Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine is building a 360 short block for his 1970 Dart street / strip car. With a 4 speed manual gearbox. I used to be into the 4 cylinder turbo dodge FWD cars a few years ago, but no more. He doesn't have much to work with and this is what he has so far. This will be an engine probably for this year only.

1973 360 short block, will be using stock crank, rods and pistons (yes, I know, not for high hp use).
850 double pump holley carb set up in a blow-through style.
Custom built headers holding twin turbos. T4 turbos (I forget the brand) with .69 A/R turbine housings and .60 compressors. He didn't give me any further details on the turbo specs. He said he got a good deal on them, from someone who had them on a Porsche.
Ported and polished 2.02/1.60 heads and single plane intake manifold.
He wants to put a solid lifter purple shaft 284 / 484 cam in this, which I think is too much. I thought he'd be better off using a stock 340 cam than this, but he only sees big lift numbers. He doesn't think about overlap, lobe separation, etc. Cam suggestions?

Currently it will not be intercooled. I have advised him on keeping the total spark advance down, any suggestions for maximum spark advance in this build? I've told him about using wideband O2 sensors to monitor air fuel ratio, keep the air fuel ratio under 13 to 1 while boosting, watch the spark plugs, jet his secondaries on the rich side, etc.

I think the .69 A/R turbines are too big, .48 or .63 would probably spool up the turbos better without killing the top end. Remember, this is a twin turbo build.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Sounds like he's got a mish-mash going on. The .69AR doesn't tell the whole story on the turbos and all things considered, sounds like the least of his worries right now. Maybe it will work ok, but it sounds like the parts selection was done at random, not with a goal in mind. If he wants to make about 500 unreliable horsepower, he's headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I recommend going over theturboforums there is a lot of valuable information on that site. They are very helpful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts