Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus (Jazz Blue)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first challenger this year and while it is a 2017 SXT+ model I love the drive of this car and look forward to a few years down the road when I can graduate to a hemi. There is one thing I noticed but underestimated when I bought the car which was some paint damage that I thought I could buff out. The appear to be bird dropping etchings in the paint. I have tried buffing and polishing to no avail. I saw another post that suggested to try and heat the clear coat to get it to fill in which I tried incredibly cautiously and it made no difference at all. As I do not want to invest in painting a daily driver that will likely see more wear overtime I am looking for some options to potentially just cover it. I am thinking maybe some vinyl designs that I could strategically place.

See the shots of the area below and if you have some suggestions please send them to me via comments below. I took a couple shots of the area I want to cover up below. Specifically this is driver side rear of the car between the door and gas cap area.

Added another image with the area I want cover circled since the shine, reflections, and some left over fuzz was making it hard to tell what I was trying to show.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As a X Detailer , I don't suggest you do this yourself unless you have experience. But Wet Sanding would knock it down some or off completely. Negative this is your sanding away your clear coat in that area. It sucks when things like this happen and they happen a lot. just leave Bird Crap on your paint for a given amount of time and BAM paint damage, it really sucks.
Wet sanding , compounding , polishing and then protecting is really the only way to fix it without painting. If it was my car I would do it. I suggest having a professional do it unless your comfortable yourself.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,370 Posts
As an former ASE Painter never apply Heat that will cause body warping or pealing the paint leading to further damage. As mentioned by Mantis 1 If its in the Clear as said that needs to have a good detailer to wet block sand its then compound buff and then 3m finesse it. Do not try to put a decal over a ripple paint job or it will be showing the imperfection through a decal cheaper to get it done right.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Do not wet sand the finish. Not yet anyway. Use rubbing compound (via buffing wheel) w/water, then polish, then finalizer. You may be able to remove the staining before hitting the paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a X Detailer , I don't suggest you do this yourself unless you have experience. But Wet Sanding would knock it down some or off completely. Negative this is your sanding away your clear coat in that area. It sucks when things like this happen and they happen a lot. just leave Bird Crap on your paint for a given amount of time and BAM paint damage, it really sucks.
Wet sanding , compounding , polishing and then protecting is really the only way to fix it without painting. If it was my car I would do it. I suggest having a professional do it unless your comfortable yourself.
Thanks and I agree. This would not have happened if I was the original owner but I bought it used and under-estimated the extent of the damage. I have taken the car to a few shops in my area (South of Nashville TN.) they all jump to painting that section of the car. I am not super comfortable doing this but I am warming up to the idea of it for sure. I appreciate the advice and the quick reply.

As an former ASE Painter never apply Heat that will cause body warping or pealing the paint leading to further damage. As mentioned by Mantis 1 If its in the Clear as said that needs to have a good detailer to wet block sand its then compound buff and then 3m finesse it. Do not try to put a decal over a ripple paint job or it will be showing the imperfection through a decal cheaper to get it done right.
I appreciate the advice thanks!

Do not wet sand the finish. Not yet anyway. Use rubbing compound (via buffing wheel) w/water, then polish, then finalizer. You may be able to remove the staining before hitting the paint.
I tried this but with a crappy B&D bonnet buffer. I was thinking about investing in a decent one. After doing a bit of research I am considering the Torqx kit from Chemical guys. But if you have another recommendation I am open to it. Thank you for the advice and the quick response!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Actually if it needs to be resprayed not a big deal when I worked at 2 Dealerships and a few Body Shops Painting we did panel respray and blends a good Shop with good Paint System can make it seamless with no refinish differences. If too much material is removed then you have bigger issues in the end. Then all current expenses are still stuck with a respray cost. If good reliable shops sugguest a panel refinish then id consider it personally. Yes its a little costly but how much do you spend other wise on Materials, Good Buffer, Compounds, hows of work and clean up compounds making a mess etc unless you do a whole deep detail which cost money etc., If a body panel is not straight and level as mentioned a decal will not lay flat either and if they don't go on right more money blown on the decal and a pro to put it on. If you were going to quickly dump it then the cheapest way out might be considered plan on keeping do it right and in long run its worth going the right way.

·
Banned
173 Posts
I worked for 4 years at Ford Motor (Avon Lake, OH) in the paint dept. My job was to inspect and correct imperfections in the finish. Use a DA w/4" head. Per my experince, DJ is correct.

Reactions: n0madtanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually if it needs to be resprayed not a big deal when I worked at 2 Dealerships and a few Body Shops Painting we did panel respray and blends a good Shop with good Paint System can make it seamless with no refinish differences. If too much material is removed then you have bigger issues in the end. Then all current expenses are still stuck with a respray cost. If good reliable shops sugguest a panel refinish then id consider it personally. Yes its a little costly but how much do you spend other wise on Materials, Good Buffer, Compounds, hows of work and clean up compounds making a mess etc unless you do a whole deep detail which cost money etc., If a body panel is not straight and level as mentioned a decal will not lay flat either and if they don't go on right more money blown on the decal and a pro to put it on. If you were going to quickly dump it then the cheapest way out might be considered plan on keeping do it right and in long run its worth going the right way.
Great feedback. I just haven't found a shop yet to give me what I would think to be a reasonable quote. I have been to 3 suggested shops in my area for a partial respray the quotes have been over $2k. Which is a bit more than I want to spend.

·
Banned
173 Posts
I tried this but with a crappy B&D bonnet buffer. I was thinking about investing in a decent one. After doing a bit of research I am considering the Torqx kit from Chemical guys. But if you have another recommendation I am open to it. Thank you for the advice and the quick response!
You're only option is to take the surface down until the staining is gone, of course. Rent or purchase a 4" DA, and look to YouTube for instructional clips. From what I see, the staining appears to be a chemical reaction with the finish and ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am going to try Sweet Orange's suggestion. I will post some after pic's in a few days once I get one and have given it a shot. I do really appreciate all of your quick responses.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Great feedback. I just haven't found a shop yet to give me what I would think to be a reasonable quote. I have been to 3 suggested shops in my area for a partial respray the quotes have been over $2k. Which is a bit more than I want to spend.
That's insane for a quarter panel refinish and feather blend.......... Good luck keep us posted.........

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
If you think you'll use it often/do your own detailing. If you think it will be once in a blue moon

A Guy

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am not surprised on the quote you got for that color. I had a chip in the paint when I got my car from the transporter. Luckily one of the guys in the body shop took the time and was able to make the spot mostly disappear. They wanted to paint it but to make it blend right on indigo blue (this was on the door on the body line right below the door handle) they wanted to blend all of the way to the from fender, hood a-piller, partial roof, rear quarter, deckled, widebody flares, and rear bumper. Guy told me that unless they went that extensive they were never going to make it look right and you would still be able to see where it was done if they just did the panel.

I have fixed spots like this, but smaller, on my own by carefully sanding with 1500 grit, then sanding with 3000 grit, and lastly using a good compound to bring the shine back. You do have to be careful and it is a lot easier to do on a non-metallic over a metallic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts