Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in love with FF since its debut last February. About a week ago I found one at a dealership about 60 miles away from me. It is a 2010 (obviously) R/T with the 28M preferred package, electronic convenience group, sound group 2 and 730N media center. Sticker price is $38,500 and the dealership is asking $34,000. I start looking around the vehicle and there are numerous scratches (from my brief look there were 4 issues in the FF paint, and one of the white stripes is “chipped” in 2 places), it is FILTHY (i.e. didn’t appear as if they had washed it since they got it in September) and car does have 500+ miles on it. All issues that I can address or deal with and hadn’t even mentioned to the dealership.

At the dealership I was treated HORRIBLY. One of the many issues… Asked that they give me a price on the vehicle with a 7 year warranty included and was informed, unequivocally, that they were not able to do anything with the price as they were already taking a loss on the vehicle. Hadn’t even gotten to negotiating! The whole encounter was so offensive and frustrating that before I said anything that was hurtful or inappropriate I left. After evaluating the situation for a day now I really think that they saw a younger woman, alone, and really thought that bullying me would get exactly what they wanted.

So, my questions are as follows:
* What is “fair” in regards to a 2010 vehicle in regards to price? Per the dealership they are going to be getting 2012’s in within the month so that means the vehicle is 2 “model years” old.
*Does anyone know if a 2010 FF R/T in Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania or Ohio that is for sale at a decent and has some common sense?

I would appreciate any feedback that I can get. I would really really like to have a Challenger, but I surely don’t “need” it, and I surely don’t want to work with a dealership that is so offensive.

TIA!

·
Registered
220 Posts
$34K is too much for a used RT (even if it was never titled, 500 miles is a lot). I paid $38.5K for my SRT with 9 miles on it last fall. FF is a blessing and a curse as most people will not consider the car because of it, but some dealers consider it gold due to its low production.

You need to negotiate from a distance if you are interested. Contact the internet sales dept and negotiate via email. Once you settle on a price you find acceptable (if possible), schedule a pick up date and mention that you are very meticulous about your car's condition and appearance. When you pick it up you will go over every inch in detail and take a drive before signing the papers. That should motivate them to remedy the obvious issues that you already identified (don't mention that you have already seen issues) and you can check for them when you go for pick up.

I bought my car sight unseen from a dealer 1K+ miles away. I did not see her until the truck delivered her to me and she was in fine shape.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Contact their fleet sales department. I buy all my cars this way. You can fully spec out the options on edmunds, or it looks like you've got it squared away as it is. Then e-mail or fax to 4 or 5 dealers fleet sales department and say your looking to purchase immediately and what is their best price.
Fleet sales guys don't work on commision so you pay X over invoice - no bs. I've gotten $100 to $500 over invoice. I can send you a copy of one of my letters if you like.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah agree with everyone price is high, but I have had bad experiences with dealerships also if I dont like the way they are treating me I go to the next one. Been to at least 10 dealerships before I bought mine. Some of them more than once.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I will guarantee you one thing. When you go to buy a FF, you're going to hear how rare they are. When the day comes you go to trade it, you're going to hear how not many people will want it.

That's dealerships at their best.

·
Registered
834 Posts
There's a nice R/T FF with nav, white leather, and super trak pack up on ebay by a Florida dealer. You should give them a call or send an email
Has 73 miles.

Dodge : Challenger | eBay

As I see it, by now the collectors have scooped up wanted FF's and what are left are ones that aren't necessarily sellable. They are 2010's, and 2011's have improvements that make 2010's less desirable to a buyer. The dealer has everything they have not in incentives, hold back, and so on, and have been eating the floor plan on this leftover car. They have a strong incentive to move it out of inventory, especially since 2012's aren't that far off.

They should be very willing to negotiate, and you are right, doing it out on the showroom floor in casual conversation is not the best way to do this. You should offer them a firm deal, invoice being the ceiling. Tell them they must repair all cosmettic damage to the car prior to delivery and get that written on the buyer's order. Be strong, not rude, and be ready to walk. There are other cars out there, ones where the dealer will appreciate your business.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Avoid this dealership. They obviously have an idea that FF is rare, judging by the price. Yet they have taken absolutely no pains to keep it nice and they've let anyone and everyone drive it. I bet if you look closer, you'll see damaged paint from acid rain, bird droppings, etc. Let's face it, the car has sat outside and been neglected for 9 months. There is a lot of potential downside to the paint, some of which may be irreparable.

There are 3 on eBay right now. Check them out and see if you can make a deal.

·
Registered
411 Posts
there was a dealer in Georgia on E Bay that had a buy it now price of 28.3 k or a 40k FF R/T. I called and confirmed it was legit but just could not bring my self to own the thing. It sat for almost 2 weeks before someone scored it for 12k off sticker.

I would not touch a 2010 FF for anything less than 9k off MSRP or more. Maybe 20 years from now they will be a collectors item but for now it would end up being a fairly undesirable 2 year old used car in a tight market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I did look at eBay and see that there is one about 3 hours away from me. I am going to completely try and do this via email to save everyone some time. I really do thank you all for the guidance! Now, to just get me a FF!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Avoid this dealership. They obviously have an idea that FF is rare, judging by the price. Yet they have taken absolutely no pains to keep it nice and they've let anyone and everyone drive it. I bet if you look closer, you'll see damaged paint from acid rain, bird droppings, etc. Let's face it, the car has sat outside and been neglected for 9 months. There is a lot of potential downside to the paint, some of which may be irreparable.

There are 3 on eBay right now. Check them out and see if you can make a deal.
Agree = Avoid this Dealer & Car if possible, in addition to Jon's concerns this car has likely been flogged to death by Dealer-Monkeys & Tire-Kickers all during it's early-life break-in period.:disgust:​

1 - 13 of 13 Posts