Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Challenger RT. Lately I have been noticing when I lock my car with the fob the alarm chirp has gotten quieter and quieter like it makes my car sound like a little pansy. The some times it will sound like it normal should. Just yesterday I noticed when I went to lock my car the alarm did not chrip at all, but the turn signals and tail lights still all flashed like norml so thats how I knew it locked.

Does anybody know if this is a known issue or do you know what could be causing this? Its really bugging me, ESPECIALLY now that my windshield got cracked on the freeway on my way to work I really want my alarm fixed. Makes my car feel like its falling apart :crying:

Thank you family!!

Reactions: Challenger79

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Does the horn sound normal when you press the steering wheel? Horns do go bad sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Or a bad ground on the horn....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the horn sound normal when you press the steering wheel? Horns do go bad sometimes.
Yeah, the horn is still working fine and normal on the steering wheel!

Dang are both the steering wheel horn and alarm chirp all connected together??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or a bad ground on the horn....
Are you suggesting maybe new wiring to use for the ground?
Or try to move the ground elsewhere?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Dang are both the steering wheel horn and alarm chirp all connected together??
Well on my 2012 locking the car makes the horn chirp, I would think it's the same in 2009? Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I have a 2009 Challenger RT. Lately I have been noticing when I lock my car with the fob the alarm chirp has gotten quieter and quieter like it makes my car sound like a little pansy. The some times it will sound like it normal should. Just yesterday I noticed when I went to lock my car the alarm did not chrip at all, but the turn signals and tail lights still all flashed like norml so thats how I knew it locked.

Does anybody know if this is a known issue or do you know what could be causing this? Its really bugging me, ESPECIALLY now that my windshield got cracked on the freeway on my way to work I really want my alarm fixed. Makes my car feel like its falling apart :crying:

Thank you family!!
I am getting older and my hearing is getting worse. Maybe yours is too. Just a thought.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well on my 2012 locking the car makes the horn chirp, I would think it's the same in 2009? Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
You are probably right, i was just thinking that they maybe both were on seperate horns but im sure you are right haha

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am getting older and my hearing is getting worse. Maybe yours is too. Just a thought.
Haha i like that good thought, and dang I hope not because I just turned 24 so i got a rough life ahead of me then with my hearing if thats the case!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do you live in a cold climate ? I am in NY and right now we are freezing our arses off ! My Saturn has the remote start feature and when its very cold out in the morning (after sitting all night), when I start the car, the horn sounds like a small fart ! I found out that the horn has some sort of diaphragm that gets frozen and causes the horrible grunt. My brother installed one of those train horns in his truck and his horn scares the bejeesus out you!

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Are you suggesting maybe new wiring to use for the ground?
Or try to move the ground elsewhere?

Thank you
Don't know if the horn is grounded to the body like the old days.....I can look in the am

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Don't know if the horn is grounded to the body like the old days.....I can look in the am
If the horn sounds normal when you push the steering wheel then I doubt the ground is bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the horn sounds normal when you push the steering wheel then I doubt the ground is bad.
Yeah my steering wheel horn sounds normal and strong haha im not sure what is going its im so lost!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah my steering wheel horn sounds normal and strong haha im not sure what is going its im so lost!

I don't have access (at the moment) to the wiring diagrams, but there is another possibility.

A lot of automobile manufacturers will put the switch on the ground side (because, if the switch wiring shorts to ground, all it will do is sound the horn; wired with the switch on the hot lead, the same short can do a lot more damage). In that case, the steering wheel horn button may be on a different ground circuit than the alarm system.

...that is to say, perhaps the ground on the steering wheel button is just fine, so the horn sounds normally when using that. the ground on the alarm circuit might be deteriorating, though, and that would account for the weak sounding horn, when activated by that circuit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts