Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so first of all I am new to the forum so bare with me. I'm headed to Korea for a year in just over a month. My 09 Challenger R/T 6 speed will be garaged for the duration seeing as how I can't take it with me. My current mods are Arrington Performance CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, ported throttle body, and Diablo Intune. Now with this being said, while I'm gone I will buying some parts for it. First i'm getting the JBA long tube titanium ceramic coated headers, yes I know all about Kooks, American Racing, Dynatech, Borla, and SLP, and im set on that. Now here is where it gets tricky, for me anyway. I plan on getting an off-road H-pipe but have had no luck finding one anywhere online. Anyone have any personal info with off road H-pipes and will I need to get a shop fabricate one? Next, I plan on swapping my flowmaster catback for the stock srt8 (6 speed) exhaust then adding DMH electric cutouts and dyno tuning. Will it matter if it is tuned with the cutouts open or closed? Lastly, i'm thinking of adding a srt intake manifold. Are there any gains with this and is it worth the money? Any help is greatful! (TIA)

·
Banned
946 Posts
Which SRT intake are you thinking of installing? 6.1 or 6.4? As far as the tune goes, that will need to be checked with the tuner, I'm guessing tune for which ever produces the most power gain or gain period. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Here is some information from Cuda340's post regarding parts swapping from the Oct SRT chat session. It gives an idea of what parts will swap over to a 5.7L and some specifics to intake manifold changes.

SRT392 intake, pushrods, valves and springs fit the 5.7 HEMI? Will Challenger SRT392 suspension fit a Charger LD?

Some 6.4L engine components will swap with a comparable 5.7L. Valve covers, rocker shaft assemblies and pushrods will swap. Valves and springs are specific to each application as well as the valve seats and machining. The intake flange and bolt holes will allow a 6.4L intake on a 5.7L but your port openings are different. The 6.4L SRV valve in the intake will need a proper calibration as well.

It depends on what you are trying to do. Steady state high rpm packages can tolerate bigger ports and larger intake plenums that wouldn't work as well during transients of daily driving. The stock 6.1L head is a good piece and a lot of those features were carried over into the 6.4L head. Since you use your car for both street and strip you should watch your balance of port size / cam profile / plenum volume versus driveability. Mopar has ported 6.1L heads that will pick up air flow without killing driveability. Regarding displacement, the simple answer is more displacement needs more airflow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks great info. Initially I was thinkin about the 6.1 intake but after hearin about all the heat soak im not so sure. Is it worth the money and are the gains noticeable? My goal is 600 rwhp. It will be a few years before it happens but its a work in progress. Any other suggestions would be great! Should I spend the money elsewhere? TIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts