 and now.

For model year 2011 the SRT8 went from the non-VVT, non-MDS 6.1L to the 6.4L (392) with VVT and, on the autos, MDS. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of.

All models and years have ABS and traction/stability control. 2008 SRT8s didn't have a true limited-slip diff, in 2009 they were available.

Since you want an auto I would highly recommend finding one with STP (Super Track Pack).

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Are you sure you want my explanation :)

I like the idea of a 2010 SRT. Can you give me more info about what the SRT has over the R/T? I know you mentioned tons of them, are there any more things I should know about?
I checked out new R/Ts, and I would want one with Auto and a sunroof, so total would be around 31-32k + tax
....Yep...the "Cliff Claven" of this site can bloviate ALL DAY LONG :) (I've been known to post while drinking) Here Goes: (These are the FACTS!!!)

1. The RT is a BADAZZ car. Don't let any SRT guys downplay it. It has plenty of low end grunt (Q). Properly driven, it will not let you down. Matter of fact, I stirred up some controversy when I made a post that basically said: In normal daily driving situations...I did not FEEL a significant difference between the two.

2. That being said, the SRT is a better deal for most. I say most, because a gifted gearhead/mech can build an RT that is better than an SRT...in every way. But average guys cannot. If you have blowers, brakes, etc installed by experts.... on your RT, it WILL COST MORE than an SRT.

3. The SRT has other aspects about it that are superior to the RT besides power. It handles better (The STP RT handles pretty [email protected] good). It stops good also...but NOT as good as the SRT...I'd say it's about 70% SRT...where as the NON STP RT's totally BLOW... 50% as good maybe...when it comes to handling. STP brakes are GOOD. They are the same as standard RT calipers...but with better pads. They are not as good as Brembos.

4. The SRT has "adaptive suspension." Hit the "sport button" and you will FEEL IT!!! SRT sway bars are better than RT (STP RT's have the same sway bars and shocks...but not the same steering gear).

5. SRT has BREMBO's. This ALONE makes the SRT worth it. Believe me, I priced Brembo conversions for my RT, they are BIG $$$$$. If you are adding a blower and Brembo's to an RT...you just bought a fully loaded SRT.

6. BUT!!!...you did not get the better seats, steering wheel, front splitter that actually cools the brakes, functional hood scoop, Forged Cam, etc.

7. Also, there are silly frills that old guys like me don't want...until they get them. Keyless entry comes to mind.... I walk up to the car (key in pocket) and open the locked door. I start the car with a button. I shut it down with a button. It's cool. There are many other silly features like this...but they ADD up.

Bottom line. The RT is a great muscle car. Better than Mustang GT or SS Camaro IMO (I test drove them..they FAILED...RT WON). The RT will satisfy 90% of the Challenger population. But...if you want the best...get an SRT.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts