Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in need of a new gauge cluster for my 09 R/T the dealer wants 750 for reconditioned. I am looking on ebay and i can find some for 150-300 now i like the 2011+ clusters a lot better they look like they fit, but will they hook up and reprogram as good as a 09 model? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
IIRC, they do not interchange. I assume that your cluster has dark spots showing up?

Use caution with used eBay units. They may have the same issue.

It's common on the '08 to '10's.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The cluster is the 'true keeper' of veh odometer and can only be programmed at the supplier/during refurbishment. Mileage cannot be programmed by the dealer.

If you go any other route for CCN replacement you may be in legal/ethical grey area, fwiw.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
586 Posts
Oh also the CCN supports VTSS/security...my point - they're not plug & play so not sure how you'd go about making an ebay unit work (excluding some type of aftermarket software I'm not familiar with...again, grey area).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
all the gauges work on mine its just the display underneath the spedo/tachometer has gone dark, cant see direction, odometer, etc. I have asked a few ebay guys and they can match my odometer readings. But i guess letting a certified dealer take care of the liability is maybe the best

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,523 Posts
How many miles on the car? Odometer mileage is ignored after 10 years and 100K miles here for purposes of registration etc. A mismatch won't get you in trouble in other words. But that's different for every state im sure, best to check yours for specifics.

If keeping specific mileage is not a factor, get a used one from a salvage yard. Car-part.com can find you one locally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles on the car? Odometer mileage is ignored after 10 years and 100K miles here for purposes of registration etc. A mismatch won't get you in trouble in other words. But that's different for every state im sure, best to check yours for specifics.

If keeping specific mileage is not a factor, get a used one from a salvage yard. Car-part.com can find you one locally.

I live in canada. Saskatchewan to be exact. And it has less than 50k miles

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,523 Posts
I live in canada. Saskatchewan to be exact. And it has less than 50k miles
50K huh...well it's clear the dash issue is not the only problem here. You need to drive that car more!! :wink3:

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,410 Posts
My cluster has been replaced six times. Two of them were bad right out of the box. All but the current one had black spots. The current one was installed because the fuel gauge would stop short of the full mark. The dealer tried to tell me it was bad senders, then a bad vent which required the tank to be replaced. I didn't care since it was warranty. Until I picked up the car and it wasn't fixed. I told them it's a bad cluster again. They agreed and that fixed it. Cost Dodge near $3,000 for an inept dealer!! Anywho I say all that to say this. Let the dealer install a new cluster. Technically it's the only legal way as the mileage is loaded into the new cluster then sent to the dealer. Get caught messing with the mileage becomes a federal issue. I was told $900 parts and labor if I had to pay it. That gets you a new cluster and a 12 month warranty. Just my humble $.02 worth.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts