Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.1, looking at the vibration damper there's no way to connect the lower blower drive pulley, the damper doesn't have the three holes to screw into. Do I need to buy a new damper and if so do you have any suggestions? I hope all that made sense...

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not familiar with the E-force, but if you're using a dedicated drive system, then you'll need an aftermarket damper. Did your kit come with two belts or one? If one belt, you'll be using the OEM accessory belt drive system and shouldn't need the pulley or aftermarket damper. If two belts, then one belt will drive the OEM accessories and the other belt will drive the SC, so you'll need an aftermarket damper. On my ProCharger set-up, I went with ATI 5% OD balancer, part #918432. Also, the crank bolt is only meant to torqued once, so I'd also order a new damper/crank bolt. Finally, if you go with the ATI damper, it may come with a square slot that allows use of a woodruff key, if so, I'd fill up the slot with permatex so you don't get oil seeping from inside the timing chain cover between the crank snout and inside of the damper hub.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phinatic thank you for the reply and help! Yes it does have two belts so it looks like I'll be shopping for the ATI damper, thank you for the part number that's going to make it easy, I'll also get the bolt as well.

Thanks again for your great help! Tony

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey Tony, I would check with Edelbrock first, just to ensure the crank pulley will line up with the SC pulley once it bolts up to the ATI damper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 6.1 kit (1536) is dedicated drive and has two belts. The lower pulley has two pulleys on it. You remove the stock one and install the eforce one. That's the one you pin.
Is that what your talking about?
It looks like you don't have the right pulley

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 6.1 kit (1536) is dedicated drive and has two belts. The lower pulley has two pulleys on it. You remove the stock one and install the eforce one. That's the one you pin.
Is that what your talking about?
It looks like you don't have the right pulley
I bought the kit used, I guess he kept the replacement damper on his car. So will the ATI damper need to be pinned? Did I just open up a can of worms?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO, you should always pin the crank if running a SC.

Looking at a couple websites, looks like the E-force kit comes with a BHJ Damper:

6.1L HEMI E-Force Supercharger by Edelbrock

http://http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-E-Force-Supercharger-Kits-for-57L-61L-64L-HEMI/2012958/10002/-1
Thank you Phinatic. This is the ATI I'm looking at, I did call Summit but the young lady was not able to confirm it would fit and was not able to contact their tech department. Can anyone confirm it will or will not work? Thanks, I'm new to forced induction (like you couldn't tell :grin2:) so forgive my ignorance and thanks for the help! Tony

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-918432

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought the kit used, I guess he kept the replacement damper on his car. So will the ATI damper need to be pinned? Did I just open up a can of worms?
Just call edelbrock and tell them you need the lower pulley set up for a 1536 kit. Yes you need to pin it so you might as well get the pin tool while your at it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just call edelbrock and tell them you need the lower pulley set up for a 1536 kit. Yes you need to pin it so you might as well get the pin tool while your at it
I called them on a couple of other parts I knew I needed, they told me to go through jegs or summit, whom couldn't help either. I did find a supercharger shop on line that is helping but they in turn have to go through Edelbrock for the parts, I was hoping to get my car back on the road this week, if I go that route then it wont be until next late next week vs ATI and done this week, if it would fit/work... Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
I called them on a couple of other parts I knew I needed, they told me to go through jegs or summit, whom couldn't help either. I did find a supercharger shop on line that is helping but they in turn have to go through Edelbrock for the parts, I was hoping to get my car back on the road this week, if I go that route then it wont be until next late next week vs ATI and done this week, if it would fit/work... Thanks!
That's unfortunate but apparently the norm. I have read Magnuson denying owners the aluminum coolant fittings as they are sold as part of the SC only. That is why I posted the crank pin kit, although the axial version is the only type I have seen sold. Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's unfortunate but apparently the norm. I have read Magnuson denying owners the aluminum coolant fittings as they are sold as part of the SC only. That is why I posted the crank pin kit, although the axial version is the only type I have seen sold. Good luck!
Thanks Brother! The shop that's helping me is getting me a pinning kit, should hopefully be here early next week, I'll have to ask them to get the damper too and wait on edelbrock to ship it. Oh well, got the supercharger at a good price so I can't complain but am anxious to drive it :grin2:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you Phinatic. This is the ATI I'm looking at, I did call Summit but the young lady was not able to confirm it would fit and was not able to contact their tech department. Can anyone confirm it will or will not work? Thanks, I'm new to forced induction (like you couldn't tell :grin2:) so forgive my ignorance and thanks for the help! Tony

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-918432
Yes, this will fit the 6.1L and the OEM accessories/belt will line up. The unknown is the spacing of the pulley when bolting it up to the ATI balancer and if it will line up with e-force pulleys.

I would pursue going with the damper/pulley that comes with the Edelbrock kit, if you can get them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, this will fit the 6.1L and the OEM accessories/belt will line up. The unknown is the spacing of the pulley when bolting it up to the ATI balancer and if it will line up with e-force pulleys.

I would pursue going with the damper/pulley that comes with the Edelbrock kit, if you can get them.
That's the plan Phinatic, I guess waiting a few more days for a damper that I know will work isn't going to kill me, may be a little painful but I wont die :grin2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd like to point out a couple other challenges you may face.

Last year I purchased a 4 year old E-force kit for my 09 5.7 R/T. Good thing was that it was only missing the drive belt.

First off, carefully inspect the inlet and outlet ports of the SC, use mirrors and bright lights. I found a few metal shavings that appeared to be left over from some machining process during manufacture. SC was in the manufacture's box and still bagged, so I don't think the the contamination came from sitting around somewhere for 4 years.

The programming that was supplied by Edelbrock was crap for my situation here with a 6000 ft elevation. It may be a decent starting place for you since you are in San Antonio.

Finally, check to see if you have a external spring attached to the linkage on the vacuum actuator. Later E-force kits had the spring added to reduce boost surge. Edelbrock was nice enough to send me the kit free of charge. It did make a difference.

Have fun with the install.
Lowell

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Lowell, I'll definitely check out the ports. I'll have to get a custom start up tune, already talked to my tuner about that, my motor has a few modifications already. I'm currently stuck waiting on edelbrock to ship me a pinning kit, it's been a week and I've heard nothing which is not making me happy. I may look into buying a pinning kit elsewhere since I have to get this thing running and in Houston before the end of the week so my tuner can dyno tune it, otherwise it will be e-mail tunes which I'd prefer not to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to live in Friendswood, on the south side of Houston.

I wonder if the pinning kit is the same for the 5.7 and the 6.1 cranks. If so, I could lend you the jig and drill bit. Problem is that I don't know the material and the dimensions of the pin. I'm sure that McMaster/Carr would carry the pin stock. When I was helping a guy out at the Pearland airport, as long as we ordered things by 4 pm, we had the stuff by noon the next day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Curiosity got me. Pulled the install and parts lists.

It would appear that the paperwork I have seems to indicate that all this stuff is common to the 1530, 1531, 1532, 1533, 1536 and 1537 kits with year applications 2005 to 2010. So it would seem that the drill guide, drill bit and the reamer is common to all of the above kits. The pin or dowel called out is steel with dimensions of 1/4" x 1/2". I would assume it is just mild steel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts