Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at buying a 2015+ Scatpack Shaker. I've found two cars that seem to be priced decently on cars.com. Problem though is brand new base scatpacks are going for 34-36k and I found a left over 2019 base shaker scatpack for 37k.

Option 1: 2016 billet silver SP Shaker M6 and seems to be loaded. Price is $32,900 with 18,500 miles on it. Checked it out this am and looked clean minus a couple light scratches and paint dings at the edge of the door. 245 wide tires a bummer, but had nice 20"X9" rims. Sunroof, Alcantera seats, drivers convenience package, etc... I really liked the options. Silver not my first choice in color (would prefer indigo blue, B5, F8 green, and even black) but still sharp looking!

Option 2: 2017 Black T/A 392 M6 with 22k miles for $31,600. Looks like only options were alcantera seats. But rims and tire upgrade are included on the T/A amd they do look nice! Looks nice from pictures, but I will definitely miss the sunroof. Car is 380 miles from me, so trip to check it out in person is pushing it. Black looks mean especially on the T/A with the black satin hood and decals.

Option 3: 2020 SP Shaker with almost no options for $37k (after USAA discount). Color was black, but no dynamics package, sunroof, or other upgrades. There is something to be said about buying new though and having it be YOUR car.

So as you can see I'm kinda stuck with my decision and would love to hear your opinions on what you guys would do. If I could get the price down to 30k on one of the used cars, that would make my decision so much easier. But dealers are shockingly not budging on the price. I'll post some links so you can see the cars I'm thinking about.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you looked into the 50th anniversary Challenger? they have shaker models
I take it M6 is what ur looking for.
Have you looked at the car and seen what kinda shape they are in people beat on these too and unlike HC they sometimes do it too much.
I would make sure to inspect all the car over well. Black is absolutely beautiful . (if u can keep it clean) The T/A models are nice i like them they just different from other Scats.
From what im seeing you want black and seeing from these 3 options , option 2 seems to be what you may be looking for, but dont jump the gun keep looking and waiting dealers arent making too much money right now so you may be able to get the price lower even more. Best of luck in what you decide and welcome to the forum

Plus option 2 should still have warranty on it

·
Premium Member
9,210 Posts
With all the used Challengers out there I’d never drive 6+ hours to look at one. If it was a classic car, that’s a whole other story.
with this virus looming over us all, I’d take a deep breath and let the search continue. Depending on where you’re from not all dealerships are open, motor vehicles can be an issue as well. Here in NJ no car shows either so I have the car but nowhere to go with the car. The perfect car is out there and you’ll find it still but not have all those hours invested plus travel expenses. Put on your poker face and go negotiate.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
It sounds like you want a Shaker - and looking for used.

I'd keep looking since one is Billet Silver, not on your choice of colors and the other is Black, but low option content

Indigo and F8 Green would be '18+

B5 Blue would turn up as '15, '16 or '18/'19

Black turns up across all years and is a common color since nearly 40% are stocked by dealers in that color

Dynamics Pkg was option from '17+ - not that common due to the $2k option price

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you guys, patience is key right now. However, patience has never been a strong suit of mine haha! I'm just gonna let it simmer some more and keep looking. With the economy headed towards a terrible Q2 recession, I'm sure there will be some smokin deals around the corner. That silver one has been growing on me though the more I stew on it. Worst case scenario, I can always make a standing offer of 30k (3k off asking price) for the 2016 and leave the ball in thier court.

Would guys say 30-31k for the 2016 with 18k miles is a good price?

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
I agree with you guys, patience is key right now. However, patience has never been a strong suit of mine haha! I'm just gonna let it simmer some more and keep looking. With the economy headed towards a terrible Q2 recession, I'm sure there will be some smokin deals around the corner. That silver one has been growing on me though the more I stew on it. Worst case scenario, I can always make a standing offer of 30k (3k off asking price) for the 2016 and leave the ball in thier court.

I'd be skeptical they'd sell that low - that's about what trade in value was. The low miles adds ~ 10% to the value

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Money is cheap right now. Lower interest on a new car loan compared to used car rates might just even costs out over the life of your purchase. Do the math and see what pans out.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
From what I've seen recently, that would be a really good price, but at the same time a friend of mine picked up a loaded 2015 SP for much better than that. Not a Shaker, though.

Don't miss that option 2 comes with the 6 piston HC brakes. That's a big difference between all the other cars you listed.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Try the Build a Car option on the Dodge website, crank the distance search up to 200 miles. With the Power Dollars offer, and dealer discounts, I've seen them with $9000+ off. The site will have links to the dealer site, so you can check their prices on these new ones. Prices won't be as low as what you are finding used, but $9000 off a new 2020 would be a great deal. Maybe your USAA deal will drop that even more.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,429 Posts
First, get the vin of every one you are looking at, and find the MSRP/Window Sticker of it, you may be looking at 2 cars that seem similar and there could be over $10,000 difference in MSRP.
make a list, Excel, pencil and paper, list every car you look at.
Last summer, I got a 17K mile 2018 loaded Scat Pack SHAKER for about 2/3 the original MSRP on the sticker, and the deals got better after that since the new ones dropped in price by $4750 2-3 months later.
I got a very good deal at the time, and still am pleased, I also got a very good, over book price on my trade.
2017 Black T/A 392 M6 with 22k miles for $31,600. sounds decent but that is more miles, almost 2 years older, and depending on equipment a less priced car for a bit less than what I paid, get the vin, look up a Challenger on dodge site, click the window sticker, then paste the vin over the one in the url.
Also, very important, get the in-service date, that is what the warranty is based on. My 2015 Charger was in-service maybe April of 2016 so this time last year it was still under bumper-bumper.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at buying a 2015+ Scatpack Shaker. I've found two cars that seem to be priced decently on cars.com. Problem though is brand new base scatpacks are going for 34-36k and I found a left over 2019 base shaker scatpack for 37k.

Option 1: 2016 billet silver SP Shaker M6 and seems to be loaded. Price is $32,900 with 18,500 miles on it. Checked it out this am and looked clean minus a couple light scratches and paint dings at the edge of the door. 245 wide tires a bummer, but had nice 20"X9" rims. Sunroof, Alcantera seats, drivers convenience package, etc... I really liked the options. Silver not my first choice in color (would prefer indigo blue, B5, F8 green, and even black) but still sharp looking!

Option 2: 2017 Black T/A 392 M6 with 22k miles for $31,600. Looks like only options were alcantera seats. But rims and tire upgrade are included on the T/A amd they do look nice! Looks nice from pictures, but I will definitely miss the sunroof. Car is 380 miles from me, so trip to check it out in person is pushing it. Black looks mean especially on the T/A with the black satin hood and decals.

Option 3: 2020 SP Shaker with almost no options for $37k (after USAA discount). Color was black, but no dynamics package, sunroof, or other upgrades. There is something to be said about buying new though and having it be YOUR car.

So as you can see I'm kinda stuck with my decision and would love to hear your opinions on what you guys would do. If I could get the price down to 30k on one of the used cars, that would make my decision so much easier. But dealers are shockingly not budging on the price. I'll post some links so you can see the cars I'm thinking about.

Thanks!
Without taking the time to actually plug in the details of the cars you are considering into www.kbb.com and www.nada.com to see what their whole sale/trade in price is I would hazard a guess those prices are very optimistic.

Used cars are marked up quite a bit over what the dealer paid for the car. 20%, 25% maybe even a bit more is not uncommon.

For buying used cars my SOP is to research and learn as best I can what the whole sale/trade in price is as that is what the dealer has in the car, that and a $100 wash/wax/detail job.

Then it becomes a matter of if the car is in a condition that I could live with. My offer starts down around the whole sale/trade in value level. I put a cap on how high above this I'll go. The dealer, sales manager, will reject this initial offer of course. (You must be talking to a sales manager. The salesman will reject any offer you put in front of him other than one that has you offering to buy the car at its listed price. But the sales manager is open to lower offers.)

Before I make a higher offer I can (and have) stepped outside and made a phone call -- out of earshot of any dealer employee -- to a family member or friend -- but act like I'm discussing car prices. I have a list of alternative used cars in my hand and I refer to this.

You have to impress upon the dealer that if it fails to make a deal with you you have other cars and you will buy a car today when you get a deal you can accept. The idea is if the dealer sees you walk off the lot without his car he's lost a sale to another car seller.

Now, these alternative cars do not have to the same make/model/year you are considering at this dealer. They can be any car but in the same price range, comparable in options, and so on, but all lower in price in case the dealer asks to see your list.

You should have make/model/year and VIN and whole sale/trade in numbers written down. Have a phone number of the seller written down.

These alternative cars can be cars you would really be interested in owning or cars you would not be caught dead in. If the latter case the dealer doesn't have to know you wouldn't be caught dead in any of the alternative cars.

After some time I come back in the dealer and up my offer. Say my upper price is $1000 over the trade in value of the car, then I'll up my offer by $500. This will be rejected. My next offer is increased by $250. This shows the dealer he is not going to walk me up to his price in $500 increments.

The numbers above are for discussion. My last used car purchase the asking price was over $60,000. So my upper limit was more than $1000. And while I don't recall how much I upped my offer I still avoided upping my offer by the same amount the 2nd time. I managed to get the car for $57.7K.

You can of course come up with your own technique for buying a used car and I urge you do so one you are comfortable with. That is important. You have to be confident in your numbers, and your approach.

Bottom line is you don't start at the dealer's asking price and try to work him down, you start at what you believe the dealer has in the car and reluctantly let the dealer try to bring your offer up. But you have a limit and if that limit is reached and there's no sale then walk out the door. Slowly. I've had a sales manager come after me to accept my offer. (Not for a used car, though, for a new car, my Hellcat.)

In another case -- again a new car -- there was no sale. Sales manager said he'd have the car sold that weekend. Two weeks later I returned and the car was still on the lot. And had not budged. Had not even been accessed. Snow on the ground clearly showed no one had been at or in the car since I parked it after the test drive. I made my offer the 2nd time and the sales manager took it.

Yet another case and like the previous case there was no sale. I left wondering where I messed up my numbers. I had confidence my research was sound. Eating dinner it came to me I had forgotten to factor in the flooring cost. After dinner I returned and got a chance to view the build tag and learn how long the car had been on the dealer's lot: Figure one month after the car's build date. I calculated the several months' of flooring costs, upped my offer by that much, and the sales manager said "I'll take it."

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
88 Posts
Patience, patience, patience. This is uncharted waters with the economy and everything, so I would just wait. I would not make a big investment in these trying times. Your car is out there, don't settle for anything less than what you absolutely want. As was said, don't regret not getting the car you wanted.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
441 Posts
Appreciate all the helpful advice from everyone! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the right deal!

As others have said .... don't settle. It's too big of a purchase to not get exactly what you want.

First challenge is to decide what you really want. Color, Engine, Packages, etc.

If you're anywhere near North Florida, I'm happy to introduce you to a couple of dealers that are motivated to sell cars!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking for a scat pack myself right now and want a shaker but their availability is a bit harder to find, at least used. I'm sitting on my hands right now waiting to see how this virus thing plays out. I personally feel prices are going lower and financing will get even more attractive but that's just my opinion. I usually buy a few years used because I only keep my fun cars 3 years or less, and that way I don't take too big a hit on depreciation. I'm no Challenger expert, this will be my first, but seems like they are are basically the same car since 2015 refresh. Currently have my eye on 2017 scat pack, auto, leather, driver convenience, HK sound with 27k miles at $30,880.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,216 Posts
Unless you can get a low mileage used go new try going to dodge.com and build your own then hit search and they can pull up everything close of what you picked out.you probably have some wiggle room on the used money wise.i was gonna trade my car for a scat my car had a 44 k its 3yrs old with 8000 miles spotless and you know they put it out on the lot for at least 27-28 so when you see what they are putting these (the 44k was the window sticker)most of time they’re looking for sucker.now if you do go to any dealership tell them you wanna pay for this if they say no get up and leave they usually will be a little flexible....have you tried Cargurus that’s a good website

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I would give you guys a quick update on my car search. So I've been haggling with the dealer selling the 2016 Scatpack Shaker 6 speed with 18k miles on it. They have come down from $32880 to $31875. This helps make the decision a bit easier. After scouring the internet and facebook marketplace, I think the price is very fair for a loaded 2016 Scatpack Shaker with 18k miles on it.

The only other car I would prefer would be the 2018+ Scatpack Shaker in F8 green with the dynamics wheel package with red calipers. But now I'm looking at adding easily another $6k in price. As much as I like the f8 green color, the billet silver has grown on me. My first car was a silver 2002 mustang gt that I modified heavily and absolutely loved. Regretted selling it everyday afterwards so Silver does have a special place in my heart for nostalgia purposes.
New scatpack shakers are in the 40k plus range still with comparable options, so unfortunately that rules buying new out.

I'm thinking I'm gonna commit to it. Still has remainder of powertrain warranty so that's nice.

Here's a link to the car on cars.com. Good or bad decision to buy this one for $31,875?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/804613173/overview/

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts
@Luckymckay21
Did you pull the monroney from the car, as someone else suggested, to verify the exact equipment on this car?

The car looks good.....the wife has a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in Billet Silver. It’s a nice color...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts