Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to do more road race events in my car and want to purchase a dedicated set of wheels/tires for the track.

I have found some 18" wheels that fit my scat pack but have no idea what size tires to use. My fear is if I change the outside diameter of the wheel/tire combo then it will affect the ecu, brakes, speedometer, etc.

Does anyone have any wheel and/or tire recommendations?

What size tires should I use on the 18" wheels?

My car is a 15' challenger scat pack

The 18" wheels that I referenced are the bravado tributes at Summit Racing.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm posting from my phone and for some reason it pushed all of my sentences together.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Running the tributes 18x10 and 18x9. Tire choice is fairly limited if you are lowered it will scrape everything on 18’s just fyi

The tires are 295/45R18 rear and 275/40R18 in the front . Im currently looking for a “45” series for the front

·
Vendor
12,085 Posts
you need to keep the roll close, of it will affect stability systems, abs etc

also be aware of the tires you want to run, sizing can be an issue

Luke

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,205 Posts
I run 245/55/18 Motivos in front and 295/45/18 555G2s in the rear. Front wheels are 8" wide and rear are 9.5" wide. I have no issues with handling or the speedo...

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Running the tributes 18x10 and 18x9. Tire choice is fairly limited if you are lowered it will scrape everything on 18’s just fyi

The tires are 295/45R18 rear and 275/40R18 in the front . Im currently looking for a “45” series for the front
Thanks trippy for the photo! Im slightly lowered with Mopar performance springs. As long as I can drive to the track and race then I'm okay with the scrape issue.

I like how the size you mentioned is practically the same overall diameter to prevent it from screwing with gearing/spedo/stability control.

Also thanks to everyone else who contributed to this post. I've been beating my head on a wall trying to find the right setup

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rota 18x12 wheels with 335/30/18 BFGs, Rivals im guessing.

i read this off the autocross thread below. 18's pretty popular size performance wise.
Which thread were you referring to?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks trippy for the photo! Im slightly lowered with Mopar performance springs. As long as I can drive to the track and race then I'm okay with the scrape issue.

I like how the size you mentioned is practically the same overall diameter to prevent it from screwing with gearing/spedo/stability control.

Also thanks to everyone else who contributed to this post. I've been beating my head on a wall trying to find the right setup

Keep in mind, if you have a tazer you can make speedo correction regardless of tire/wheel size.

If you’re going to be putting serious track time, you may have to go lower profile tires like Wasp’s setup. Stiffer sidewall and a low profile would work best. Ive setup mine for canyon cruisin but still able to daily, and those 45 series tires really cushion a lot of the ride.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you need to keep the roll close, of it will affect stability systems, abs etc

also be aware of the tires you want to run, sizing can be an issue

Luke
Luke,

If I use a tazer to adjust the spedo will it still cause problems with other systems (ie: abs, stability control, etc)?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind, if you have a tazer you can make speedo correction regardless of tire/wheel size.
Trippy I just saw your reply after i posted my last reply to Luke. Do you know if making the adjustments on the tazer will also correct other issues with stability control, antilock brakes, etc? Road Atlanta is my favorite track and it's a concrete jungle. I dont lean on stability control but definitely like knowing its there. :lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Trippy I just saw your reply after i posted my last reply to Luke. Do you know if making the adjustments on the tazer will also correct other issues with stability control, antilock brakes, etc? Road Atlanta is my favorite track and it's a concrete jungle. I dont lean on stability control but definitely like knowing its there. :lol:

Ill tell you what

I usually turn it off when im going through the canyons and she grips just fine. But i have a lot if suspension done and am working mechanical grip to the bone. Proper camber, good shocks, solid sway bars, and poly bushings.

Definitely suggest turning traction off

Dont think the tazer can help with any of that except turning esp completely off

·
Vendor
12,085 Posts
Luke,

If I use a tazer to adjust the spedo will it still cause problems with other systems (ie: abs, stability control, etc)?
not the issue, front to rear wheel size is, you have to make sure the front and rear roll out are very close to each other

for example and depending on brand, 245/45r20 and 275/40r20 are nearly identical at 28.6 inches height

Luke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts