Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for some non-challenger assistance from my fellow Talk members north of the boarder.

I am planning a motorcycle road trip for the third week in July that will take me and some friends on a tour of the Great Lakes starting in New Jersey and ending at a rally in Madison Wisconsin. Tentative plans are to go to Niagara Falls for the first night, then head up between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron the second day. Not sure whether the second night will be before the ferry in Tobermory at Fathom Five National Park or after the ferry in South Baymouth. Night three will be somewhere around the Mackinaw Bridge which will put us in Madison by the forth night.

Although I have been to 34 of the 50 states, I have not traveled to Canada except for some business trips to Toronto and Ottawa. I would appreciate any in-sight or suggestions as to things to see, or avoid in these parts of Canada.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Hi Don, a few places in Ontario come to mind for your road trip besides Niagara Falls, based on taking the QEW to Hamilton and up Hwy 6 to Tobermory.

1. Butterfly conservatory - Niagara Falls
2. Niagara-on-the-Lake - Niagara-on-the-Lake: Home
3. Wineries along the QEW
4. Royal Botanical Gardens - Hamilton Royal Botanical Gardens - Home
5. St. Jacobs, also home of the Farmers Market - St. Jacobs Country
6. Collingwood (45 minutes east of Hwy 6)- Blue Mountain, caves
Scenic Caves, Suspension Bridge, Outdoor Adventures, Zip Cable Gliding, Cross Country Skiing,
Blue Mountain Ski Resort, Ontario, Canada
Collingwood Now: For All You Need To Know About Collingwood Ontario Canada
7. Owen Sound - Owen Sound Ontario Canada
8. Lions Head (near Wiarton) Lion's Head - Welcome to Lion's Head on the Bruce Peninsula

I hope this helps. If you want more information on any of these places, let me know and I'll send what I can.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi Don, a few places in Ontario come to mind for your road trip besides Niagara Falls, based on taking the QEW to Hamilton and up Hwy 6 to Tobermory.

1. Butterfly conservatory - Niagara Falls
2. Niagara-on-the-Lake - Niagara-on-the-Lake: Home
3. Wineries along the QEW
4. Royal Botanical Gardens - Hamilton Royal Botanical Gardens - Home
5. St. Jacobs, also home of the Farmers Market - St. Jacobs Country
6. Collingwood (45 minutes east of Hwy 6)- Blue Mountain, caves
Scenic Caves, Suspension Bridge, Outdoor Adventures, Zip Cable Gliding, Cross Country Skiing,
Blue Mountain Ski Resort, Ontario, Canada
Collingwood Now: For All You Need To Know About Collingwood Ontario Canada
7. Owen Sound - Owen Sound Ontario Canada
8. Lions Head (near Wiarton) Lion's Head - Welcome to Lion's Head on the Bruce Peninsula

I hope this helps. If you want more information on any of these places, let me know and I'll send what I can.
Val , no one can come to Canada and not see the Rockies ! LOL !

·
Registered
526 Posts
While in Owen Sound head east along hwy #26 it follows the shores of the bay ,take it to Wasaga Beach [worlds largest fresh water beach] then depending on your time take "Tiny Beach Rd " it follows all the beaches along the bay awesum awesome drive:thumbsup: nowhere else like it in Canada.
What Ontario has to offer is the thousand upon thousands of natural lakes and rivers
Blue MTN with Ridge Runner rail coster flys down the escarpment at the speed you control on a 2 seat cart through the trees 15 ft off the ground its a blast! tip get there in the early morning before famlys get their and you can just jet down this ride

·
Registered
472 Posts
CN Tower in Toronto is pretty cool.

Val mentioned the Royal Botannical Gardens....its right close to McMaster University and if you are timing it right, you may be here during the "Open Hamilton" event where numerous places, including McMaster, open their doors and let you see inside some of the cooler nooks and crannies. I know during last year's tour of Mac, people were allowed inside the Nuclear Reactor and given a tour of the Open Pool Reactor (where 1/3 of the world's isotopes are created). Mac will also be hosting a professional Lacrosse Team here during the summer months, so you may also be able to check out a game.

Also, if you wanted to hook up with some of your Canadian Chally owners, there is a huge group of us from the Hamilton/Burlington/Niagara/Waterloo area who would be more than willing to welcome you to a cruise.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You should probably try to avoid anything that begins with Royal... Royal Mounted Police for instance.... Royal Tavern (I dare anyone from Alberta to name the town where that one's located) etc.Good luck, sounds like an awesome road trip!

Growing up in Alberta, the Rockies are impressive, but they're just a backyard. Move away and you'll miss them dearly, funny that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After you cross on the ferry you will be on Manitoulin Island. It is the largest fresh water island in the world. A very special place, no chain stores, big hotels or fastfood restaurants. Look for a motel or bread and breakfast. Other than ferry only way onto The Island as locals call it is a single lane swing bridge at Little Current. It is a very slow and enjoyable place enjoy.

·
Banned
368 Posts
lot of good suggestions, but...BUT do not forget to have a passport, or proper credentials. a licence and birth certificate does not cut it anymore

·
Registered
526 Posts
After you cross on the ferry you will be on Manitoulin Island. It is the largest fresh water island in the world. A very special place, no chain stores, big hotels or fastfood restaurants. Look for a motel or bread and breakfast. Other than ferry only way onto The Island as locals call it is a single lane swing bridge at Little Current. It is a very slow and enjoyable place enjoy.
My brother and his wife have a place on Manitoulin,its more than worth while to spend some time their,its the real deal when it comes to the outdoors.the fishing youll get spoiled small mouth bass in particular:thumbsup:
Bring your fishing gear and buy a Ontario fishing lic its a must in that neck of the woods.
Dont forget the Big Goose in Wawa,and this is for any Canadian or American visiting central or northern Ontario and IMO the greatest Canadian the Terry Fox memorial in North Bay :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Northern Ontario

You will not start to experience the real Canada until you are well north of Toronto_Once you take that Ferry from Tobermory at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula and land at South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island the Canadian north will truely start to show it's presence.From South Bay you will take Hwy 6 north where it will end as it joins with the Trans Canada Hwy 17,...hook a left and you are on your way to the true north.The terrain will start off with some mild hilly areas and get increasingly steep as you near the hub of the Great Lake at Sault Ste Marie.If you were to continue on the Canadian side around Lake Superior the terrain is extremely steep in some areas and in comparison the US side of Lake Superior is relatively flat.

If travelling near nightfall be extremely cautious of deer,moose and bear along the roadway.I have travelled this route over a dozen times and have always had some animal cross the Hwy in front of me somewhere along the way,...hit a deer once but lucked out as there was only quarter panel damage.Bugs usually get thick at nightfall as well.

When you cross back into the US and are heading south on I-75 towards St.Ignace,MI consider taking Hwy 2 along the north shore of Lake Michigan as you make your way to Wisconsin.It is a beautiful stretch of Hwy that runs along mile and miles of sand dunes and beach and is a great place to stop for a break and swim on a hot summers day.

Check out the following website for detailed info. about northern Ontario points of interest and travel.Sounds like a fun trip,...drive safe and enjoy the ride.

Northern Ontario

PS-pack a fishing rod as you may want to catch a shore lunch or two from one of the many roadside lakes you will come across.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and comments. Looking forward to this trip.

Don

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You should probably try to avoid anything that begins with Royal... Royal Mounted Police for instance.... Royal Tavern (I dare anyone from Alberta to name the town where that one's located) etc.Good luck, sounds like an awesome road trip!

Growing up in Alberta, the Rockies are impressive, but they're just a backyard. Move away and you'll miss them dearly, funny that.
ok i will bite .
either taber or medicine hat comes to mind.
i know , one in every town !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts