Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

In the next few weeks, I will be going to a local 1/8 mi track. I have never really drag raced before but have been to a few in my short life. I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get some help on. I drive a 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus (automatic). I run street tires (the ones that came with it from the factory), so I assume I won't really need to do a burnout since they do not have the same setup/ requirements compared to slicks. One of my biggest questions is what would be an ideal launching RPM? I've been reading a bit into this and have seen some people say that I don't need to have it to anything, have it at 1,200-1,500; some say to use launch control, some say to not use it. Some say don't use traction control, some say use it. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
I have not taken my 392 to the track yet, it is by far the most powerful car I have owned. Other stuff that could break loose the tires as well, I feel that if going for fun and just to see, best bet is left foot brake, right foot med throttle to load up the converter a bit, and roll on the power trying to feather it on the edge of breaking loose, then after 2nd hits, full throttle. Then, based on how that goes, decide if you want to try with traction control in sport, or fully off.
If you want, set the launch rpm to something low, maybe starting at the lowest (1300?) and work your way up if you have enough runs.
If you don't plan on doing a smoky burnout, drive around the water box. No point wetting up the tires and launching on wet.
Personally, when I do go, I would put traction control in Sport (just to help if it goes too wild) at first, drive around the water box, back up a bit and do a mild rolling burnout just to clean off the tires. Then launch manually. If you pull a good time, you can say YOU drove it. If it is hard to control the spinning, 2nd try go launch control at the lowest, just to see.

Reactions: A Ferb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!

In the next few weeks, I will be going to a local 1/8 mi track. I have never really drag raced before but have been to a few in my short life. I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get some help on. I drive a 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus (automatic). I run street tires (the ones that came with it from the factory), so I assume I won't really need to do a burnout since they do not have the same setup/ requirements compared to slicks. One of my biggest questions is what would be an ideal launching RPM? I've been reading a bit into this and have seen some people say that I don't need to have it to anything, have it at 1,200-1,500; some say to use launch control, some say to not use it. Some say don't use traction control, some say use it. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 978889
So I’ve been a few times myself, I have a 14 R/T A5. My technique that gets me the best time is brakestand at about 1500-2000 rpm, have it in sport with T/c off (you’re not gonna spin much t the track in a stock R/T you aren’t making enough power for that), and let go off the gas and floor it as soon as you see that 3rd yellow light up. Use your paddles it gives you more control over your shift points, the car shifts too early by itself.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Ya what they said except even with street tires, do a burnout anyway, that will clear off gravel, sand etc from the tires. I launch with the minimum level of TC on, in sport mode. Until I get a limited slip diff, then it will be with TC fully off. On my 13 RT, that takes a mod to get full TC off.
So far, my RT has a best of 12.238 at 114 mph on a 1/4 track. I did not record what the 1/8 speed was.
Unless you are racing for money, just relax and have a good time. The first time or two will feel a little strange but once you know what to expect, it gets better!
Have fun!

Reactions: A Ferb

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would advise NOT doing a burnout on street tires. The rubber compound becomes slick and is not meant for racing. Drive around the water box, back up just a little and spin em over just a bit to clean the tires. Run about 22 psi, do not use launch control (you will fry the tires), foot brake about 1200 rpm, keep your eye on the last yellow only......as soon as it lights LEAVE! Leave it in Auto, give her about 1/3rd throttle and then progressively and quickly step into it to reach full throttle.

There are 2 exit points on my Track. One fairly close to the finish line......another one at the end of the track. Most people stand on the brakes to get the first exit. I do not. I coast for a bit and then slowly apply the brakes and catch the last exit. No sense frying my brakes for the first exit. And most importantly.....HAVE FUN!!!

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
I would advise NOT doing a burnout on street tires. The rubber compound becomes slick and is not meant for racing. Drive around the water box, back up just a little and spin em over just a bit to clean the tires. Run about 22 psi, do not use launch control (you will fry the tires), foot brake about 1200 rpm, keep your eye on the last yellow only......as soon as it lights LEAVE! Leave it in Auto, give her about 1/3rd throttle and then progressively and quickly step into it to reach full throttle.

There are 2 exit points on my Track. One fairly close to the finish line......another one at the end of the track. Most people stand on the brakes to get the first exit. I do not. I coast for a bit and then slowly apply the brakes and catch the last exit. No sense frying my brakes for the first exit. And most importantly.....HAVE FUN!!!
Ya good catch there, I had not intended it to be a full, tire frying, smoke cloud making burnout but rather as you said, spin the tires to clean them.
I doubt that with a stock car, he will need to baby it out of first gear. Granted I am using drag radials but a launch as hard as the car can go will not slip the tires even a little. Our track is well preped though so... try and see.
The most important thing we both can agree on is .. HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,272 Posts
I have the same set up I have one foot on the brake and one on the gas @ 1200 1300 rpm and soon as the last yellow light let your foot off the brake you have to practice the launch thing if i wait for the tree turn green and hammer the gas it wheel hops

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a suggestion for your first trip to the track, do not even worry about trying to get a good reaction time. once the light goes green only concentrate on your launch, how fast can you get to full throttle without spinning. literally count out loud when you take off, thousand 1 thousand 2, etc. your 1/8 or 1/4 time has absolutely nothing to do with how long it takes you to leave, the timer starts when the front tires stop blocking the beam that lights up the second yellow light. rear tires around 24 psi cold, front to 45-48 cold, it will rise 3-4 psi warmed up.go around water box and wait till they tell you to stag and floor it then let up right away to clean tires as you pull up to stage. if your first to stage (top yellow light) wait for other driver to light his top light (pre-stage) then ease forward till second light is on (staged) once both lanes top 2 yellow light are lit, hold brake firmly with left foot and only give it enough gas to put a load on the engine/tranny 1000-1200 RPM. The thing to remember is to forget about the reaction time untill you know how hard you can launch or you will spin them every time trying to get a great reaction time. have a blast and save up for drag radials, this Sunday will be my first with MT ET street R 305-45-r18 , i have a stock 2019 scat pack ( almost stock, hellcat cai and mids deleted and i run from a 12.199 at 117 to a 12.570 at 115 with stock 275-35-r20 stock p-zero's. have fun

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
Avoid the water box on street tires. With street tires, the best thing to do is to pull around the water box and just do a dry burnout. Some tracks hose down an area of the track that you must pull through. If this is the case, just slowly drive through the water into the dry area and do your burnout. You do not want water to collect between the treads.

Do a short burnout. Put your left foot on the brake, bring the revs up to about 3,000 RPM and gradually release the brake until the wheels start to spin. Apply more throttle and fully release the brake. You should usually do a 2-3 second burnout, just enough to create a “haze” of smoke. Don’t create a giant cloud of smoke. It will not be of any benefit if you are using street tires. The compound they put on the track is much more sticky than the burnt rubber from your street tires.

It’s a bit tricky to extract every 1/100th of a second from these big, heavy cars during launch. Put your left foot on the brake and bring the revs quickly up to about 1,200 RPM. Do not stand on the throttle for more than a second. Bring the revs up right before you go. Release the brake and roll the throttle to the floor in one quick, steady motion. It should take about 1.5 seconds to roll it completely to the floor from the time you release the brake. You can’t just punch it to the floor. You have to be a little bit patient when launching on street tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the help with all of this. My apologizes for the late reply, college has been insane! Anyways, I have used the advice you all have given at the strip and have had an amazing time. The best time I've had thus far was about an 8.8 in the 1/8 mi at about 82ish. I'm going to continue working on it when I can and the strip is open again. Thank you again!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Good Saying. My mind is just colsed to you Agree!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts