Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 09 R/T and the inside part of the instrument cluster lenses have runs and smears on them from some type of liquid. How hard is it to get to them to clean? or should I just take it back to the dealer I bought it from and let thier bodyshop do the work. I just purchased the car two days ago and when I drove it home I thought the smears where on the outside of the lenses from when they detailed the car. But when I went to clean them the smears are on the inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Remove the speedometer assambly is easy the only challenge is the black plastic trim over the cluster ( dash bezel ). First remove the plastic trim panel under the steering column. has a couple screws on the bottom, you also have to take the strip trim 2x6 runs between the dash frame and the door it just pulls off and there is a screw under it that holds the pannel also. then there is one to two screws on the dash bezel at the bottom, then the fun starts pulling on the pannel, it pulls out at the bottom and top, and it holds on tight... the speedometer cluster is held in with 4 screws with phillips and socket head screws use a nut driver is best with a magnet or something stickey on it for the two on the right side, if not they will fall down in the dash and end up somewhere... and you are not getting them back!!! left side if they drop will hit the floorboard. now the cluster is loose, pull foward to get it off the pins that fold it in place about a 1/2 inch and lift up until it hits the top of the dash and kick the bottom out and it will come out.
on the rear on the right there is two plugs, squeeze the little fingers and pull wire harness plugs out. dont worry two different sizes and will not be able to mix up. left side is a single plug, do same to remove it. now the cluster is sitting in your hand.
Take inside house to minimize dust and lay on something soft face down. remove 6 torx screws and lens should come off. ( been a while since i had mine apart) take the plastic lens off and clean with a very soft CLEAN towel. micro fibre will work. if a harsh cleaner was used that left the lens chemicial burnt then use mothers mag and chrome cleaner to cut thru the goo and polish back to like new. reverse procedure and you are good to go. Now just a thought you could change the guage background also while you are at it.
so have fun and take your time and do not get fustrated and start yanking on the the plastic, just look real hard for any screws you might of missed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
just noticed it's mother's mag and chome polish not cleaner or any other really fine metal or plastic polish, eagle1 mag and chrome polish works great also... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again for all the info...even though I bought the car used the Dodge dealer said it would take care of the problem free of charge which they did. They actually had to replace the cluster lense with a new one because the damged one had some type of glue on the inside. I am usually not picky but they scratched the heck out of the plastic on the top of my steering wheel column. But what are ya gonna do...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts