Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week I've been driving and hear 2 sounds that are very alarming. One sounds like a whining noise and the other sounds like a fan blade that is hitting something. The car isn't throwing any lights and is still driving fine but I'm very concerned. If you listen careful you can hear the whining as it accelerates and the other noise as it's slowly.

Any help would be amazing. The video is purely for sound purposes only.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,289 Posts
Could not hear the whining noise.

You don't provide the age of the car or miles the car has. But a whining noise often is a water pump but with one of my cars a whine/dry bearing sound proved to be an accessory drive bad idler roller bearing. I had all replaced. Then years later an intermittent chirp signaled one of the "new" ones was bad.

Check the accessory drive system for any signs of a belt issue or bad idler bearing or a loose accessory drive. That is check for bearing play. You'll have to remove the belt. Be sure you note the correct routing and direction so if you reuse the belt you put it in on correctly and running in the same direction.

You have a number of accessories to check.

Any accessory drive with any bearing play is almost certainly bad.

If the fluttering noise seems to be in "sync" with the engine speed it could be an exhaust leak.

Or another reason to check the accessory drive. I had a car develop an odd noise -- hard to describe but it wasn't "normal" -- that proved to be something caught in the accessory drive system. Whatever it was blew out when I had the car flat bedded 30 miles to the dealer. (The car was mid engine and I could not inspect the engine with the car on the ground. It needed to be lifted up.)

If the fluttering noise seems to be in "sync" with the tire/wheel rotation or at least not in sync with the engine check tires for any signs of issues. Check lug nuts are tight. Ideally the car should be lifted and supported by its body lift points to check for possible wheel bearing problem. Then lifted by its wheels/tires and the drive train -- mainly the CV joints -- checked. Some models have a 2 piece drive shaft and the joint or support for the drive shaft can go bad.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
In the past week I've been driving and hear 2 sounds that are very alarming. One sounds like a whining noise and the other sounds like a fan blade that is hitting something. The car isn't throwing any lights and is still driving fine but I'm very concerned. If you listen careful you can hear the whining as it accelerates and the other noise as it's slowly.

Any help would be amazing. The video is purely for sound purposes only.
Hi DCLethalRT,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,628 Posts
I could hear the whining noise, but I’m not sure what the most likely candidate is on that car. I would say something in the power steering system, but that may not apply if yours has the electro-hydrolic or whatever the newest tech for that is.

It’s clearly dependent on engine RPM, but does the car having to be moving to make that noise? What if it’s in Park or Neutral and you rev the engine, is the noise still present?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. So to give a few more specifics, the car is a 2016 RT. The car does need to be moving to hear the whining noise. If it helps, I first started to hear the fan blade sound when i was driving home. I came off the parkway slowed down to pay a toll and heard a very distinctive pop. I immediately panicked but no lights went on and the car drove fine still.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,628 Posts
It’s probably because the speaker on my phone isn’t very good, but I cannot hear the other noise besides the whining in that video.

As far as diagnosing the whining sound goes, I think I would grab a pry at or something similarly long and pointy, and use it as a makeshift stethoscope to check each of the accessories’ pulleys on the front of the engine for bearings and/or rotating shafts making too much noise to be normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts