Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need some real help with your opinions. Real opinions, not touchy, feely, you will be fine, comments.

I am thinking about getting a new Challenger in Plum Crazy. I currently drive one in billet silver. I want my new car to be a little more flashy.

I have a classic car that is In-Violet (Same as Plum Crazy). I like the color but the 2 reasons I painted it purple was because that was the original factory color for that car and I wanted it to grab attention at car shows. My classic car is not my daily driver.

My new Challenger will be my daily driver.

Ok, here is my chain of thought.

1. My wife used to own a car a few years back that was purple. Now she tells me that she associates purple cars as girl cars.

2. I already own one purple car so I don't need another one.

3. Two purple cars would look good together.

4. I like some of the other colors like Sublime and Hemi Orange.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your time to read this post.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I first wanted an orange, black or gray car. But once I saw PCP I knew what I wanted. It's not a girlie color but it's a specialty color with a legacy. I get nothing but positive comments on how the car looks

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385146073.063539.jpg

If you want one, get one, who cares what anyone thinks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey guys,

I need some real help with your opinions. Real opinions, not touchy, feely, you will be fine, comments.

I am thinking about getting a new Challenger in Plum Crazy. I currently drive one in billet silver. I want my new car to be a little more flashy. Plum Crazy is way more flashy than billet silver. Silver cars are the last ones to turn heads when going down the road. I was parked next to a silver Challenger at a show once and, nothing against silver Challengers or anything, a guy came up and complimented me on my Toxic Orange Challenger. Never said anything to the guy next to me. Just throwing that out there.

I have a classic car that is In-Violet (Same as Plum Crazy). I like the color but the 2 reasons I painted it purple was because that was the original factory color for that car and I wanted it to grab attention at car shows. My classic car is not my daily driver.

1. My wife used to own a car a few years back that was purple. Now she tells me that she associates purple cars as girl cars.

That's absolutely absurd. Plum Crazy (and Furious Fuchsia) are NOT girl colors when talking about the Challenger. Reason I mention Furious Fuchsia is because it's my second favorite Challenger color. There's no reason for anyone to ever associate a purple car, such as this Plum Crazy car you want, with a woman...unless you know nothing about the history of the Challenger and don't understand it's an original color.

Ehh, it'd look cool having 2 though.

Agree 100%.

Plum Crazy is a more rare color from what I've seen. I've seen more Hemi Orange than I have Plum Crazy. Not seen too many Sublime though. Still like Plum Crazy more.

In conclusion, GO FOR IT! I'd love to see some pictures if you get one. It's an awesome color.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK. You asked for opinions, and obviously everybody's got one. In my opinion, PCP is a girl's color. But go with what you like, not what I like. I fell in love with white - you may hate white. But I'm proud of my car, and you should be proud of whatever color you buy.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just threw the "My wife thinks purple is a girl color" out there as a wild card. Trust me, I am well versed in classic Mopar history.

My real question is in points 3. and 4. of my original post.

I know this will be my car and I can do what I want... The reason I am asking is because sometimes I can get tunnel vision and I need a sounding board to straighten my brain out.

If 80% of you guys are against Plum Crazy, I may buy it anyway. What I want is honest opinions. Most of the people I talked to told me not to paint the 'Cuda the way I did. That is exactly why I painted it that way.

Oh, and it's not like I am going to just pop down to the local dealer this afternoon. I need to let this run around in my mind for a while.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
People who understand cars and Mopars will NOT see it as a girl color, but as a legacy as someone else stated. I have a lot of respect for that color.

I had the choice in 2010 to get a PCP R/TC and decided to go with brilliant black. Honestly, I like PCP but it is a little TOO flashy for me, as it was going to be my daily driver. No regrets on black here, honestly it's the best looking car when cleaned.

That said, be ready for a lot of moronic responses from those who don't know anything about cars. You might get a "Is that your wife's car?", or from a ricer , "Haha, girlie girlie car!!" If you can live with all ignorant crap that people will give you for having a purple car, than by all means go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I wanted a PCP when I bought my 2012. I wish I would have waited... Now that I hear that Sublime might come back I would prefer that. I think purple and Sublime would look great together!!! The two best Mopar colors IMO.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm partial to purple. My first car was a purple 1970 Super Bee.

Purple is not a girls car like pink might be. I have never seen a purple vagina. :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have "never" heard that Purple is a girls color. Everywhere I go, both male and female stop at my car, at shows, in the shopping mall parking lot, at ACE hardware........it's an eye catcher and all of us PCP owners would never get another color.

It is not something you see everyday, at least not here. I get the thumbs while driving and "hey, nice car" everywhere.

Go for it! make it a pair.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Purple looks good on the Challenger... to me.... there isn't much more 'manly' on the road than a Challenger.....

now... if the car in question was a Ford Focus painted in purple... that might be considered a girl car color..

Go with your gut.... PCP will turn heads... it is a grabber type color that you cannot miss.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a new Challenger in Plum Crazy. I currently drive one in billet silver. I want my new car to be a little more flashy.

I love the PCP on R/T classics, IMO they are the best looking Challenger out there especially when combined with the R/T classic side stripes and white interior. If I was given the freedom to place an order I would've gotten a PCP R/T classic.

Regarding the purple being a girls color... I have always thought that way but this doesn't seem to apply IMO when it comes to muscle cars, these colors are what made them stand out back in the day. People loved it back then, they love it now and they'll still be loving it 40 years from now IMO. Owning a purple Honda Civic, VW Beetle or a MINI cooper would be a completely different thing.

I think that if you get a PCP car it would really go well with your classic PCP.

Sublime and Hemi Orange both look great as well, but if I was in YOUR situation and had to choose I'd definitely get the PCP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The High Impact colors like Plum are great on a car that might be a weekend cruiser or toy.
In my opinion if you daily drive the car, the high impact colors get old real quick.

Purple also looks better on the older 70-74 models than it does with newer cars. Might have something to do with the older purple color. To me the new color is a shade or two off and doesnt look as nice as the old version.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,030 Posts
Plum Crazy is a great color (Had a 70 Cuda that was originally that color) and owning two Plum Crazy cars, a classic and new Challenger would be pretty cool IMO.

If you are planning on buying new, then Hemi Orange is out of the question (at least for now) as the current orange is Header Orange. Sublime isn't out yet and with Chrysler current track record on that color I wouldn't count on it until you see them showing up on the dealers lots. So that pretty much leaves you with Plum Crazy unless you want to wait to see what they make for the Spring. In any event I don't think you would be going wrong with Plum Crazy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I love mine. Even when I bought my first 11 Challenger in white, I said then that plum crazy with white stripes was IMO the prettiest combo for the challenger but it wasn't available for the 11's. Now, I am blessed to own my dream challenger. I have had plenty of compliments on the car. The plum crazy color just makes you want to stare at the challenger even more. Every time I look at it, I think "yep I picked the right color for this car." It does stand out so anyone wanting to blend in a little more should probably not choose the color. It is not a girl color though. It is a classic/retro color on the king of retro cars. Anyone with any knowledge concerning mopar muscle will see it as such and love it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have had Hemi Orange, Detonator Yellow, and now Plum Crazy. The latter gets way more compliments and stares than the others. Detonator Yellow got the least attention since yellow is fairly common, especially on the Camaro. I would get PCP again and again. It has a beautiful metallic when the sun hits it. If you get a R/T Classic, get the white stripes. It pops! Also, PCP is not a girl's color. Furious Fuschia is :) As a side note, there was a big group of middle school boys walking through the grocery store lot who complimented the car the other day. I said sarcastically, "It's not too girly, right?" "No, that's the best color on that car." True story LOL

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have had Hemi Orange, Detonator Yellow, and now Plum Crazy. The latter gets way more compliments and stares than the others. Detonator Yellow got the least attention since yellow is fairly common, especially on the Camaro. I would get PCP again and again. It has a beautiful metallic when the sun hits it. If you get a R/T Classic, get the white stripes. It pops! Also, PCP is not a girl's color. Furious Fuschia is :) As a side note, there was a big group of middle school boys walking through the grocery store lot who complimented the car the other day. I said sarcastically, "It's not too girly, right?" "No, that's the best color on that car." True story LOL
I agree on the white stripes. When I bought mine, the dealer had 3 others with the black stripes but the black just blended in with the purple too much. I wax my stripes with the rest of the car and yeah, it pops.

·
Registered
81 Posts
plum crazy color is awesome IMO. As a flaming heterosexual male........I love it....and I'd get it in a second if they offered it in a blacktop version. Actually maybe I wouldn't .......b/c it would draw too much attention......others like that. I don't so much.....but that's me.
But I love the color and would definitely go for it if I were you!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts