Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

Glad to be apart of this community! Just picked up an 18' R/T this past Monday! :bigthumb:

I have two questions...My specific R/T came with the blacktop package, which I love. But there's one small thing I want to upgrade ASAP! My black wheels have chrome lug nuts and valve stem caps on them! I'm trying to go for a blacked out stealthy look.

In any case, I came across these lug nuts:

Gorilla Black Chrome Locking Lug Nut Set 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

And these:
Gorilla OEM Black Locking Set 2005-2018 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum

Now...Can someone tell me what exactly is the difference between these? One is half the price of the other but they both seem to come with almost identical things? And I guess in general would these be considered a good product?

Also found these valve stem caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hash-Strip...788819&hash=item5d7d984035:g:Yh4AAOSwBahU520d

They're plastic so I think those should be fine hopefully...

If not...Would anyone have any recommendations? Same with the valve stem caps...They're chrome as well and I'd love to get some black ones!

Thanks for any assistance...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Those Gorilla lugnuts are good, you will be satisfied with them. As for the difference in them, can't say. Hopefully someone else will chime in. As for the valve stem caps, those should be fine. Being plastic, you don't want to crank down to hard tightening them or they will most likely crack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those Gorilla lugnuts are good, you will be satisfied with them. As for the difference in them, can't say. Hopefully someone else will chime in. As for the valve stem caps, those should be fine. Being plastic, you don't want to crank down to hard tightening them or they will most likely crack.

Thanks for the response. Plastic is the best to use right? I seem to be seeing that metal shouldn't be used due to corrosion and such.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Thanks for the response. Plastic is the best to use right? I seem to be seeing that metal shouldn't be used due to corrosion and such.
Certain metals when combined will start to corrode, but aluminum valve stem with aluminum cap will be fine. Plastic is fine to use, the only draw back is over tightening like I said before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Certain metals when combined will start to corrode, but aluminum valve stem with aluminum cap will be fine. Plastic is fine to use, the only draw back is over tightening like I said before.

Oh ok thanks for the info.

And I think I see one difference between those lug nuts...One is Conical Seat Type Standard while the other is Conical Seat Type Bulge....Does that difference alone explain the double the price difference though?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Oh ok thanks for the info.

And I think I see one difference between those lug nuts...One is Conical Seat Type Standard while the other is Conical Seat Type Bulge....Does that difference alone explain the double the price difference though?
That I really can't help you with, hopefully someone else who is more knowledgeable about the difference will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,701 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Sheikah. I've tried to find this before. All the difference is what you mentioned, slightly different lengths, and different size socket size, but that's for the key, so...

The 1/2 price ones are what I have. Worked great 2 years, they will work for you. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
If you buy the Gorilla lug nuts, you should also buy at least four (or, preferably 8) locking lug nuts with spinning sleeves. These will protect your wheels from theft.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,701 Posts
The ones he listed are all locks, 20 locks, that's what I have. A Guy

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,049 Posts
I've used gorilla lug nuts on both of my Challengers and they are well worth the money imo. The factory lug nuts blow, if a mechanic uses any air tools to remove them you will most likely see that the finish quickly swells and cracks, then try to get a socket on one. Nope best to replace them from the start, I think you will find that the gorilla lug nuts will look and work great for you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
TPMS valve stem covers:

I've used gorilla lug nuts on both of my Challengers and they are well worth the money imo. The factory lug nuts blow, if a mechanic uses any air tools to remove them you will most likely see that the finish quickly swells and cracks, then try to get a socket on one. Nope best to replace them from the start, I think you will find that the gorilla lug nuts will look and work great for you.
If you want to put on aftermarket valve stem covers on TPMS valves, they should be plastic with an internal seal. If you use metal caps, put a dab on anti-seize compound on the threads of the valve stem to prevent corrosion. Good advice about the Gorilla lug nuts. I think I will change mine out as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use these wheel locks and these valve stem caps. They are very stealthy and cover the valve stem completely. The wheel locks are a lot nicer looking than the stock chrome ones too. The valve stems may take some time to get to you as they are shipped from China I believe but they work pretty well if you can wait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts