Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been lurking for quite some time. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 srt8.

Couldn't be happier! :grin2:

I am installing an rx speed Catch can and it has 2 vacuum inputs and an output. I attached one input from egr valve on passenger valve cover, ran the outflow back to the cold air intake behind the throttle body in the port originally occupied by the factory hose from egr valve. Most catch cans I see only have the two lines.

The insturctions say the third hose is for a source of intake manifold vacuum. Where the heck do I find that?

Thanks in advance! Everyone on here is awesome, and I've learned a ton already!

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I don't understand what you are trying to do. I assume this is an oil catch can? If so, it is supposed to go in the PCV circuit, not the EGR. Maybe I don't understand.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
The catch can lines go from PCV Valve to Catch Can and from Catch Can back to Intake Manifold using the same two locations that the factory PCV hard line used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops sorry, I meant PCV.... Thinking PCV but typing egr. Yeah it appears they are looking for an additional vacuum line. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It appears one is from the intake manifold. Is there a port that can be tapped into?

Rx Speedworks, Monster Catch Can (I won't be using the clean air intake in driver side oil fill location.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
No idea, that's the first I've seen one with three fittings. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I might just cap it and use it like all the other 2 line catch cans. Unless of course someone could point me a vacuum line or port I could tap into. They actually included a "T" connector with the kit.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No way I would tap into a vacuum line or port and it just isn't needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well spoke with RX speedworks today and they set me straight on the second vacuum line.

So I apparently I just need to put a barbed connector in my CAI tube before the throttle body (it's included), and attach the line there. The air coming into the CAI tube at WOT creates a vacuum in this line due to a venturi affect. That way as vacuum drops from the PCV line as throttle increases, the CAI line increase.

In theary anyway the can will always be under vacuum. So I will install the barbed fitting and run the line.

Appreciate the responses!

·
Registered
552 Posts
If I understood your description correctly. Do not use the 3rd port vacuum line. You may have crankcase fumes going into the inlet side of the throttle body with open throttle. Also, if there is not a check valve in that vacuum line you will not get full vacuum on the PVC line.
The only reason I can conceive for this is for emissions.
It is not necessary and I would not use it as they direct. Just use the PVC and intake inlet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They provided a check valve for the third line. The idea behind the third line is that the can is always under vacuum irregardless of throttle position. Therefore always functioning.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thats pretty interesting. Its the first time I have heard of a three line catch can.

Oil still gets through the catch can so putting it in front of your TB will cause it to build up on the TB.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I sure wouldn't want to gunk up my throttle body with that nasty stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts