Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me I need new tires. I can sort of agree, but figure maybe another 10K miles of driving - to be proactive. I don't let tires to go down to nothing. And I understand dealership's job is to make $$$. OEM replacement Firestone 20".

These tires are suppose to be 50K mile tires, correct? I'm at 29K. Never done a burnout, never driven on the track, no aggressive driving. DD in work traffic, mostly city.

Can someone confirm if my tire wear seem normal? Do OEM Firestones wear out faster than their advertised rating?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Most tires on new cars wear out faster than advertised. If they wear out prematurely then you can contact the tire manufacturer and get some kind of credit towards buying a new set as long as the wear is even. You’ll have to go to an authorized dealer of theirs and have them inspect them and send a report to the manufacturer. The credit is based on the wear. I’ve done that in the past and got half off of a new set of tires.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Most tires on new cars wear out faster than advertised. If they wear out prematurely then you can contact the tire manufacturer and get some kind of credit towards buying a new set as long as the wear is even. You’ll have to go to an authorized dealer of theirs and have them inspect them and send a report to the manufacturer. The credit is based on the wear. I’ve done that in the past and got half off of a new set of tires.
I concur. My Eagle F1 Supercar tires only lasted 13K. Even though they're a soft compound and no mileage guarantee, Goodyear gave me 50% off on a set of Eagle Sports with 50K guarantee. I wore them out at 40K and they gave me 20% off on another set of Eagle Sports.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Buy some decent tires from Tire Rack with a high Treadwear rating. If you don't drive over 80mph then you don't need Z rated tires.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
My dealer told me I need new tires. I can sort of agree, but figure maybe another 10K miles of driving - to be proactive. I don't let tires to go down to nothing. And I understand dealership's job is to make $$$. OEM replacment Firestone 20".

These tires are suppose to be 50K mile tires, correct? I'm at 29K. Never done a burnout, never driven on the track, no agressive driving. DD in work traffic, mostly city.

Can someone confirm if my tire wear seem normal? Do OEM Firestone wear out faster than their advertise rating?
I didn't realize we had twin cars! :grin2:

I'm at 23K miles with my Firestone's, and I don't see them making it to 30K. I have no real complaints about them except the premature wear. I take it easy on rainy days out of fear of hydroplaning now.

I'm looking at replacing my Firestone's with these from Tire Rack...They are highly rated on this forum.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...016&autoModel=Challenger&autoModClar=SXT Plus

·
Registered
202 Posts
2016 R/T Plus here with 21.5K on it. Also no burnouts or track done. I’m also getting to the point where if I give to much gas on a rainy day I can fishtail. I probably won’t go more than 5K more without getting new tires.

I’ve never bought a brand new car where the stock tires made it more than 30K, so I’m right about where I expected to be. I’m glad this community has been so good at listing different options for my future tire purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
My dealer told me I need new tires. I can sort of agree, but figure maybe another 10K miles of driving - to be proactive. I don't let tires to go down to nothing. And I understand dealership's job is to make $$$. OEM replacment Firestone 20".

These tires are suppose to be 50K mile tires, correct? I'm at 29K. Never done a burnout, never driven on the track, no agressive driving. DD in work traffic, mostly city.

Can someone confirm if my tire wear seem normal? Do OEM Firestone wear out faster than their advertise rating?
I suggest that you contact Firestone directly. They may honor the tire milage warranty (prorated, of course). Michelin did on my Jeep Grand Cherokee at 38k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm at 16k miles on my original set and I can tell I'll need new tires around the end of the year, probably around 20k.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cost cutting I suppose? Could they sell a $189 tire if they say it only last 30,000 miles?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cost cutting I suppose? Could they sell a $189 tire if they say it only last 30,000 miles?

I’m not sure how long my Atturo AZ850s will last but they’re under $140 per tire and thats with 275 40 R20 fronts and 315 35 R20 rears... Check Amazon for similar tires and prices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Driving conditions are going to be a factor in tire life.

If you're in city traffic, start / stop, numerous turns - you'll see greater tire wear.

If your commute is mostly highway / expressway at steady state conditions, longer tire life

·
Registered
110 Posts
22,000 miles on my 16 SRT. Put on 4 Mickey Thomson street Comp.s Extremely impressed at the level of performance.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Most tires on new cars wear out faster than advertised. If they wear out prematurely then you can contact the tire manufacturer and get some kind of credit towards buying a new set as long as the wear is even. You’ll have to go to an authorized dealer of theirs and have them inspect them and send a report to the manufacturer.
If your tires have uneven wear, you will have to prove that you rotated them and periodically had your front end aligned.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
If your tires have uneven wear, you will have to prove that you rotated them and periodically had your front end aligned.
Plus - most tire warranties require rotations no greater than every 6K miles. Read the "fine print", I've seen this for both Michelin and Goodyear.

Probably the "standard" for tire warranties across the brands - if they have a mileage warranty. Some models of tires don't.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My dealer told me I need new tires. I can sort of agree, but figure maybe another 10K miles of driving - to be proactive. I don't let tires to go down to nothing. And I understand dealership's job is to make $$$. OEM replacement Firestone 20".

These tires are suppose to be 50K mile tires, correct? I'm at 29K. Never done a burnout, never driven on the track, no aggressive driving. DD in work traffic, mostly city.

Can someone confirm if my tire wear seem normal? Do OEM Firestones wear out faster than their advertised rating?
Be thankful yours didn't come with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires mine did! I got a whopping 12K out of them....

Do yourself a favor, lay out the cash and mount some Continental DWS06's on there - one of the best decisions I've made for may Challenger thanks to the advice of Luke at Steve White Motors.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
776 Posts
22,000 miles on my 16 SRT. Put on 4 Mickey Thomson street Comp.s Extremely impressed at the level of performance.
Agree...I have them on my 2015...275/40-20's...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts