• Go to 20" on all 4 for winter mounted on OEM Rims

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to pull the trigger on 2 sets of tires.

The rims that are on the car now are OEM 20" Chrome Clads. The 245/45R-R20 tires currently on there are needing replacement BAD!

The final goal of what I want to do is:

4) BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 mounted on Heritage Rims/American Racing Torq Thrust M for my Spring, Summer and Fall Driving

All that I do know what I am trying to do is what is referenced as to being "Staggered".

As far as my driving type.... I don't hit tracks, I do drive "spirited" often. I pretty much use the car all year long other then when snow and ice is covering the roads. If the roads are clear, its game on!

I am going to put up a poll for the rims size. If you care to leave me posts about size width's in the rear or any comments about rim sizes..please do so. I want to make sure I do this right the first time so I need input of what is doable. So what do you guys think?

NOTE: POLL IS MULTI-SELECTION. SO YOU CAN CHOOSE TO VOTE FOR 18"s or 20"s FOR EITHER SEASON.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Buy winter tires and mount them on 18" rims. I used 225/60-18 and mounted them on OEM R/T rims. They are ever so slightly taller than the 235/55-18 tires the car came with, but not enough to make a difference (speedometer or otherwise).

Narrower tires work better in snow anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Oh, if you decide to put on 225/60-18 winter tires, note that you can easily overwhelm them on dry roads. You don't want to waste winter rubber by spinning all day long so you may have to tame down your spirited driving just a bit in winter.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do narrower tires work better in the snow? I would have thought that wider being covering more ground would get more area or traction.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
A narrower tire cuts through snow better because the weight of the car is focused on a smaller tread area, as opposed to a wide tire that would spread the weight out and sit on top of the snow, resulting in less traction. On pavement it's different because you're not trying to dig through anything. You're relying on the friction between the tire and road surface for grip, so the wider the better in that case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Okay, I prefer 20s on my challenger. However I have driven the bfg sport comp 2s through snow and they work. My only complaint is that they will probably only last 12-15k miles. I went through them really fast idk why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts