Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times? But I just want a quick simple answer!
I've been around cars all my life and have heard plenty of different exhaust systems. I just recently purchased a 2014 rt that I'm loving. It's great looking and runs amazing! I just want it to be a head turner from a sound perspective!
So if you could help me out in letting me know what the best sounding exhaust you have is? One that will make someone on the road say "what the heck was that" when I pass.

I'm leaning toward zoomers or corsa. But want more opinions!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Solo Mach-X is going into mine in the near future.

Reactions: 6Gears'N'Leadfoot

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are many great choices and the same system on an auto trans sounds differently from a manual trans, sound clips don't represent what you hear in person and took me months to decide, there is no fast answer. The price range is large and some systems look like a work of art and others seem to be a bit crudely made.
It's best if you narrow it down and find someone who will let you hear their system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. To be more specific it's a 6 speed and I'm looking for something that is loud, good sounding but not extreme annoying drone. I'm good with drone just not to much. And price range is anything up to 1500$.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the replys. To be more specific it's a 6 speed and I'm looking for something that is loud, good sounding but not extreme annoying drone. I'm good with drone just not to much. And price range is anything up to 1500$.
Zoomers made by Zoomers. :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Flowmaster American Thunder cat back. Touch of drone at about 15-20 mph in 2nd but other than that its great! Zero drone on the highway. They're not too loud but sounds mean. I get tons of compliments and the price is right. Closest I've heard to the '60s/'70s sound.

·
Registered
601 Posts
To the OP. if you want a head turner then I'd say loudmouth 1 or 2. Being a 6spd the drone is manageable to shift around. It is very loud though. I was gonna go that route but I need to occasionally take a long trip and the noise would drive me nuts. Now when I say noise I'm referring to the Mrs. in the passenger seat that won't shut up about the exhaust sound.

For the guys with the zoomers I have two questions.

1) what's the deal with that "flutter" sound I hear in videos? Does it do that in person or is that a recording thing and is there a way to eliminate it?

2) is a 3in practical if you don't plan on doing any other mods other than maybe a CAI? That's another reason I didn't do the loudmouth. 3in seems over kill with no mods and seems like a torque killer but I'm not sure because the stock cats may not make it matter

Ps to OP. if you are definitely getting a cat back, might as well cut off the resonators and see how you like it first. $200 bucks may save you $1300

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the OP. if you want a head turner then I'd say loudmouth 1 or 2. Being a 6spd the drone is manageable to shift around. It is very loud though. I was gonna go that route but I need to occasionally take a long trip and the noise would drive me nuts. Now when I say noise I'm referring to the Mrs. in the passenger seat that won't shut up about the exhaust sound.

For the guys with the zoomers I have two questions.

1) what's the deal with that "flutter" sound I hear in videos? Does it do that in person or is that a recording thing and is there a way to eliminate it?

2) is a 3in practical if you don't plan on doing any other mods other than maybe a CAI? That's another reason I didn't do the loudmouth. 3in seems over kill with no mods and seems like a torque killer but I'm not sure because the stock cats may not make it matter

Ps to OP. if you are definitely getting a cat back, might as well cut off the resonators and see how you like it first. $200 bucks may save you $1300
Thanks for this. When I say "head turner" I do mean loud in a way. But also with great sound quality. I think after reading other reviews and post I'm still stuck between zoomers and corsa extreme. It's hard to go off video sound. I've also considered just cutting the resonator. But I think I decided that I have the money I just want to do the full cat-back.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times? But I just want a quick simple answer!
There is no "quick simple answer" since it's totally subjective.

The only way you're going to get what you want is to hear it in person, all these videos on YouTube have crap sound so don't go by that. If I were you I'd either look for a MoPar club in your area or post looking for Challenger owners in your area with different exhausts that you can hear in person.

Yes, this question has been asked thousands of time and there have been thousands of different answers.

Waste of band width. :bang:

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you end up going with something with a bit more drone, buy a car cover and haul it around in the trunk with you, really helps to deaden the interior noise

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
You only notice the flutter if you're standing behind the car. During normal/heavy driving I just hear sweet Hemi goodness. As far as the flutter goes I see it more as a snarling beast ready to breathe fire!!! It's all about how you look at it. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
The two catbacks that people really like are Zoomers and Solo Mach x, I have Solo Mach X on my 2013 RT 6spd and love it. I work with a bunch of car guys and they rave about the sound. Best advice is to go listen to some systems for yourself before buying

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
380 Posts
Save yourself some money and buy some polished stainless steel exhaust pipe from Speedway Motors. They have it in sizes up to 3 inch OD. Wall thickness of .07 inch.
2 1/2 inch is like 14.95 or 15.95 a foot I think. Let your local exhaust shop do the rest unless you have the expertise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading many reviews and a in depth review of a guy that used multiple systems on his car. I think I'm leaning towards the zoomers. Thanks for all the replays guys!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a catback myself. Just listening to clips, I have wavered between different systems. But, I think I am going to go with the Flowmaster American Thunder. I have had flowmasters on stuff in the past and always loved them. So that is a selling point. Drone never bothered me. From challenger clips I have heard, it has the deep muscle car sound I am looking for. Some of the higher priced systems I have listed to clips of sometimes sound to me to be a bit too high pitched and fluttery under heavy throttle.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a catback myself. Just listening to clips, I have wavered between different systems. But, I think I am going to go with the Flowmaster American Thunder. I have had flowmasters on stuff in the past and always loved them. So that is a selling point. Drone never bothered me. From challenger clips I have heard, it has the deep muscle car sound I am looking for. Some of the higher priced systems I have listed to clips of sometimes sound to me to be a bit too high pitched and fluttery under heavy throttle.
I have that system and love it. Drone is minimal and only noticeable at low speeds in 2nd (with 6spd). It's the closest sound to the old muscle car sound from the systems I've heard. If you look around and negotiate with venders you can get a system for around $600-$650. Every time I take it to the dealership for an oil change or something it gathers a crowd with lots of compliments on the sound.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like Dynomax mufflers because of their flow numbers and straight thru design. If you want a really aggressive exhaust note try either the Welded Race Magnums or the Bullet mufflers. The Bullet mufflers look like a short glasspack but are not as loud as you would think on most street cars.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Solo mach x

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
If you have a 6 speed I would recommend just deleting the resonaters first, sounds just like a lot of the catbacks everyone is mentioning and it only costs about $250.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts