Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the valve springs on my 09 Challenger 5.7. I was putting one of the valve spring retaining locks back on, and if fell, possibly into one of the pushrod holes or oil holes. I had a rag under the spring but obviously not good enough. How f'ed am I? How do I get it out or can I get it out without tearing the hole friken thing apart.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
I dropped one of the little compression springs for the valve stem seals down the oil hole once. Been about 10,000 miles since and still drives fine. Now the retainer is a different story. I'd first drain the oil if it's not empty already to see if you're lucky enough that it's at the bottom of the oil pan

·
Registered
745 Posts
Id search for it with a bore scope and magnet. If i couldnt find it that way and i was 100% sure it fell into the motor, pull the pan. I wouldnt want nothing like that floating around in my engine. Might never do any damage, but then again it might.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I dropped and where it might have gone. 1 picture is a pic of the lower pushrod hole and the other the intake valve.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I doubt it is in the pan. Probably in the lifter valley. You may have to pull the head. I’d try the magnetic borescope first. Home Depot has a Milwaukee one for around 200 if you don’t have one.

Machine Auto part Technology Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ya with it being on the intake side id say the same, lifter valley and not the pan. If you cant find it with a bore scope and magnet then pull the head off. Will make installing the springs easier for the rest of the valves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was changing the valve springs on my 09 Challenger 5.7. I was putting one of the valve spring retaining locks back on, and if fell, possibly into one of the pushrod holes or oil holes. I had a rag under the spring but obviously not good enough. How f'ed am I? How do I get it out or can I get it out without tearing the hole friken thing apart.
Sounds crazy I know, but this may help "Magnet Wise" find someone with hearing aids or go to a hearing aid center. They have these fine little magnets on the end of a little stick they use to get the batteries out. It tiny enough to tie to a piece of dental floss (thread is too weak) and you can ease down into the hole with plenty of room to spare. the hearing aid magnet has a wire on the opposite end you can tie the floss to and not worry about loosing it inside the engine. Good luck man, hope you get it out or at least find it if it happens to not be in there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the head and the springs were a breeze. I am pretty sure it fell into the exhaust pushrod hole on the bottom of the head. I can get a magnet down but nothing. I will have to find a scope or buy one. I don't know where it friken went. I appreciate all the suggestions! Thank you!!!!

After further review, I am not a mechanic, but here is a picture of where I think the retainer went. Not a pushrod hole. My mistake, I put the rockers arms on and it gave me quite a better reference to look at. Where does this hole go? I circled it in red. I apologize for my incorrect reference in my above posts. Like I said I am not a mechanic, just a guy with more balls than brains. lol

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Yea that's exactly where I assumed you dropped it, like I said drop the oil and if nothing comes out I'd drop the pan next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts