Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting new wheels for the Challenger R/T. I'm going 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 on the back. I know nothing about tires. I just need to know the basic size tires I need for both. This is my daily commuter so a nice smooth ride would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
You have ALOT of options. Given you have an RT, I assume you appreciate performance, yet need a tire that is good for daily commuting... Also, it depends if you want all season, 3 season or summer tires... generally speaking, summer tires are the stickiest (best performance), all season tires, the hardest (least performance, but high mileage before wear out)... of course, there are grades within grades... phew, its confusing! LOL

Not knowing specifics, I suggest the following:

I don't know if they make tires for your size wheels (just check on their website or tirerack, etc.).
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta: 3 season/summer tires, more geared towards warmer weather, but will work well in cooler temps (not winter)... probably the best overall tire (good treadwear and excellent performance)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I need tires for all season but I need sizes!!! I have no clue on sizes.
Most people I've seen with staggered 20s run 245/45/20 on front and 275/40/20 on the back.
Yeah, but he's rollin' on 10" wides on the rear... given that, you do NOT want WIDE tires for all seasons (in winter time). Wide tires will float over snow and act like snowmobile skis... bad idea.

May I suggest you compromise... get a set of steel wheel for winter and throw on some winter tires... use the wheels you have now (8.5" front, 10" rear) for spring, summer, fall... and get some decent tires for that setup?!

If that's the case, I believe 315's in the rear are about the comfort level for a 10" wide wheel... for the 8.5", I'd go no bigger than 255, 245 to be safer.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
If you go 315's in the rear like I have, the offset better be perfect or you'll be rubbing. I'd recommend a 295 or maybe a 305 to avoid headaches. I'd look at Nitto Invos in a 255/45/20 up front (a bit taller than 245/45/20 stockers if you had 20's) and a 295/35/20 in the rear ( a bit shorter than stockers). Here's a link if you're curious.

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts

They're good all arounders, especially for the money. Much better than the GY RSA's...what crap and pricey. If you're blown / significant power adder I'd go stickier (lower treadwear rating) like an NT05.

Good luck.

HemiSam

·
Registered
2012 Challenger SRT8
161 Posts
I'm running 20x8.5 and 20x10 rims on my R/T. Using the BF Goodrich TA KDW's in 245/40-20 and 295/40-20. These are a "ultra high performance summer" tire so you would need something else for the winter if you drive it all year in a place where it gets cold and snows. Mine is tucked away during the winter so that wasn't a concern. If I were to drive it in the winter I would probably put a good winter tire on the factory wheels and swap them out when appropriate.

Here's a pic of the setup on my car.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Good luck with your choice!

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,120 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts/experiance with the Nitto 420S
The reviews on discount tires site are very positive.
I will be needing tires come fall and also need all season performance for my daily driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts