Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just happened to go over to the delaership, not planned, but they said they'd have a New SE coming this past week...so yesterday I stopped by and It was delivered Friday night.....there she is a brand new 2011 Challenger SE with all the bells and whistles I wanted and what you guys recommended......the deal is EXCELLENT. Yes I was able to take it for a spin.

This is a Ralley with the Super Sport Group SST/ 20 inch wheels and the Rear end is a 3.06. Here 's what I want to know...is this set up a gas hog?

We really like the suspension.....and she hugs the winding roads....but I thought the gas gauge moved down after 10 miles...my wife said I'm nuts as she thinks its a brand new car from the factory so the gauges just needed to settle in once I started driving...possibly.

I'm sort of torn but a guy that works for Dodge I know, said don't buy a car with the 8 speed transmission out for the first year or so, as the 5sp is proven. I've had experience with 5 sp Getrags and admit they were very delicate and don't take a lot of abuse.....and expensive as hell to fix. In the thousands......I really don't trust them from experience. Heck these are in Mercedes and we all know about these cars and repairs "Don't own one after the warranty is up!"

Could you give me your expertise on this set up and will this car really get 18 city 27 Hgwy I'm pretty sure this was on the sticker. Thank you pick up is supposed to be today.....haven't slept a wink. Thank you again.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sorry, but you should not buy a performance car if you are worried about gas mileage. When people ask me what kind of mileage I get, I reply...."One doesn't buy a 425HP car and worries about gas mileage."

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
He's buying a SE; maybe some consider it a performance car but it's a V6- - and I believe it gets better mileage than the old V6.

To the OP, if repairs are a concern, you can buy an extended warranty. You have until 12K miles or 1 year, and even the cheapest policy covers the transmission and drive train. Just don't buy it from the dealer when you buy the car. You'll be raped.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue you missed my question...I was wondering if the 3.06 rear would chew up gas but before posting this I found another Challenger site after doing a search for the rear and they explained it all to another guy who posted the same question.

This gearing option is specific to the SE in 5sp auto with SST so it's a tall 5th gear so mileage etc is good to go......as what the sticker shows. I'm pretty light on the pedal.......Blue next time you see gas prices at $4.50 plus, there is a direct relationship and correlation to how Challengers/Mustangs and Camaro's you see in the used car lots.

But I do understand the fun you can have with a V6 or the V8's.

Insurnace, yes to the guy above very sensitive to it. My insurance company offers a repair plan 100k/7 years front to back for peanuts. I appreciate your .02 cents you dead on to the topic.

I'm in MD, tickets and thus a huge jump in Insurance rates.....so HP etc not my thing been there and done that and had a great time. Lets be real....these cars are magnets, everyone turns to look and/or give a thumbs up add in sprints and well red lights can see a vcar like this a mile away every time...ok maybe not. Funny. :)

This is strictly for re-birthing my inner youth. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats. I think you will be very happy together. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Grats Sam, post some pix. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Could you give me your expertise on this set up and will this car really get 18 city 27 Hgwy I'm pretty sure this was on the sticker. Thank you pick up is supposed to be today.....haven't slept a wink. Thank you again.

Congratulations on the purchase!

As for future purveyors of this thread, 18 city and 27 highway is exactly what my wife is getting in her 2011 SE Rallye.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Blue you missed my question...I was wondering if the 3.06 rear would chew up gas but before posting this I found another Challenger site after doing a search for the rear and they explained it all to another guy who posted the same question.

This gearing option is specific to the SE in 5sp auto with SST so it's a tall 5th gear so mileage etc is good to go......as what the sticker shows. I'm pretty light on the pedal.......Blue next time you see gas prices at $4.50 plus, there is a direct relationship and correlation to how Challengers/Mustangs and Camaro's you see in the used car lots.
Okay gotcha. BTW, I agree, some people do have to worry about gas prices.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks done deal...love it already !!!
Man, that was a fast (and good) decision! The S/E is a great car. I could eak out 28 with mine with a 4 speed transmission so you should be good to go!

Congrats!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts