Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I have a 2016 Challenger RT with 13K miles. It has no warranty as I bought it and exported it to Panama. The car used to start perfectly every time since I bought it about a year ago.
The problem started when I took a trip and didn't started the car for about 35 days. Prior of trip I got a brand new battery.
The engine turns really strong but it just doesn't start. I checked all the Ignition and starter relays and fuses in the engine fuse box and they all seem to be working OK. I did the same with the fuel pump relay and fuse in the trunk fuse box and they also seem to be OK.
I unplugged the fuel line that comes into the engine and it was dry (no gas leaking at all), so my next move to see if the car will at least start for a few seconds was just to spray a little bit of gas into the air filter tube which carries the air into the engine. To my surprise it started right away and idles perfectly, the engine revs perfectly when you press the gas, he engine just runs without any issues. If I turn off the car and try to start it again immediately it does starts again, but if I wait a few minutes it doesn't wants to start again until I spray a little more fuel.
Has anyone here in the forum had a similar problem? Can the fuel pumps be the problem? Could it be something else? Please let me know what you think I should do next.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
The behavior suggests a fuel pump. That you disconnected the fuel line and it was "dry" suggests the fuel pump did not run even long enough to fill the fuel line with gasoline.

My limited experience with a bad fuel pump occurred when a car of mine developed a no start condition after a start but the engine died just moments after starting and would not start with reasonable cranking time -- is the tech gained access to the fuel pump and disconnected it from the car's wiring harness then connected 12V shop power to the fuel pump to see if the pump ran. It did not. He replaced the pump.

Prior to this at home I verified the fuse was good. The tech loaned my his bypass relay and I used this to confirm the relay was not the problem.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like you might be losing fuel pressure after the vehicle sits. Best wat to confirm that would be to install a mechanical gauge and verify fuel pressure at the rail.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Was your car throwing any codes? I read a thread at challenger ****** that another member had bad gas in his tank. He was given a sample from the dealership where the bad gas looked like bright yellow piss and the good gas looked like like champagne. Where did u get gas last?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was your car throwing any codes? I read a thread at challenger ** that another member had bad gas in his tank. He was given a sample from the dealership where the bad gas looked like bright yellow piss and the good gas looked like like champagne. Where did u get gas last?
I scanned it but it didn't throw any codes. I was also thinking it could be bad gas. Does anyone know how to drain the gas tank so I can put new gas in?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Try and siphon it out. Not by mouth! You maybe able to get a siphon hose from Home Depot. How full is the tank? If it’s about a 1/4 full, get some large gas cans and put some 93 octane in it. Hopefully it’s just bad gas. Would a crank position sensor cause the car not to start? Could be a sensor too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts