Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I know this topic has been talked to death, but I want some REAL testimonials from RT owners. I have been researching for months on end about doing a cam swap, read hundreds and hundreds of pages. Right now my list of perf mods is pretty short: CAI, straight pipe cat-back with X-pipe, and a DiabloSport with the preloaded 93 oct tune. I want to get some feedback from RT owners about what cam they decided to go with, what mods they have with it, and how much hp they netted. Hard numbers. I’m struggling to get over the price difference between an aftermarket like the 274 and the 392’s cam, being that I haven’t seen any REAL proof that the $800 ones produce any more hp or tq than the 392. I have a 2009 5.7 with M6. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Btw if I pull the trigger on the cam, I will be putting in LT’s at the same time. Any recommendations for those in combo with the cam would be greatly appreciated as well (even though I have a feeling most of you will say Kooks lol). I really want to get above the 400 rwhp mark... Also I’ve heard lots about this Johan fellow… what’s the skinny on him? (pricing, communication, etc.). Thanks guys!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would be more interested in track times than dyno numbers.The VVT cams are showing similar numbers on the dyno that the 392 are putting out,however all the track times and trap speeds that have been posted so far have been a big disappointment. High 12s low 13s and trap speeds of 106 to 109,no low 12s and 112 to 114 trap speeds like the 392s are running.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
See i would agree, but track times are really about driver and subjective imo... Especially with M6. I hit 13 flat with reg street tires on 18s, and thats only with CAI, exhaust and canned tune. I was running thru trap at 102, 103

·
Registered
109 Posts
See i would agree, but track times are really about driver and subjective imo... Especially with M6. I hit 13 flat with reg street tires on 18s, and thats only with CAI, exhaust and canned tune. I was running thru trap at 102, 103
Trap speed is a good indicator of horsepower.From what i have seen so far you would gain 2ths and 2mph at best with a cam swap.Not worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any RT owner out there have these numbers? would really love to see ANY proof of the hp increase

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id have a very hard time believing DA was the only factor that dropped the trap speed/time that much. Id put more money on dude doesnt know how to drive. CONSERVATIVELY the car maybe lost 55 hp, assuming a 3% loss in power per 1000 ft and that manufacturer spec were done at sea level. That still puts the car at 415 hp. At 415 hp he should be running much faster than 14.0xxx @ 100 mph....

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
I really want to get above the 400 rwhp mark... Also I’ve heard lots about this Johan fellow… what’s the skinny on him? (pricing, communication, etc.). Thanks guys!
Johan works at DiabloSport - his specialty is Chrysler vehicles.

He does tunes on his off time.

Quick turnaround and you email him logs that you use your DiabloSport tuner to download from.

I've used Johan - very pleased with him.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a good diff in his tunes vs canned tunes?

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Is there a good diff in his tunes vs canned tunes?
Yes - especially if you have mods...there's many layers in the coding that we don't touch with the canned tune adjustable parameters.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm. Ill keep that in mind, thanks.
Are these 274 cams rly making tht much more hp than the 392 cam? I saw a dyno vid for 274 claiming 108 rwhp gain... Granted it was above 6k but still.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So is the comp 274 the way to go?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts