Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2013 PCP Classic M6 which I've had for a year bought new. The only things that ticked me off was the alignment issue (now corrected) and that it has the 3.73 gears of which the dealership basically will not change out to 3.92s. I have an opportunity to get a used 2014 PCP SRT A5 that has about 500 miles on it. Previous owner had it a few days with no issues as far as I know. I've always preferred the M6. However, wifey can't drive a manual. I figured she'd learn, but she's told me one too many times of close calls in her vehicle, spooking me somewhat. The vehicle we want is the one we want to keep, but I wouldn't mind keeping my rockstar PCP Classic if the price is too high. If something happens to me, at least she could drive an auto (I'm NOT thrilled with MDS, as it's just one more thing to go wrong). Aside from the obvious performance increase, is there any issues with the A5 and Sport Mode, or anything else with SRTs in general I should know about?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The Classic should have shipped with 20" wheels and the 3.91 diff, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I went from a 2007 300C SRT8 to a Challenger 392 M6 back to a 2012 300 SRT, but no matter how beautiful that Chrysler was, I could NOT get used to the automatic anymore. So I got the Challenger 392 M6 I now have.

You have to decide what's best for you and your wife, of course. But before you give up what you want and spend the money on an automatic, make sure she WILL, in fact, BE driving the Challenger.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I went from a 2007 300C SRT8 to a Challenger 392 M6 back to a 2012 300 SRT, but no matter how beautiful that Chrysler was, I could NOT get used to the automatic anymore. So I got the Challenger 392 M6 I now have.

You have to decide what's best for you and your wife, of course. But before you give up what you want and spend the money on an automatic, make sure she WILL, in fact, BE driving the Challenger.
So true. My wife can drive a manual but doesn't like them. I do. I like the auto also. You could say they each have good and bad things about them. She wanted me to get the auto because that's what she prefers (but she never drives my car). I like my auto just fine but if I had it to do over again, I most likely would have gotten the M6.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I currently have a 2013 PCP Classic M6 which I've had for a year bought new. The only things that ticked me off was the alignment issue (now corrected) and that it has the 3.73 gears of which the dealership basically will not change out to 3.92s. I have an opportunity to get a used 2014 PCP SRT A5 that has about 500 miles on it. Previous owner had it a few days with no issues as far as I know. I've always preferred the M6. However, wifey can't drive a manual. I figured she'd learn, but she's told me one too many times of close calls in her vehicle, spooking me somewhat. The vehicle we want is the one we want to keep, but I wouldn't mind keeping my rockstar PCP Classic if the price is too high. If something happens to me, at least she could drive an auto (I'm NOT thrilled with MDS, as it's just one more thing to go wrong). Aside from the obvious performance increase, is there any issues with the A5 and Sport Mode, or anything else with SRTs in general I should know about?
The two-mode suspension, brakes, and engine will be a big driveability upgrade over what you currently have. The 392 combined with the auto makes it one of the quickest 1/4mi Challengers.

1st gear: 0-45mph
2nd gear: 45-78mph
3rd gear: 78-120mph

If you like the manual, I think you'll want to keep rowing your own gears but the auto isn't that bad, especially if you want to meet the needs of your wife as well. I too had to do this because my wife is not comfortable driving a manual.

I'd say test drive the 2014 SRT. Put the car in track mode (push the sport button two times), use the paddle shifters and go take it on a spirited test drive.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
The Classic should have shipped with 20" wheels and the 3.91 diff, correct?
Yes it should have but there was a short period in 2013 when many R/T Classics with 6-speeds got a 3.73. It usually happened only with the base wheels but a couple of Heritage cars got it and at least one STP car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,014 Posts
I don't notice the MDS on this 2012 SRT unlike my first R/T which also had MDS and it sucked!!! The 6.4 auto SRT is a monster!!! I have manuals in my other cars but I can't shift quite fast enough like the auto can with these paddle shifters....

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
Is it YOUR car or a shared car? If it's yours why change? How will you feel if you do this and realize your not happy with your choice? My wife drives what she wants even if I don't like her choice because it's her car not mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts