Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions for you Challenger Experts!

First I am in need of new tires for my 2016 392. I am wondering if I should get a fresh set of P Zeros the same that came with the car, or get a different tire? What would you guys recommend? And also would you stagger the tires so the rear set is wider than the front tires? Thanks!

Second question I have 15k miles on my 392 and the the brakes are squeaking all the time and it’s driving me insane! are the brakes under warranty? Or should I just take them to brake masters and have them look at it? Thanks guys and girls!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions for you Challenger Experts!

First I am in need of new tires for my 2016 392. I am wondering if I should get a fresh set of P Zeros the same that came with the car, or get a different tire? What would you guys recommend? And also would you stagger the tires so the rear set is wider than the front tires? Thanks!

Second question I have 15k miles on my 392 and the the brakes are squeaking all the time and it’s driving me insane! are the brakes under warranty? Or should I just take them to brake masters and have them look at it? Thanks guys and girls!
If you liked the way the car performed with the Pirelli P-Zeros might want to stay with them. I ran Pirelli tires on my Boxster off and on for 16 years and Pirelli was a good tire.

Not a fan of staggered tires unless the car was designed for staggered tires. (Both my Porsche cars ran staggered tires.) Staggered tires might present a problem with tire supply.

For brake squeaking I have found with other cars -- Porsche cars most recently -- giving the brakes a good washing helps.

I use a DIY car wash and use the "soap" nozzle setting then the "rinse" then follow with the "no spot rinse" setting.

Avoid jamming the wand nozzle tip right down at the calipers to avoid possibly damaging the rubber boots that protect the caliper pistons but you want to be sure you make every effort to remove all the dust/grime that has collected on the dust boots.

What happens is dust builds up and this interferes with the natural tendency of the pistons to retract slightly and in doing so pull the pads away from the rotor surfaces just a fraction of an inch. (The pistons pull back due to the seal hysteresis.)

If the pistons fail to retract this leaves the pads in light contact with the rotors and this can result in a bit of glazing taking place that can have the brakes making some noise.

Be sure you thoroughly rinse the soapy water using the rinse setting then follow with the no spot rinse. At the car wash I use the no spot rinse produces a low pressure spray so I can get the nozzle tip pretty close to the calipers and close to the piston dust boots and really do a thorough cleaning job.

After be sure you drive the car and use the brakes hard enough to get them hot to thoroughly dry the brake hardware. If you don't the brakes can rust up something fierce and under certain conditions using the heavily rusted brakes to bring the car to an emergency stop can result in brake pulsing due to uneven pad material deposition. So when you use the brakes use them hard but avoid bringing the car to a complete stop until after you have dried the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
The only problem with staggered size tires is that you can't rotate them for maximum wear. This may be a problem if your car is a daily driver.

I, however, think that 245/45-20s on the front and 275/40-20s on the rear, give the Challenger a cool "old school" look. That is what I am installing on my 2009 SRT next month.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Brakes/Rotors

Honestly, your best best is to get a good set or ceramic coated roaters and new brake pads. I would go with Power Stop Rotors and Brake pads. They make two different high performance kits the Z/23 and Z/26. I'd go with the Z/26. It will give you better stopping power and the ceramic coated rotors should stop the squeaking and brake dust.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just put 275's and 245's on my 2013 SRT8 with new MRR GT5 wheels too. 20 x 10's and 20 x 8.5's and I love the look and handling. I researched the tires and decided on Nitto Motivo's. They are made in America, have excellent reviews, and are quite a bit cheaper than Pirelli P Zero's and Contiential's. I would also advise you to change to ceramic brake pads to as ZEN357 suggests.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For tires sizes. Depends on Your wheel widths.

I like the Continental extremecontact sport. I have them 275/40 front and 305/35 rear. Love this setup. They stick well. You need a wider rear wheel to properly run this setup.

With a 9” or 9.5” wheel you can run a 275/40 square setup. For that I would either go Continental extremecontact sport or the Michelin PS4S.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the tips! Really appreciate it, I will try later today.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
I second the Continental Extreme Contact sport DW (summer tires). I run the P Zero all season in the winter but will be switching to the Continental DWS.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I know a lot of Challenger club members who swear by theses tires https://www.amazon.com/Atturo-AZ850-High-Perfomance-40ZR20/dp/B00XU6J0YS hard to beat the price for sure.

After two rounds on Pirelli's, I went with Conti Extreme Contact Sports and like them much better.

I had the PowerStop Z26's and threw them in the trash after 3K miles. Sure they are pretty dustless but didn't perform at highway speeds for me. Properly bedded and I still almost rear-ended a guy when I had to do a panic stop on the interstate. They would not bite and lock up the wheels. I've gone with Hawk pads now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have done some research and if/when I need to replace tires I will go with Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06. Assuming you want an all season tire, these are highly rated, affordable and show long tread life.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
66 Posts
Honestly, your best best is to get a good set or ceramic coated roaters and new brake pads. I would go with Power Stop Rotors and Brake pads. They make two different high performance kits the Z/23 and Z/26. I'd go with the Z/26. It will give you better stopping power and the ceramic coated rotors should stop the squeaking and brake dust.
I second the Z/26 pads from Power Stop but you don't need to change the rotors. My brakes started to squeal from all the brake dust at around 15K miles. I threw on the Power Stop Z/26's and there's no more issue with brake dust or squealing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also have a 16 SRT and mine has 6k miles. I got drag radials on the back. The traction is amazing! If you need traction, and don't mind if they wear quick, I recommend them. I also have 4 Potenza RE71R tires. They too will wear quickly, but the traction and turning is off the charts.

I recently installed Powerstop brake pads. The Z26 model seems to have better stopping power, with barely any brake dust, and little squeaking. They were like $60 a pair.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Remove the brake pads and smear some CRC Silaramic ceramic based brake grease where the calipers contact the pads. CRC also makes a product called Disc Brake Quiet you can use instead of the Silaramic. I've never used it but have used Silaramic with every brake job. Stops the squeal for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is Z/26 power stop the best pads you guys all recommend or is there something better? I don’t care about price, I just want to be able to stop on a dime and little break dust would be a bonus. These stock pads on my brembos for the 392 spit out so much brake dust it’s insane, I can’t keep the wheels clean Lol!

The one member mentioned he felt he couldn’t stop fast enough on the highway? Anyone else have this issue with the Z/26

1 - 16 of 16 Posts