Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Blackberry Pearl Dodge Challenger 3.6L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Thanks ahead of time for anyone who responds for the assistance}

So last night my wife and I drove into town to get a couple of things. Walked into the store and was in there maybe 15 minutes, came out and her challenger wouldn't start. She has the 2011 SE 3.6L. The car would crank but would not start. It tried several times and seemed as if it was starving for fuel. So I started trying to dx the problem in the parking lot (now here is where I will say I have mid-level mechanical knowledge and understanding..lol) I assumed it was either the fuse, relay or pump that was out. I then found out through searching that FCA has basically TWO pumps in this vehicle. So after having someone pick us up to take us back to get out truck, I picked up a couple of relays and fuses (start small first) and went back to the car. I replaced those.....no change... still would crank but no start. I pulled the back seat and eyed over the two pump areas, both appeared normal with no signs of damage or leak. So I decided to try something (remember that enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous..lol). I know in some older vehicles the Fuel pump could "lock up" or "freeze" temporarily before going completely out (similar to a starter). So I checked the line attachment to the unit on the passenger side and fit was good. So I had her try to start the car while I tapped on each unit. Passenger side first, when we did it sputtered and then nothing., Tried again, nothing. So we moved to the drivers side unit. Upon the second tap on the unit the car started and we were able to drive it home. Now car will not start (regardless of tapping...lol) So I know it is one of the fuel pumps. So here now leads me to my question for help, which unit could possibly be bad Passenger side or driver side, and/or how can I tell without having the full equipment of a mechanics shop. Replacing both units isn't financially possible for us right now. So any help or advise you can share would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
The left side unit has the actua pump module and sock/filter and really just pumps to the auxiliary unit on the right. The right side unit has two jobs:
  • continually pump fuel (when present) from its side of the saddle tank over to the other side
  • send fuel received from main unit straight to the engine.

So, in your scenario, it does not sound like the auxiliary unit is the problem, as it would have never started again once the initial problem set in.

It sounds to me like the main pump assembly is the problem, but that’s still just an educated guess from long distance.

If it were me, I would remove the main unit from the gas tank and bench test it using a bucket of fuel. It’s pretty simple to do, but obviously dangerous given the product you’re messing with (flammable liquid). If you are not comfortable doing that, don’t try it. It’s not worth risking severe injury for sure.

Place your hand over the main pump assembly hat and have someone key on the ignition. A foot OFF the brake will insure no engine starting is attempted, which is fine. You are just feeling for the pump to energize for 2 seconds at initial power up. If you don’t feel that, it’s likely bad and needs replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Blackberry Pearl Dodge Challenger 3.6L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The left side unit has the actua pump module and sock/filter and really just pumps to the auxiliary unit on the right. The right side unit has two jobs:
  • continually pump fuel (when present) from its side of the saddle tank over to the other side
  • send fuel received from main unit straight to the engine.

So, in your scenario, it does not sound like the auxiliary unit is the problem, as it would have never started again once the initial problem set in.

It sounds to me like the main pump assembly is the problem, but that’s still just an educated guess from long distance.

If it were me, I would remove the main unit from the gas tank and bench test it using a bucket of fuel. It’s pretty simple to do, but obviously dangerous given the product you’re messing with (flammable liquid). If you are not comfortable doing that, don’t try it. It’s not worth risking severe injury for sure.

Place your hand over the main pump assembly hat and have someone key on the ignition. A foot OFF the brake will insure no engine starting is attempted, which is fine. You are just feeling for the pump to energize for 2 seconds at initial power up. If you don’t feel that, it’s likely bad and needs replacement.
I dont know why I hadnt seen your reply till now. Thank you, I was able to get on from a local salvage yard and got it replaced without issues. Appreciate the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts