Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been thinking about making this post for a few days but I've been embarrassed to ask for this advice. Listening to the rest of the guys here talk about what they are paying for their IE 392 I think in my zeal to get my hands on an IE 392 I may have overpayed for mine. I'd rather not say what I payed, but it was over MSRP. My car isn't delivered yet, it is currently stuck at ground effects. I've found a dealership within driving distance that is getting an IE 392 with the exact same specs in the next few days.

So my question for you all is - would it be shady for me to cancel my order and buy the car from the other dealership. Second, is it even possible for me to do that? I put down a really big down payment, and even traded in my current car, and signed all of the paperwork at the dealership. But they had me keep my current car until the IE arrives, and they haven't done the payoff on my current car yet. Is it too late for me to back out, and would it be shady for me to do so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has worked at a dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Ok so I've been thinking about making this post for a few days but I've been embarrassed to ask for this advice. Listening to the rest of the guys here talk about what they are paying for their IE 392 I think in my zeal to get my hands on an IE 392 I may have overpayed for mine. I'd rather not say what I payed, but it was over MSRP. My car isn't delivered yet, it is currently stuck at ground effects. I've found a dealership within driving distance that is getting an IE 392 with the exact same specs in the next few days.

So my question for you all is - would it be shady for me to cancel my order and buy the car from the other dealership. Second, is it even possible for me to do that? I put down a really big down payment, and even traded in my current car, and signed all of the paperwork at the dealership. But they had me keep my current car until the IE arrives, and they haven't done the payoff on my current car yet. Is it too late for me to back out, and would it be shady for me to do so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has worked at a dealership.
My dealer said my order was completely refundable... You could call, tell them you want to cancel, they ask why? Tell em you found one cheaper. They'll either give you a better deal or have to refund your money...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,879 Posts
Cancel the order. The dealer will always make their money, so don't worry about cancelling. You have to look after yourself. Call them and tell them you found the exact same car for cheaper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you all thing it wouldn't be shady for me to go elsewhere, but CAN I still back out? Once I've signed all that loan paperwork, trade in paperwork, etc?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,159 Posts
Call them and tell them you found one cheaper and you want your deposit back.

If they say no, tell them your attorney will be calling them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,380 Posts
id feel shady

id probably still do it though to get the price down....ill bet they will deal and bring the price down rather than lose the sale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
You made a deal, signed the papers, so stick to it. How would you feel if the situation were reversed, and they called you and said they were cancelling the deal because they found a buyer that would pay more money?

In the future, never sign any papers until the car arrives and it meets your satisfaction. If the dealer insists that you do, find a different dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
So you all thing it wouldn't be shady for me to go elsewhere, but CAN I still back out? Once I've signed all that loan paperwork, trade in paperwork, etc?
Stuff like this is just normal business. The dealership wants to make the most profit and the buyer wants to pay the least. I'd stalk to the dealer you ordered your car from and tell them you found one at a lower price. If they'll match it you'll continue your order.

I did that and had mine knocked down to MSRP. Most dealerships around here are looking to charge over MSRP for the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Definitely call them and give them the chance to match or beat the original deal, not to get into a bidding war but at least have give them the opportunity to not lose a sale. If they won't match it, tell them you gave them a chance and that you would like a refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,380 Posts
ive had customers try to renegotiate the contract after the work is complete...i feel these customers are the biggest low lifes and i refuse to work with them when they call on future jobs...of course i never lower my prices....

your situation is a bit different because the deal is not done and only partially started....you could offer them $250 to end it...that way its win,win....

why did you go over sticker to begin with?, sounds like 50% got sticker and 50% got under sticker....not many paid over sticker from what ive read?

it never hurts to ask the dealer....tell them you found one locally $1000 under sticker and want them to match...they are still making $1,500+ for 1 hours work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive had customers try to renegotiate the contract after the work is complete...i feel these customers are the biggest low lifes and i refuse to work with them when they call on future jobs...of course i never lower my prices....

your situation is a bit different because the deal is not done and only partially started....you could offer them $250 to end it...that way its win,win....

why did you go over sticker to begin with?, sounds like 50% got sticker and 50% got under sticker....not many paid over sticker from what ive read?

it never hurts to ask the dealer....tell them you found one locally $1000 under sticker and want them to match...they are still making $1,500+ for 1 hours work
Well I hadn't found these forums before I ordered the car. And all I could find on the internet before I found these forums was info going all the way back to November 2010 saying "OMG, if you want one of these limited edition cars you better order it NOW." So when I found one with all of the options that I wanted, AND it was already built and at the ground effects shop, I agreed to a deal that was over MSRP. Then the next day I found these forums, and found that everyone else either paid sticker or less. So since then I've been feeling that I overpaid.

Huggytree, do you own a dealership? Is it even possible for me to walk away from the deal at this point? I would be happy to let them match the deal from the other dealer, or even come close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
I don't know how many thousands you are talking about, but if it were me, I'd at least attempt to either back out or renigotiate. I wouldn't give a flying flip who thought it was shady. If it were me, that'd be my monthly payment for however many years..

Now, if those that thought I'm a shady low life person wants to pay the difference in my bills then so be it. I'll keep the original deal. However, I hardly think that'll happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
If you only put a deposit down the dealership has to refund you if you cancel the order. This is what I was told from one of the sales managers I spoke with prior to placing my order.

Also since I placed my deposit down prior any pricing being released I made it clear that I may back out if I couldn't afford it. But also agreed that I needed to notify them within 24hrs of the car's arrival if I was commited to buying it.

As I mentioned earlier I had a pice of 2k over MSRP. Another dealership finally got back to me a month later that they were getting one and it was at MSRP. I notified my dealer and gave them a chance to match or I walk and they came down to match MSRP. I made sure everything was in writing. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
People order and cancel out all the time. I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself. I'd try to work a deal first, but in the end, they will sell it, and it's not a big deal, in reality.

My 09 R/T I bought had someone else's name on the sticker.. Built for "name". It came into the dealership Friday night, and I test drove it Sat AM. It hadn't even been cleaned up yet. Unbdoutedly it was someone who cancelled the order, or they decided to sell it to me instead of the other guy. I paid $1500 under MSRP at the time, so it wasn't the fact they got a bunch more money from me.

Do you think for one minute that the dealership wouldn't try to add cost if for whatever reason, their cost went up? You damn right they would try.. might not be successful, but they'd try.

You should have some paperwork that talks abouit your options... what the penalties are, if any, for cancellation etc...Review that and then go from there.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Read the document you signed. It may states that they must deliver the car within 120 days. When did you order the car? I know it hasnt been deliverd yet.

That happen to me when ordering a camaro z-28. After 3 months I got tired of waiting. Asked for my deposit back and sales rep said lets wait till the car comes in.

After 6 months the dealer called me to tell me my car was in!! I pulled up in my new T/A I boought 2 months earlier. Told them I didnt need or want the car anymore and got my deposit back. They didnt give me a hard time.

No harm in asking them to drop the price.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top