Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drop the headliner down on my 10 R/T in hopes of tapping out a small dent (from an acorn) in the center of the roof. I don't need to remove it, just drop it down a bit.

Any thoughts on how to do this? Removal of window pillars (sp?), interior lights and so on. Can it even be done?

·
Registered
285 Posts
No Easy Fix

I had a small roof ding from the factory. The body shop and a dent removal guy tried to fix the problem to no avail. There is a second sheet of metal under the roof which prohibits a roof dent fix. I have a sunroof and they tried to go from under the opening but again, a second sheet of metal. The dealer advised that they would fill the dent and repaint the roof. No thanks, I'll live with the ding. Actually, no one but us (owners) would probably notice it anyway.

Also, I had a hanging edge on my roof liner which was fixed with glue. It is my understanding that if the original liner is removed, you would probably have to replace it with a new liner, which requires the removal of the windshield or a door. Again, no thanks.

Just cut down the offending tree, it will make you feel better!!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,735 Posts
I thought they were designed to drop down on their own?:browsmiley:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a small roof ding from the factory. The body shop and a dent removal guy tried to fix the problem to no avail. There is a second sheet of metal under the roof which prohibits a roof dent fix. I have a sunroof and they tried to go from under the opening but again, a second sheet of metal. The dealer advised that they would fill the dent and repaint the roof. No thanks, I'll live with the ding. Actually, no one but us (owners) would probably notice it anyway.

Also, I had a hanging edge on my roof liner which was fixed with glue. It is my understanding that if the original liner is removed, you would probably have to replace it with a new liner, which requires the removal of the windshield or a door. Again, no thanks.

Just cut down the offending tree, it will make you feel better!!
Not doubting you, but this seems odd to me. Why in the world would they run a second layer of sheet metal under the entire roof and not just double the thickness of the roof top? Did you actually see this second layer? My car does NOT have a sun roof. Would they have done this on sun roof cars only, to add for strength?

Now I have seen car makers reinforce outer sheet metal but to run a second layer of roof material seems costly and not a good idea. Maybe someone else will add their thoughts to this. Thanks for your help, any comments are welcome!!!! I want to know what I am getting into before I try and drop it down.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
let the professionals do this. i had 27 dents from hail. they fixed all of them without any paint or filler. i noticed that they missed one on my drivers door, so i went back. i asked them for an appointment to get it fixed. the guy at the counter took the car around the back of the shop to show his guy the ding he missed. i waited for 5 minutes and he drove the car back around to the front. he got out and said, you're all set. i was thinking i could bring it back the next day for my appointment. he said, no, it is all fixed.

i couldn't believe it. i looked very close and it was gone. no signs of a dent ever being there. now, there was no time to pull the door panel and push the dent out. it was all fixed right from the outside.

they didn't tell me their secrete. the point is, don't take anything apart on your car. have the professional look at it. $85 a ding is a bargan if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I had 2 round dings on my roof from super sized acorns this year (acorns were size of huge marbles). I was able to repeat the pulling procedure on each dent using Pops-A-Dent tool until they disappeared completely. This device works great on small round dings with our thin sheet-metal Challengers.

Amazon.com: Pops-a-dent Dent & Ding Auto Car Repair KIT Popper DIY: Automotive
Pops-a-dent Dent & Ding Auto Car Repair KIT Popper DIY

$15.50 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 2 round dings on my roof from super sized acorns this year (acorns were size of huge marbles). I was able to repeat the pulling procedure on each dent using Pops-A-Dent tool until they disappeared completely. This device works great on small round dings with our thin sheet-metal Challengers.

Amazon.com: Pops-a-dent Dent & Ding Auto Car Repair KIT Popper DIY: Automotive
Pops-a-dent Dent & Ding Auto Car Repair KIT Popper DIY

$15.50 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
You know I actually bought one of these then became concerned about the glue issue screwing up the paint. Ended up giving it away. Evidently you didn't have a problem with the glue issue.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The roof is not totally covered with a second metal skin under the H/liner . They do have a few braces that run from side to side and if it has a sunroof the sunroof module is bolts up and covers a lot of the exposed roof area . Now the edges that run the perimeter of the roof do have boxed sections under there. Depending the location of the dent you may have to remove the A post and or B post covers to access the debt area.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You know I actually bought one of these then became concerned about the glue issue screwing up the paint. Ended up giving it away. Evidently you didn't have a problem with the glue issue.
No issues with the clear plastic glue - comes right off and doesn't hurt the paint. I've already removed small dimpled side dings (away from body line of course) from kids opening rear doors on 4-door vehicles.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The roof is not totally covered with a second metal skin under the H/liner . They do have a few braces that run from side to side and if it has a sunroof the sunroof module is bolts up and covers a lot of the exposed roof area . Now the edges that run the perimeter of the roof do have boxed sections under there. Depending the location of the dent you may have to remove the A post and or B post covers to access the debt area.
"remove the A post and or B post covers"
Are you talking about the "pillar (sp?)" covers next to each side of the front windshield? At least I think that is what these are called. It would appear you MIGHT need to do this to drop the headliner down. As far as the secone metal skin, what you say makes sense.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
"remove the A post and or B post covers"
Are you talking about the "pillar (sp?)" covers next to each side of the front windshield? At least I think that is what these are called. It would appear you MIGHT need to do this to drop the headliner down. As far as the secone metal skin, what you say makes sense.
yes the A post pillar and B post pillar may need to be removed depending on the dent location

1 - 11 of 11 Posts